Shimano Deore FH-M535 Hub

• Cup & Cone bearing
  • Smooth rolling
  • 32H/36H

umarth   Weekend Warrior [May 14, 2011]
Strength:

They attach to rims.

Run rough, wear easily, parts are hard to find.

Save money and buy the next step up. Get some XT hubs or something. I took in the wheel because the hub was turning like crap, a month later, the wheel turns like crap. I have had three wheelsets with these hubs and it is the same continued problem.

Similar Products Used: XT/Formula
twoxstreem   Weekend Warrior [May 04, 2011]
Strength:

Inexpensive

poor design, weatherproofing

I replaced the factory specialized hub with the Deore after the factory hub bit it. After 6 months and a few winter rides it started clicking (broken bearing and engagement points) I rode it until complete failure about 3 miles later. I replaced the internals/freewheel and it froze again 1/4 mile into the ride.

This hub is not made for anything more than carriage road rides.

I am replacing with the Deore XT today to get back out but I have a feeling I will be going with chris kane or I9 soon.

Similar Products Used: Specialized hubs
Farmer Ted   Cross Country Rider [Jul 16, 2010]
Strength:

cheap, serviceable

Freehub body, factory grease

These came on my 29er and are probably the low point of the spec on this bike. They're really not that bad of a hub but I had the freehub body blow up on me in the middle of a race and I also noticed that the hub started to sound like a cement mixer after 100 miles.

There's barely any grease in the hub from the factory so an overhaul with some good grease fixed that. A new freehub body was $40 and the new one works but for how long? It doesn't seem that there's an upgraded freehub available for this style of Shimano hub. Once 'rebuilt' with the new freehub and Finish Line grease, the hub spins really smooth and is nice and quiet again. Hopefully it will last a while.

Similar Products Used: you name it!
Jean-Philippe   Cross Country Rider [Jul 20, 2009]
Strength:

Easy to find second hand spare parts, relatively easy to service

Sealing, freehub body

The sealing on the drive side seem to be inefficient. During winter, I need to service it really often to clean the bearings and add new grease.
Recently (after 7 months), my freehub started to make a bad noise and was not freewheeling properly. I had to change it (that was cheap, I found second hand parts).
I don't think it's reliable for intense winter riding (I ride nearly every day) but probably ok in better conditions.

GrampBredo   Weekend Warrior [Jun 21, 2009]
Strength:

Simple, fairly reliable, easily fixable.

Heavy, lousy engagement action, finicky bearings.

Performance wise, this could never even compare to a nicer hub, in exemplar Chris King, Industry 9, DT Swiss. But, for the price it's good. I got mine used, at about 7 years old the freehub died. Replaced that, and it still rolls fairly well. Recommendation: entry level bike or a budget project bike.

Similar Products Used: FH-M475.
Steven Chebba   Cross Country Rider [Apr 03, 2009]
Strength:

Seemingly maintenance-free, long enduring.

for a pro-rider or anyone who is against gravity the obvious issue would be its heavier weight when compared to expensive hubs.

Considering the price, this is a great hub, and if you find axle overhauls not worth the trouble then this is especially something to consider, it can survive quite a while and any problems that arise avoid the overhaul and the hassle just toss it and buy a new one.

Similar Products Used: non-disc LX hubs from the 90's.