White Industries Eccentric ENO Hub

White Industries Eccentric ENO Hub

White Industries ENO Eccentric Rear Hub: Our Eccentric ENO line of hubs are made specifically for bikes with vertical dropouts. The majority of bicycle frames made today are made with vertical dropouts, however, converting the frame...

[Aug 28, 2014]
Rawscoe

Strength:

This hub allowed me to use an old Specialized S-Works M4 hardtail frame as a singlespeed without the need for chain tensioners or toying with chainring sizes and half-links to get just the right amount of tension. The eccentric makes setting up the proper chain tension a snap, although it did take a ton of torque to get the unit from slipping. Even the very helpful support folks at White Industries told me to apply a lot of wrench, even to the point that the hex tool started flexing. But alas, it worked and I've had no slipping.

Sure, they're a bit pricey, but they are very high quality. One thing I did run into was the fact that the bolt washers that fit into the frame's dropouts did like to move downward when adjusting the chain tension. Some folks are lucky, and the tensioning adjustment moves against the frame - not mine. So, to cure this problem - and due to the fact that this old frame will always be a singlespeed - I JB Welded the washers into the dropouts! Don't laugh - it worked beautifully, and flat tire repairs are much, much easier on the trail now. If I move onto a new frame, I'll order new washers. Sure, I know you're laughing at me, at trust me when I say that I gave this idea a ton of thought beforehand, but it worked.

Overall, I really like this ingenious piece of cycling engineering. Finally, no clunky and noisy chain tensioners, and no chain/chainring fiddling to get proper tension!

Chris King, Shimano, Easton, Mavic

[Jun 01, 2011]
Big Steeve

Strength:

It works (so far). I like that it makes a nice symmetrical rear wheel. It should make for a stronger rear wheel in the long term.

Price, I dont remember exactly how much it cost, but the built-wheel was not cheap. I was not able to find it as a complete wheelset.

The ENO hub is what it says it is. Its a very clean way to convert your geared cross country frame to run as a Single Speed. My only gripe is that it was not cheaper. But, you have to pay to play. I have had a few rides on the hub so far and it works fine. No issues with slippage using a regular skewer/quick release. It's pretty easy to adjust the chain tension.

Its nice that you can get it with either Shimano Centercrock or ISO 6-bolt disc patterns.

I took a few flamin' Chilis off for the high price tag.

Shimano Cassette hub converted to single speed...btw, this works fine too and its super cheap.

[Apr 04, 2011]
peckerwood

What's up? No one's reviewed this product yet? It's been on the market for how long?

I don't have one but am considering it. Mostly I want to know how well it holds chain tension etc.

I guess if I buy one, I'll review for reals.