White Industries Hubs Hub

Hubs

White Ti Cassette/Tracker

kroe   Cross Country Rider [Mar 29, 2009]
Strength:

Light, very durable, easy to service, parts availability.

Price.

I have owned this set of White Industries titanium axle hubs since 1997. I rode them very hard for about three years, and never had an issue with them. I was away from the sport for a while, and recently rebuilt my old bike and got back into it. I rebuilt the hubs, and with a $12 parts order with White Industries (which unlike most manufacturers from the time I bought these still exists), replaced the pawl springs, re-oiled the hubs, and they were good as new.

These are lifetime hubs. They are dead simple inside, and the manufacturer supports their product. Expensive, but well worth it.

I would buy them again in a second, but will never need to.

Similar Products Used: XT, XTR, Specialized
Jon Severson   Racer [Jul 13, 2002]
Strength:

Super easy to maintain. HIGH tolerances. Excellent customer service. Solid. Build well at high tension. Lightweight. But most important STRONG!!!!

unknown in the world of overhyped expensive crap. (though King I'll say is on par)

This is the scoop folks. I was the head of customer service at Lew Composites (now defunct) and I saw lots of wheels and talked with many riders...people who put 10,000 plus miles on a year. Pros...European Pros. The works. I built more wheels than I can count at EXTREMELY high tensions for Lew. My wheel builder built a ton of wheels with these hubs. They are the best. Mint.

I personally dealt with a certain someone's wheels. The hubs had problems because he used a pressure washer to clean his bike. Only ONE outer bearing was bad. The bearings are not designed for that....but they are specifically designed for bikes. Also you are not suppose to grease the pawls only use a light sewing machine type oil.

White Industries makes my favorite hub right now hands down. Light, but not so much it sacrifices stength and buildability. Tune is an example of poor design. Hugi's are vastly overated. Grab a set of Whites. You'll be suprised.

I saw alot of crazy things working at Lew. All crash replacements. Only twice did I have a hub issue. Both times it was consumer related....not White.

To boot. They are nice people. They fixed Gary's bearing problem for FREE...even though it was his fault. Cool of them eh? And he posts a negative review......

Similar Products Used: King, American Classic, Mavic, Shimano XTR, Zipp, Machinetech, Hugi, Tune, Etc...
Timothy   Cross Country Rider [Mar 05, 2006]
Strength:

Strong, reliable, never let me down. Lightweight

These hubs have been built up with ti spokes and specialized rims for almost a decade. The wheels have been trued a few times, a broken spoke or two, but that's it. The hubs have never been serviced, have been riden hard and long, and have never let me down. I recently purchased a speedreamwheelset with White LTA hubs and they are just as good and I actually prefer the black anodization. They are ridiculously light and I have not had any problems yet. I weigh about 190. I am looking to build a freeride set next. Kings are great too, but I can't see much difference

Similar Products Used: Hugi, Shimano, others
Ride'M25   Weekend Warrior [Mar 02, 2002]
Strength:

Tracker (front) with oversized axle/Speed Racer (rear) Ti&4130cro-mo cassette bodies - triple cross/Sapim Laser(36h) & Race(32h) Spokes/Ambrosio CC24 double-eyelet rims: Provide the reliability, speed, endurance, longevity, and weight necessary for all-around cross country/free ride/expedition applications. It starts with the hubs. Six sets built-up over past two years and not a problem with any. Best all-around hubset on the market. A perfect set-up. A perfect design. Now the RacerX line takes over with similar flange diameter and possibly stronger hub shell design. Not a problem to service. Fully accessible customer/tech support from manufacturer.

Product - None. Market Share - Manufacturer would have much larger market share with enhanced marketing dept. devoted to the bicycle market since White Industries does machine parts for various high tech industries.

MANY TRASH-TALK REVIEWS DO NOT REVIEW THE HIGH-END TRACKER/SPEED RACER/AND NEW RACER X. These hubs would have a much higher rating if MTBR did not batch older version hubs and OEM lower-end hubs all together with the superb high-end hubs from White Industries. As with any hub, if taken care of and minimal maintenance aptitude, the high-end White Ind. hubs rival all the rest. Are they as good as Phil Wood? They are lighter and with maintenance can last a long, long time. Are they as good as Chris King? Every bit. Are they as good as Hugi 240? No contest. White Industries does precision manufacturing beyond just the bicycle industry. Their emphasis to other high tech industries is not dissimilar to Control Tech. They won't live or die from a down turn in the bike market. Bottom line: High end Quality stuff worthy to go on my bikes and perform up to my expectations.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT. Road - Campy, Ofmega, Stronglight (sealed), Normandy. Approaching middle age with road/aero background. MTB experience for past two years. Prior prototype tester to many manufacturers.
gary gromet   Racer [Dec 03, 2001]
Strength:

Light, 20 hole rear, smooth. The hub was used on the high performance Lew Sydneys because Lew-USA.com could not get a Hugi or Mavic 20 spoke rear hub.

