True Precision Stealth Hub

Stealth

Features:

• Front hub is convertible from bolt in to quick release to 20mm through axle
  • Large flanges help build a stiff wheel
  • Strong enough for downhill, light enough for cross country
  • Silent hubs don't scare any wildlife
  • Zero backlash for technical riding
  • Disk brake hubs compatible with the most popular disk rotors
  • Completely sealed from the elements
  • Little to no maintenance
  • Available in through axle versions for more rigid wheels
  • Made in USA
    rear hub: $270
    front hub(quick-release): $110
    front hub (thru-axle): $120

• User Reviews (20)

Luke   [May 30, 2013]
    Strength:

Fantastic hubs, there are no better hubs out there
    Highly recommend them

nada

All I can say is
    I LOVE THEM!!!1

Jezza   Cross Country Rider [Oct 09, 2012]
    Strength:

Super quick engagement, direct power to wheels, silent, and fast.

The weight.

I bought the latest S3 142x12 mtb hubs. I was skeptical on reading many that it is draggy etc. but still i wanted to know what its like to have instant engagement hubs.

All I can say its, WOW. the instant engagement meant that every time u put power to the pedals, it directs every stroke into the wheels immediately. it also meant for technical terrain on climbs, i was able to just pedal through easily. On downs, when i wanted to speed up, i didnt have to do much as the hub engaged immediately and speed me up almost immediately.

On the Drag issue, on the wheel truing stand, it looked like it didnt spin much but when fitted on to the bike and riding it, i have to say, it was a whole lot less draggy than Chris king hubs and was as fast as the hope evo hubs. it was actually fast.

the weight was a concern at first. 170g+ above my hope 142x12 evo hubs. but i lightened the tires, the rotors and tube to negate the overall rear wheel weight. so its not cheap to do all that. so unless you are willing to put some money down, well, its may not be for everyone. also, the weight is on the hubs, so it did not affect rotational weight much.

The true benefit is when i completed the ride and before it felt efficient, i also felt less tired overall. Awesomeness in every sense. the ride was quiet, i can climb immediately from rest to uphill, it was very very inspiring. i found new love in riding my mtb. pretty exciting actually.

Would i recommend it?

Well, before buying the S3, i was looking at other hubs of high engagements and price point. the usual suspects. Chris King, Hadley, I9, Chub/e13 Hubs. but i am glad, i chose the S3 because it has no engagement.

My personal opinion? Highly recommended. I am glad i jumped in and tried it out. really made a difference in my ride.

Similar Products Used: Hope evo, Gravity wheelset, Nukeproof hubs, Easton Havoc am wheelset, syncros FR hub, Shimano XTR 960 and XT 760, Megan hubs and white insustries m16.
    timms   Cross Country Rider [Dec 30, 2009]
    Strength:

Engagement, Silence, Ease of Maintenance, Axle options

A little heavy

I bought this hub on eBay a in 2008, It was used when I bought it. I have to say that aside from the weight (about 400grams vs 260grams or a king rear), this is the best rear hub that money can buy. Straight pull alu spokes would make this my dream hub but that's asking quite a bit. rolling resistance is almost no existent, their are no pawls fighing against a ratchet of any kind. any direction it goes, if flows on bearings. I've considered selling it many times and am having a real hard time letting it go.

I made a video of it's internals as well as instructions on how to regrease. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K76bQm6DOKI

True precision also offers 10mm thru bolt options for a stiffer rear end.

at the price I paid, it was my best bike part purchase to date.

Similar Products Used: XTR 960 series.
    Andy   Downhiller [Jun 11, 2003]
    Strength:

Silent,instant engagement

Blows out,locks up

When I read about the hub I thought it would be great for climbing with the instant engagement but it cant handle heavy loads. It locked up on me. I sent it back and the same thing happened again.I used the reviews to help me make up my mind about buying the hub. I guess it would be ok if you only cross country ride and dont do any serious climbing.

Similar Products Used: XT,Hayes
    Sean   Cross Country Rider [Feb 06, 2007]
    Strength:

Tough, Silent, Instant engagement, helpful guys at True Precision

Not enough people know about it

I just wanted to say that the main complaint I hear is the weight, and I think it turns a lot of people off. Let me set the record straight: cog, bolts and all, this hub only outweighed a King by about a quarter pound, and that doesn't include the disc brake adapter for the King universal set up. My new hub is considerably lighter than my buddy's older Stealth hub. Considering that the King is probably the lighest, this puts the Stealth on par or better than most other hubs weight-wise, but it is far superior to these mechanically, and in my opinion to even the King. Obviously, or I would have bought that one. Great hub, great dealing with the guys at True Precision. Very helpful

Similar Products Used: Other hubs
    Andy Contes   Racer [Dec 18, 2001]
    Strength:

True Precision Stealth Hubs engage instantly. In a sprint situation this most important because there can not be any time lost waiting for the backlash to engage in normal hubs. With True Precision, power is transferred from the cranks to the ground instantly. This is a huge advantage when accelerating out of corners or out of the gate. Also, True Precision hubs are completely silent. This is a key feature because the other riders will not know where you are... STEALTH! Rolling resistance is at an all time minimum with Stealth hubs because they use the highest quality bearings. From an engineers/pro racers standpoint these are the hubs to use! Switching gears is also very easy and quick when using True Precision Stealth Hubs.

I have heard that the rear hub may be slightly heavier than normal. This is not an issue with me because rolling weight is most apparent when it is on the outside of the wheel. Since the hub is at the center of rotation this can be considered negligible. Also, after addition of a normal freewheel to any other hub, the True Precision hub may in fact be the lightest.

As stated in my product strengths section, True Precision Hubs are the most technologically advanced and best performing hubs that I have ever had on any of my racing bikes. I have only good things to tell about True Precision Hubs. They had a solid performance throughout my entire racing season this year.

Similar Products Used: GT and Haro hubs.
    Eric Emel   Weekend Warrior [Apr 22, 2007]
    Strength:

Engagement is awesome, sealing has coped with alot of mud care of a wet UK winter - no probs.

Nil

I have used F&R hubes (singlespeed rear) for the last 6 months+ and they have been faultless and they have really had a caking this winter. Engagement is so good, these hubs are something special.

Similar Products Used: White Industries, Hope, King & DMR
    Ray   Racer [Oct 30, 2001]
    Strength:

Before riding the Stealth hubs I mainly rode Chris King hubs due to their "instant engagement" and weight. After riding the Stealth rear hub only once, the words "instant engagement" took on a whole new meaning. The Stealth rear hub has a clutch drive system that engages immediately when you start to pedal forward. I would even go as far as saying that it makes the King hub feel slow at engaging. If you think about it, every bit of force that you apply to the pedals when the hub is not fully engaged is power lost, which leads to overall time loss. Also, think about how many times you stop and start pedaling again in a race or on a ride....by riding a Stealth hub you can transfer more of that power into forward movement. The Stealth hubs have made a huge difference in the pedaling efficiency of my downhill bike. Other cool features are: easily converted from quick release, bolt-on, and through axle. The Stealth hubs are the smoothest, quickest engaging, most reliable, and quietest hubset that I have ever ridden.

Rear hub weighs a little more than a King rear hub.

These hubs are prefect for a competitive racer who is looking to get an edge over his/her competitors.