Shimano Deore XT M756 Disc Hub

Shimano Deore XT M756 Disc Hub

Shimano Deore XT M756 front disc hub uses a double contact seals, and provides a 6-bolt ISO disc mounting surface. Front Hub Spacing: 100 mm Front AxleType: 9x1 Weight: 302 g Hub Drilling: as listed under choose size & color Hub/Brake Compatibility: 6-Bolt Disc

[Jun 16, 2015]
MrGong
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

durable, inexpensive, easy to replace the bearings, easy to maintain, light compared to a few others, probably ideal for those who like quality over trimming weight

seals are a bit weak, a bit heavy compared to some others, probably not ideal for serious racers

For a hubs less than $50, I have zero complaints. I opted for the 36-hole hubs and rims. I didn't do any maintenance for the first 6 years - nuts didn't loosen and always smooth sailing. (This was a major factor for their minor down fall.) After that I rebuilt (stripped, cleaned, greased) them every year and replaced the ball bearings twice. Throughout the last 6 years I have had to tighten the races and lock nuts once a year, which is to be expected. Nothing is maintenance free, especially with the large amount of miles I ride, how hard I ride, and some of the conditions I ride in. Any where from dusty-and-dry to rocky-and-rough to rain-and-muddy.

I am certain there are better hubs and many of them cost more than these. However, for the price these are great! I am buying a new set of the same hubs to re-lace my rims to put on a hard-tail magnesium frame I have in storage. The seals are good, but anything rubber dries out and doesn't seal as expected. This would have been the third time to replaced the bearings but the races now have pits in them and it's not worth it. I know the pitting is from the initial years of neglect. When I first replaced the bearings, I felt the beginnings of that erosion.

These have been great hubs. I know there are many factors, however, when I am overtaking friends despite their new $500-900 wheelsets on the same road on a downhill coaster section, I know part of it is my hubs. On top of all that, the rear freewheel clicking noise is quite minimal compared to many hubs I've heard.

I weigh 155# plus gear. I ride fast. I ride hard. I crash sometimes and sometimes I execute the line flawlessly. I ride better than some people; some people ride better than me. I always push my limits, giving 110%. I enjoy every moment. These hubs have held up and performed well all along the way.

Overall: Affordable. Durable. No regrets.

OVERALL
[Apr 17, 2013]
Lee
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Cheap, large hub flanges, roll smooth for a little while

They use unsealed bearings making them short lived and a pain in the ass to service.

These hubs have lasted for 2 years of abuse. (Cross Country, Dirt Jump, Free ride, and some street) Over all they have been good durable hubs, but for me the hassle of readjusting the bearing preload every time the wheel comes off is not worth it.

OVERALL