Shimano XT Hub

Jeff Ashby   [Aug 14, 2014]
Strength:

They didn't cost very much.

The rear hub didn't make it through two rides.

I bought these as a wheel set package and have less than ten miles on them and now my rear hub has tons of play in it.

Mtn Mike 2   [Nov 29, 2013]
Strength:

Cheap, strong, and durable. It is both steel cassette and single speed sprocket friendly, in so far as the latter will not chew up the free-hub splines as is often the case with aluminum versions. The hub is easily serviceable by competent riders who know how to wield a set of cone spanners and understand balancing cup/cone bearings. You can't just tighten up the nuts.........

They can benefit from re-greasing and re-setting even when new, and then require it at regular intervals (depending on conditions). Spare parts are available but not always easy to find. The hub is not suitable for riders with a fit and forget approach.

I've used various cup/cone hub bearings for 40 years, cycle toured on them, stripped and rebuilt them and can honestly say that I have never (yet) been let down by a cup/cone hub whilst touring or riding.

I have seen other riders have problems with all sorts of hubs, including the exotic and expensive sealed bearing variety.

There is (IMO) no fail-safe method that replaces regular and competent servicing of all bearings on a mountain bike.

These Shimano hubs are not, in my opinion, in the same league as the mythical Campagnolo Record hubs of the seventies and eighties but they are still extremely good value and perform well.

I have 3 XT M756 rear hubs on different bikes/wheel-sets and have yet to destroy one, or need to replace bearings and/or cones. All I do is re-grease and reset once a year... thousands of miles in all conditions.

They DO benefit from re-greasing and re-setting when new. I wonder whether Shimano saved labor time here in order to reduce retail price. They definitely deserve to be setup properly given the superior quality of the ball bearings and cup/cone surfaces.

I also have Hope hubs, which I like, but I have had to change bearings on one and put a steel free-hub body on every rear hub..... not cheap, nor are the tools that are required to properly service these kinds of hubs.
Also, in order to achieve the same rigidity and piece of mind I that I get from the steel axle on the Shimano hub (for big drops etc.), I use Saint type rear Hope hubs with a steel through axle. In other words, by the time I've got the Hope up to scratch I could have purchased four or five Shimano hubs.

However, I do prefer Hope's after sales service and spare part availability (even for discontinued models) and this is why I support the company and the extra cost that this incurs.

So if you want to save money on your bike that you can then use in other ways, these Shimano hubs are well worth considering.... but only if you are prepared to put in the maintenance.

Kyle   [Sep 01, 2013]
Strength:

Low cost, common brand (Shimano)

Break easily

I have used two XT rear hubs and both broke within 25 miles. I thought the first one was a fluke, so I just kept my eye on the second one. Sure enough, I go to tune up my drivetrain and my cassette is wobbling.

These hubs are probably great for hybrid bikes or very light riders, but they are by no means clyde-worthy. They serve their purpose...cheap hub that will work fine if you are light or not riding off-road trails. If you are looking for quality or reliability, go DT Swiss, Chris King, Hadley, etc. These XT hubs are junk.

surlylht60   [Oct 28, 2012]
Strength:

Low cost and serviceability

Materials and engineering

I am a 230lb rider on a SurlyLHT. The XT hubs are/were original equipment. The front hub developed a gouge in the cone, replaced the cone and the bearings. The rear hub has failed twice. Original hub suffered flange failure, the replacement has developed a "catch and slip" character to its operation. Plan on a total rebuild for spring 2013, I will not be using shimano hubs!

Henrik B   [May 19, 2012]
Strength:

Cheap and looking good. Running smoth. XT 756

Rear hub can be a b..... You need to service it your self.

Ive been running shimano hubs since 1980. They are simple and easy to maintain. The M756 has been updated to run 10 speed, its called M-756a. The M-756 is old tec. but look at the price tag - does it hurt? These hubs have only one weakness, you have to maintain them every year.

Holmes   Weekend Warrior [Nov 07, 2011]
Strength:

Cheap, bomber

Not the lightest

Have used XT hubs (rim and 6 bolt disc) on several bikes over the years riding in varying conditions. Zero problems. I personally think these are the best value for the money - easy to maintain and solid.

and30ers   Cross Country Rider [Oct 12, 2011]
Strength:

Inexpensive, good quality, serviceability.

None yet.

Just if anyone wondered I put the hubs on the scale before I built a set of new wheels. This is the 2012 Shimano XT HB-M785 and FH-M785 hubs for CenterLock disk, 32-holes, traditional 100/135mm quick-release versions.

Front hub w/o QR at 165g
Rear hub w/o QR at 332g
Front quick release 59g
Rear quick release 66g
Rubber cups covering the center-lock rotor mount, if using hubs for rim-brake wheels coming in at 5g per hub.

Similar Products Used: Shimano LX, DX, XT, XTR
ineffable   Weekend Warrior [Sep 03, 2011]
Strength:

Front hub is a dream--I'd say set and forget, only you never have to set it.

The rear hub is a different story. Every XT rear hub I have had (I've had countless ones over the years) has developed slop. Sometimes this happens after months, sometimes after days on new bikes. The cones get loose, and tightening the nuts only leads to major drag (from overtightening) or play returning. I've tried everything, but it is practically impossible to keep the rear hubs tightened correctly. The slop that develops leads to poor handling and has even destroyed a few wheels. (The wheel shifts during cornering, the derailleur gets caught in the spokes, and derailleur and spokes are both toast.)

Also, replacing the cones when they get worn is impossible, as the nuts no matter what fuse to the axle. The entire hub has to be replaced.

Fine for cross-country, but if you your riding gets you high Gs in many directions, get a different *rear* hub.