Surly 1x1 Hub

When the bandwagon rolls through your town, be ready with the Surly 1x1™ single-speed hubs. You’ll be confident in your derby abilities rolling on this pair of rugged hubs. The Surly 1x1™ single-speed hubs are forged and CNC-machined from 6061 aluminum and feature 4130 Cro-Moly solid axles, spinning on sealed cartridge bearings. The 135mm-spaced rear hub allows the use of BMX freewheels and as an added bonus, it’s threaded on each side for the convenience of quick gear changes. Front hub spacing is 100mm, and the matched pair is available in black or silver, (32 hole only). Both feature the handsome 1x1™ laser-etched logo.

M.S.R.P. - Front $45, Rear $54

Big Daddio   Racer [Apr 30, 2012]
Strength:

Inexpensive

Needs constant adjustments

I had an older version of the Surly 1x1 hub and it was great. Not real light but dependable and simple. Got the new version and built up a wheel with it and have had nothing but problems. If you adjust the bearings tight enough that they have no play you wear the bearings out in about a week. Replacement bearings aren't too expensive but it's a pain to change them and if you let the bearing go too far they disinegrate and then you have a heck of a time getting them out. Seriously, DON'T BUY THESE HUBS! THEY ARE JUNK!

Similar Products Used: WTB, White Indutries, Paul
noosa2   Weekend Warrior [Jul 03, 2011]
Strength:

The price was right

Way too much time trying to adjust this hub.

Wow - I have been working on my own bikes and friends bikes for more than 30years and this is the first hub that has totally stumped me. They need to be adjusted all the time - I would have to adjust this hub between laps of a BMX track - that's less than 40seconds of ride time. The hub is either too tight or it is too loose - no "just right".

Similar Products Used: King, Hadley, Shimano XT, XTR, Bontrager ...
bwmarshall1   Cross Country Rider [Dec 16, 2010]
Strength:

Hmmm...

Require constant adjustment... which does not help. One or two rides and they are loose and rattle.

Not a fan! These take more adjustment and f****ing around to keep adjusted than necessary. They are too tight and grind, or they are too loose and rattle, there is NO in between with adjustment. As a former bike mechanic and having been a rider for nearly 30 years... these are the worst I have had.

Bleh... buy something else.

Similar Products Used: Nothing that is SS specific...
Jim Beam   Cross Country Rider [Aug 23, 2010]
Strength:

none whatsoever

requires frequent adjustment. Removal of the SS hub freewheel requires superhuman strength. I have this, but it still hurts.

Never again. Surly has a big FAIL on this hub.

Similar Products Used: Hope, Shimano XT
GrampBredo   Cross Country Rider [May 27, 2010]
Strength:

They work, they don't require much maintenance.

None.

I'd buy these again. They're simple, they work, there's nothing to go wrong with them. They roll on sealed cartridge bearings, with adjustable preload nuts on the axle (ala shimano). But, they hardly ever need to be adjusted. In six months of active woods riding, I haven't touched them (other than open them up to see what was inside). The adjusters really just let you keep getting more life out of the bearings. And when the bearings do wear out, they're cheap and easy to replace, without replacing the whole hub. Overall, highly recommended.

Similar Products Used: Entry level shimano hubs, and a DT Swiss 340
Isolation Helmet   Cross Country Rider [May 19, 2010]
Strength:

Inexpensive but strong hubs

In two years of riding (5,000+ miles per year) I have needed to replace the bearings in the rear wheel twice

I like the hubs but if you do not replace the bearings yourself they become very expensive. The replacement bearings are cheap but needing replacement annually is too much for those who do not do their own repair work. I would only recommend these hubs to someone capable of the bearing replacement.

Similar Products Used: Phil Wood
Al   Weekend Warrior [Jun 28, 2003]
Strength:

Sealed cartridge angular contact bearings
Accepts BMX freewheels on both sides
Solid axle
No dish and wide spacing makes for a strong wheel
Flanges are ultra beefy
Looks pimp

Doesn't come in 36h

I have a Surly New Hub. When I ordered mine I thought I was getting a 1x1 but found out the 1x1 was discontinued and replaced by the New Hub. This thing is tha bomb! I weigh 250lbs and I ride angry on urban. My axle is still striaight, bearings are still fresh feeling, even after countless drops to flat on concrete, stair hucks, casing concrete edges on gaps, and enough abuse to snap my last frame. The flanges are so beefy i don't believe they will ever be damaged. The bearings are standard 7901 and are the only part I expect to ever have to replace (bearings die, fact of life).

Buy this thing if you wanna huck off the roof on a hardtail. Buy it if you want a smooth and reliable SS hub.

Also, the axle can be easily replaced with a hollow QR axle, although I don't know why anyone would want to unless you're racing and would need QR for flat changes.

Any number of flaming chilis do not do this piece justice, so I'll just peg both meters.

Peace

Similar Products Used: None, i used to run a Shimano with a pile of spacers and a cog
Nick   [Jan 21, 2002]
Strength:

I've only used the rear hub, so that's the one I'm reviewing.
Light weight- Hub is 260g, and a freewheel weighs about 100g. Cheap, too. Very very strong- I regularly drop 5 feet to level concrete and have never had a single problem. You'll never bend that axle.

The axle is probably beefier than it needs to be- I wish they were available in a standard QR. I hate carrying a 15mm wrench. Not that much of a problem in the grand scheme of things.

If you want a good lightweight SS hub for not very much money at all, here's your hub. Mine has never had any bearing trouble or developed any play despite some serious abuse. I weigh 180# and I break parts quite a bit, but this thing keeps kickin.