Shimano Deore XT FH-M765 Rear Hub

• Cup & Cone bearing
  • Smooth rotation
  • Double contact sealing

machinetwelve   Cross Country Rider [Jun 19, 2012]
Strength:

They haven't exploded yet.

have to tighten them before every ride. I'm not a fan of loose ball bearings.

I've been riding these for about 6 months. After the first 2 months I noticed the hub was loose on the axle so I tightened it. Then I noticed It kept coming loose so I disassembled and rebuilt the hubs. Good for about a week until they started loosening again. Looking into new hubs because I'm so pissed off at these things. I know some people swear by loose ball bearings but I've found that dirt and mud easily gets in there. and they're not the easiest to rebuild. I bought these cheap thinking they couldn't be that bad since they are XT. I was dead wrong.

Similar Products Used: Surly Hubs, Rolf hubs
Metu Vis   Cross Country Rider [Feb 26, 2012]

The drive side torque nut loosens within 40 miles; happen three times within 120 miles. I solved this issue when reassembling the hub, added lock tight to the axle to ensure the torque nut would not loosen.
My recommendation do not by these hubs or any wheel set that has these hubs. At best these hubs are poor quality and not worth the worriment if you are a serious rider.

Daemongrad   Weekend Warrior [Jun 16, 2011]
Strength:

looks nice, rolls super smooth, lightweight.

after rolling super smooth for about 150k the hub either locks up or comes loose inside the freehub mechanism. It has happened 2 times, the first locking up, the second loosening off so I had play in my wheel/cassette. LBS had to order a tool for the inner bits the first time, and is a very quick fix once you get to it.

Came on my Mavic 721's. I like it when it works and don't much like the fact that it has failed twice. Seems a quick fix when you have the proper tool, but costs 15 bucks a week to keep rolling.

Similar Products Used: other rear hubs
mtnbike1   Cross Country Rider [Jul 18, 2010]

broke less than 2 weeks after getting my new Santa Cruz Tall Boy 29er

After climbing a very small hill on my 4th ride on this hub, I heard a loud pop. The rear hub was completely broken and a major hassle to replace. Even if Shimano sends me a new one, it's not worth replacing with a new one and having to be stranded in deep woods again. I'll have to eat the cost and move on but hopefully by reading this review you won't have to same problem. Don't buy this rear hub. I do love all other shimano products I've tried.

Similar Products Used: DT Swiss
2002heckler   Cross Country Rider [May 26, 2009]
Strength:

Price

Rear hub loosens on the drive side, greased poorly.

With less than 100 miles on the rear hub it loosened up on the drive side. I called bike shops and they said the XT is notorious for this. I would buy this hub again. But I would take it apart, grease it, and tighten it down before I used it. The freehub also has some play because the grease dissolved when exposed to water. It's wet here.

killacitythrasher   Weekend Warrior [Oct 22, 2008]
Strength:

decent for a cheap hub, easily changable from qr axel to bolt on axel

bearings and axel keep coming loose every mile or so switched to bolt on axel still come loose but not as severe as with the qr axel, engagment on freewheel slips at random.

for the price not bad would recomend switching the axels around. they have taken lots of abuse as all my parts do and have held up. bearings could be a tad smoother. they do have a taller spoke flange which is good. i would still recomend the ringle's and if u have the extra $$ and skills opt. for the avalible pro kits makes a world of difference in smoothness and engagment.

Similar Products Used: sun ringle, redline, surly 1x1, oynx, atomlab, mid to late 90 xtr and xt, many others
spcarter   Cross Country Rider [Oct 19, 2008]
Strength:

Durable, good engagement

Not sure if this is shimanos fault but the freewheel is starting to go

This hub is a pretty good value and has worked well for me in normal conditions. The only problem I've had is that the bearings went to sh!t after I rode through a monsoon (mud puddles up past the hub, absolutely ridiculous) But after overhauling the bearings they've worked good. The freewheel is now slowly dieing but I'm pretty sure that's from left overs from the storm.

Jovanni   [Jan 14, 2007]
Strength:

lots

Awesome quality/price (just a perfect one).
Smooth rolling, strong and nice looking.