Sturmey Archer XRF8 (W) Hub

Sturmey Archer XRF8 (W) Hub

• 8 Speed internal gear hub without brake (freewheel)
  • Patented modular technology
  • Rotary gear selector
  • Quick and easy gear change with low change load

[May 31, 2012]
Ron

Strength:

Shifts nicely and is a good set up for the Terratrike on which it is installed.

I've blown thru two of these hubs. The first after about 50 miles, all on paved bicycle paths. The second one lasted about 500 miles, again on paved bicycle paths. The second one locked up in 3rd gear and then forced me to limp in with 2nd, 5th, 6th, and 8th gears. All others were free wheeling.

Two of thes have failed me in what is less than 1000 miles. I'm in the process of shopping for another brand that is hopefully a lot more sturdy.

OVERALL
[Oct 25, 2011]
jakub.ner

Strength:

- no derailleur for branches and twigs to break
- good gearing range for IGH
- easy to get low low gearing

- not suitable for off-road (trashed after 20km)
- sluggish, especially in real cold weather

Saw various forum questions whether this hub is suitable for off road use: found out that it isn't.

I built this bike up for winter riding and took it around Fanshawe. The cable was adjusted properly throughout the ride: so that wasn't the problem. I lost a couple fears after a couple kilometers: nice grinding noises. Before I came out from the ride I was left with a single gear, everything else was free-spinning.

It's quite possible using at 28/25 combo was way too much torque, but because of the way the planetary gears are setup in this hub, I don't see any other way to get reasonable high gears.