Shimano STX-RC Hub

STX-RC

Shimano STX-RC

Pablo Pizarro   Cross Country Rider [Jul 19, 2003]
Strength:

Durable and reliable

weight too much, silver finish.

Good enough; I have been using them for about 4 years yet, and I haven´t change bearings or so. I´m not heavy rider, but I use my bike three ot four times a week.

Similar Products Used: Formula, Shimano alivio
Kevin Patterson   Weekend Warrior [Jan 21, 2006]
Strength:

Smooth and durable

Not much considering the price

This hub was part of an OEM wheelset on a Fisher I bought in 1997. The wheelset is now on it's third frame, and it wasn't until now (2006) that I have had any problems. The rear axel finally broke. I figure 9 years of hard riding on a low-end quality part with zero maintance is pretty good. I can't complain. Too bad some of the expensive high-end crap my friends buy can't last this long.

Similar Products Used: Not many
Olaf   Cross Country Rider [Apr 01, 2007]
Strength:

Reliability: 34,000kms with 0 problems

These hubs carried 141kg (rider, bike, luggage) 4,200km (Stockholm to Athens) and are still perfect after a further 30,000km (thats 310 lb, 2,600 miles and 18,600 miles). Great for trekking.

Joe   [Oct 26, 2001]
Strength:

Lasted a while

lasted two seasons

Should have knocked on wood in previous posting. Front STX-RC hub started growling over last weekend, I found that the bearing race (cone) was ground up pretty bad. Back hub still OK, but I'm replacing both. Considering the amount of riding, neglect of maintenance and price point of the hubs, I figure it's not bad.

Joe   [Sep 10, 2001]
Strength:

Never had a problem

cosmetics, chrome is passe

I have yet to have a problem with this item. I am a heavy rider who does a lot of road riding to get to my trails. I have several thousand miles on my '99 cannondale, these are the original hubs, no problems yet.

Similar Products Used: alivio
Miklos   Weekend Warrior [Jan 07, 2000]
Strength:

Price.

Name on product doesn't do your ego any good.

I put 3400 miles on these hubs without touching them, then freewheel sounded kinda dry so I pulled them apart, regreased 'em, back in use.
PS- I'm 6'2 and 220lbs.
Why spend more just to say you have the in hubs?

Ray   Weekend Warrior [May 31, 2001]
Strength:

Cheap, light, smooth

Not very durable

These hubs are not good. I have ridden on them for a year now. The first 11 months were fairly trouble-free, with only a couple overhauls. However, just last month, I did a couple runs down this steep street, hitting speeds of about 50mph. After the second time, I noticed that the freehub's engagement mechanism is damaged - when I coast, the thing locks up until the tensioner on my rear deraileur reaches max and loosens the freehub again. I had my Alivios for over 4 years with several runs down that steep road with no problems at all. Either I got a lemon, or these hubs stink.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Alivio
Dave   Weekend Warrior [May 29, 2001]
Strength:

Value for money, longevity

Boring silver finish? ;) None really.

Had a rear one built onto an X517 a couple of years ago, did many miles on it in varying conitions. Sold the wheel to my brother when i got a new bike, he's done lots more miles on it, in plenty of mud and sunshine, there have been no problems with the freehub or bearings, both are running perfectly. My brother destroyed his last rear hub, getting through 2 freehub assemblies, and having the bearings knackered by an incompetent bike shop.

It's held up great, and the price was right.

I've just ordered a Deore disc hub, as i need disc compatability on a budget. I hope it holds up as well!

Similar Products Used: Acera-X, Alivio, Specialized Stout, Hope Sport,
Manco Mula   Weekend Warrior [May 27, 2001]
Strength:

Low weight, low prize, great design

This is a great product and I haven't problems with it.
I crashed my bike in a hole, but it's intact and I'm not.
great buy!

HuD   Weekend Warrior [Feb 22, 2001]
Strength:

Great cheap(got them on my bike), reliable.

none, except no XT or XTR sticker. Maybe a bit heavy but I dont care?

These are great. I did some major winter riding in puddles over my frame and the hubs are doing great. I think i might have to take them apart oil them up stick emm back together soon. but these things you just forget about, they are excellent for the money. I would have kepot on using mine but I bought a new wheels set(Rhyno Lite with deore hubs) fgor only 99 CAD that is cheaper then using my hubs and getting some built so I guess tthese are going to be my winter set. IF your short on cash I recommend these

Similar Products Used: I have Deore's havnt had a chance to try them yet.