SRAM X9 Rear Hub

X9 Rear

SRAM X.9 Rear Derailleur Long Cage: Redesigned X.O-style links and polished cosmetic finish

John   [Feb 14, 2015]
Strength:

The price the build and the looks

Haven't found any yet

Been using the x9 rear hub for three months now love the clicking it makes while free wheeling been using it with light jumps and cross country/trail rides

glenn   All Mountain Rider [Apr 02, 2013]
Strength:

I Haven't experienced any of the negative aspects of the other reviewers. Been riding this hub for over a year, averaging about 50 mtb miles a week from April to Nov. not including trips to Moab, Fruita, Bend, etc. Laced the hub onto a Blunt Velocity (26") with DTS spokes. I ride a 1x9 drive train so the rear hub encounters a lot of stress. Engagement is quick and reliable, Freewheel continues to glide (overhauled it a few times but that should be done with any hub). Flange diameters allow for same length spoke making the wheel build a little easier. Prior to this hub I destroyed two Mavic hubs and one Shimano in the same amount of time. Was thinking about trying a Hope II but for the dosh I am very happy with the Sram, so much so that I built a front wheel around the same hub.

A bit on the heavy side. But if you are concerned with such things you probably are gonna drop some additional bank and opt for a higher end, lighter hub.

based on my experience, a great hub for the money. easy to install, quick 3 pawl engagement. Not bad looking, black with white logo. who cares? if you are going slow enough so others can see what kind of gear you got...leave the bike on your car.

fisher_rider04   Cross Country Rider [Jan 21, 2013]
Strength:

cartridge bearings
high/low flange
disc brake specific
aluminum hub shell

decals

I bought this hub as an alternative to Shimano XT rear hub which I was running till the cones wore out. I have been using the Sram X-9 hub for 4 months of cross country riding up till now. The cartridge bearings require little maintenance compared to loose ball bearings. I like the high/low flange because it requires shorter spokes on the disc side. The aluminum hub shell is light weight and won't rust. The decals come off but I don''t like decals anyways. I have not had any problems with the freehub even under high load. The hub rolls smooth even after crossing several streams. Compared to Shimano XT rear hub the upgrades are cartridge bearings and low maintenance.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT
KeviChe   [Jun 26, 2012]
Strength:

Builds up with equal length spokes

Freehub body failed on me very quickly

Engagement is too wide, freehub is already trashed and getting worse with less than 10 trail rides on it! I am hoing SRAM warranties the Frehub body. But I was never happy with the engagement points even compared to a regular Shimano

Mario Roman   [Jun 09, 2012]
Strength:

None! I'm a SRAM user since they came up with the first X0 components and this horrible experience with this HUB and SRAM XX are making me re-think about changing back to SHIMANO. And not even the look of the Hub is considered to be a strength.

This hub only has 3 claws, making the engagement really poor . If you move the cassette with your fingers you'll see that the hub has a lot of movement between the claws engagements. My bike has 4 month and about 200 miles almost since new the hub sounds wear.

Please , don't buy this peace of sh**t hub from SRAM. This is a very bad HUB and not even funny . This has broke me 3 chains already. This is not even the cheapest hub from them and if you compare it to a cheap sun ringle or formula hub , you'll see that the X9 is far inferior.

jasopeto   Racer [May 11, 2012]
Strength:

I noticed that the my rear wheel wheel is moving in the frame from side to side. I tried to tighten the lock nuts, but the bearing on the left side is destroyed. That after 2,5k km / 3 months of - I would say - light riding. Hub was used on training wheels, so no racing, riding only XC trails and road. I'm 78 kg, which is not too much I think. On one of my previous bikes I had training wheelset with Shimano LX hubs and they lasted several years.

Another thing which I don't like: the gap when starting pedalling from idle is simply too big.

If you need a durable and reliable hub, I would avoid this product.

Similar Products Used: DT Swiss 240s, many Shimano hubs (XT, LX, ...)
Cainam   Cross Country Rider [Jul 27, 2011]
Strength:

Holds the rim in place with the help of the spokes.

Slow engagement.

Not that impressed with the X9 rear the bike came with. I've only had it for a few days and about 50 (road) miles, but the hub is on the list of things to swap out. I can't comment on the strength, as it has zero abuse at this point, but the engagement is very clunky. I know this isn't a ultra high end hub, but it isn't a low end Shimano 425, either. Not skipping, just has a HUGE wind up before it hits.

If you are looking for a new rear hub, and you don't want to spend C.K. or DT 240 money, I'm sure this would work. It looks strong enough, I suppose, but personally I wouldn't get another one on purpose. . .

Similar Products Used: Shimano (most levels) and a bunch of others.