The rear hub fails readily, especially in wet weather. Clicking noise when coasting gets tiresome. I would change the hub to Hugi or Mavic if I could, so would Lew which may have to build its own rear hub.

The first time I got these hubs wet they started to squeak and howl like a bird, then they just about seized. I had less than 1000 miles on the rear hub of the set of Lew Sydney wheels. I have ridden tens of thousands of miles on Mavic hubs and never had such a sudden unset of bearing failure. Only a mechanic who likes to work on overhauling his rear wheel hub should buy the White Industries rear hub and even then, change wheels if its starts to rain.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Kyserium.
Joey Baggadonuts   Cross Country Rider [Sep 25, 2001]
Strength:

Easy to maintain, smooth like butta to ride!

Don't know

I really dig my Tracker hub, and I have dug it for 3 or 4 years now, and I will probably keep digging it for many more years to come. You see, it is very easy to maintain, and is always smoooooth as silk to ride. Dig?

5 CHILIS!!!

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT, LX
john su   Cross Country Rider [Mar 17, 2004]
Strength:

silky smooth, lightweight, quality build, great looks

bought these on ebay to replace mail order lx/rhinolite rims. what a huge difference! i had the lx/rhynolite wheelset 5 years, so how much of it was worn low-end hubs and heavy rims, vs. well maintained white industry hubs.... but i noticed the lighter weight and smoother hubs instantly. trails i've ridden over and over gain i had to brake much more often because of the increased speed! i ended up in the bushes because a corner i've taken many times i just flew off the cliff! love these hubs! the noise is definitely annoying compared to the old lx... wonder what the quietest high end hubs are because i've read the chris king hubs are loud too. anyways, a great upgrade!

Similar Products Used: lx, xt
Devin   Cross Country Rider [Oct 15, 2002]
Strength:

Enduring cartridge bearings and seals; bomb proof

I am not the type to write reviews (I'd rather not get involved-seems to turn into a pissing contest) but I simply couldnt resist after what I witnessed today. I've had the same White Ind. hubs since around '95. I've gone through a couple of different rims and never bothered with the hubs until today.

I just ordered some 517's which I'm going to lace to the White Ind hubs. I figured why not just overhaul the hubs since I've got em free from the spokes and they havent been dealt with since I bought them years ago.

The owner of the bike shop I work at couldnt understand why I would bother, he said the cartridge bearings were silky smooth. When I told him how old they were he was surprised. This guy is total old school and anti after market, yet he confessed he was impressed.

I used a razor blade to take the seals off so I could expose the bearings...completely clean. I wouldnt say that it was a process to get to the cartridge bearings to replace them, but it took some time. The bearings are more than adequately protected within the hubs as they should be at this price point. Nothings getting in there.

I cant remember what I paid for these hubs, somewhere in the neighborhood of 350.00, but I can definitely say they are worth every freakin penny. They are light and manufactured to last.

Now that I work at a bike shop (a great laid back job by the way if you are working your way through grad school) I can get the goods at cost but I figure why bother? These hubs havent let me down yet and I dont foresee them failing any time in future. Great stuff!

Similar Products Used: King; Nuke Proof
Larry Manhart   Weekend Warrior [Nov 29, 2001]
Strength:

Light and looks great.

became loose and makes a clicking noise if not frequently tightened.

I've had problems with it coming loose and making noise. For the small amount of wieght savings I'd stick with a less expensive Shimano XT hub.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Alivio, LX, & XT.
Adam   Downhiller [Apr 26, 2006]
Strength:

Truly beautiful hubs, classic, timeless, unique. Incredible performance, high tolerances, design innovation, strength. My friends have to pedal hard to keep up with me coasting downhill, its hilarious.

None really, but if we want to be nit picky...the spacers on the front hub "chub", which is a 20mm thru axel, need to be very slightly wider. This does not affect anything; I just have to put a slight amount of inward pressure on the fork arms while tightening the axel down. As I said, nit picky, other than that these are the best hubs I have ever ridden.

If you have the money and desire to own some of the best hubs available, try a set of White Industry hubs; I am sure you will be pleased with them.

Similar Products Used: Lots...for the past several years, primarily XTR. None that can even be compared, fairly.