Rohloff Speedhub 500-14 CC Hub

Speedhub 500-14 CC

• The SPEEDHUB for frames with Cantilever Brakes.
  • Quick releases allow quick wheel changes even in competition.
  • Retrofitting to a disc brake is simple.
  • Just change the CC Hubcap to a DB Hubcap and adjust cable routing.

• User Reviews (23)

knull9   Racer [Jun 22, 2010]
    Strength:

Total maintenance free apart from oil change and new chainring every 2 years.
    So far never failed despite use in knee deep mud. Shifting is great as well.
    Price is reasonable considering the running cost and durability.

Weight! If Rohloff would make this hub at this quality with 8 gears and half the weight, Shimano/SRAM would have some competition.

I used it on a fully for a year, but I wouldn't recommend that because the hub is too heavy. I did awful things to the hub, such as ride it regularly in deep mud in the winter in Scotland without any problems (during that time I had to replace the chain and crankset bearings 4 times).

Now I have it on a hardtail Mtb. I use it for commuting, training on the road and on easy trails - for this it absolutely fantastic, good shifting and never a problem. I oil the chain if it runs dry and that's it.

I'd buy the mtb-version and use the disc brake adapter - much cleaner than the torque arm.

Similar Products Used: There are none - other gear hubs are not nearly as good.
    scholty   Cross Country Rider [Oct 01, 2008]
    Strength:

Shift on the fly, in a rock garden, last minute before a climb, perfect chain line, perfect shift increments. Looks Bas-ASS! New black-ano w/monkeybone looks a lot more modern than older versions. No maintenance. With modern adapters, any stock singlespeed looks like it's made for the hub.

Gripshift style shifter, weight, noisy in bottom 7, feels light slight drag in bottom 7. RIG with above setup and stock FOX fork weighed in at 29.2 lbs! Recently removed FOX and replaced with rigid fork. Including wheelbuild, hub, monkeybone, Avid rotor, adapter plate, and install for the new version you are probiably looking at $1,600-$1,900 for the upgrade.

I only have about 250 miles on the hub and have noticed some resistance on the lower gears. This thing isn't even supposed to break in for 1500km - -and if it does I'm SOLD. Two words best describe the hub - 1) Simple (from the users point of view) 2) Marvel (how this thing works blows my mind). Also, the back of my bike is HEAVY. Usually, the weight is in the front so log-overs and leaving the ground takes a little getting used to. I'll never sell it but will probably still keep other bikes around for light-weight alternatives. Well worth every penny! If you want something different with no worries, this hub is for you.

Similar Products Used: nothing like it.
    Jerry   Cross Country Rider [Jun 26, 2003]
    Strength:

No shifting or chain worries, good support

Weight (add 1.5# min.), pathetic garden hose clamps for torque, gear ratio for uphill effectively max 20/28 (supposed to get better over time, however max 20/30)

1.) try to figure out if you could get rid of 1.5# befroe you get the hub, so you don´t add too much weight, since
    2.) uphill efficiency in the first 5 gears is BELOW a normal drivetrain and you wind up with something in the range of 20/28- 30max. Once you start carrying 1.5# more on a bike where the weight shifts to the back on a hill that you before climed in a hush, you will notice the difference.
    2a) start weight lifting to compensate for the gear ratio loss.
    3.) Be prepared to forget about shifting - it´s not a problem anymore.
    4.) forget mud, branches, high grass, water related problems, they cease to exist.

BOTTOM LINE: you have to adjust to it like you have to with a nice Harley, but I would do it again.

In a year I will post a follow up, 4 stars so far, since I lost some of the hills

Similar Products Used: none
    Cor Tonkens   Weekend Warrior [Jul 04, 2002]
    Strength:

durability, easy gearchanges

weight and costs

have used the speedhub about 800 km now. have had no problems with the speedhub itself sofar.
    rode it in december last year in the snow with a temperature of about -1 °C. I had no problems anyhow, in contradistinction with some others I passed. After two hours in the snow I could still use the full gear range. Even with the XT rear derailleurs it happend that about half of its range in bad weather conditions couldn't be used anymore after a while.
    The noise the hub makes in 7th gear in the beginning is irritating loud. It starts to fade now, just like mentioned in the user manual.
    Gearchange is simple after getting used to taking the pressure of the chain when operated.
    However one needs to use a chainguide on the front chainring if applied on a full suspension bike, it is a b'ch when te chain drops of in rugged terrain for the umpteeth time.
    It's a no worry solution, little maintenance, just clean the chain (which has a lot longer lifespan) regulary.
    It's an expensive solution which I should have applied earlier.
    It looks odd.
    It's no solution for weight freaks and people who like to do repair and maintenance works.

Similar Products Used: Shimano STX, LX and XT ???
    Peter Berg   Cross Country Rider [Dec 11, 2001]
    Strength:

Durable, Fool proof usage, Ultra low maintenance, No chainsuck ever, One shifter for all gears, can be shifted while not pedaling, can be shifted under load (not 7-8 or 8-7), fast gear changes, makes symmetric sturdy wheel, perfect equal gear spacing

Up to one pound heavier than 27speed, not cheap at first but you save Chains, Chainrings, Sprockets etc. because of minimal wear

Once you get used to it theres NO return!

Similar Products Used: Shimano '88 18speed to '98 XTR, but then: similar? Not even close...
    Richard Daggenhurst   Weekend Warrior [Nov 29, 2001]
    Strength:

great if you want to avoid chain suck and being stuck with a broken derailer far from home

comical power losses in gears 1 through 5 whilst climbing hills, both on and off-road

this hub is great for downhillers and anybody who is worried about chain suck and derailer damage on long rides. However, if there's a lot of climbing involved on that long ride, forget about buying this hub, 'cos the peace of mind that you get from not worrying about chainsuck and broken derailers is NOT worth the power consumed by the hub in gears 1 thru' 5 while climbing. The subjective impression is that the hub is filled with mollasses and objective testing over familiar road and off-road courses shows that times to complete lengthen by between 10 and 12%. Rohloff says that their claims of 95-98% efficiency in all gears (similar, therefore, to a derailer system) are independently proven by a lab in Holland. I would suggest that you ask to review these tests, or better still, see the results of tests done by a lab here in the US, before you make your decision. The bottom line is that a downhiller doesn't need to worry about power losses in gears 1 to 5 while climbing, but a XC rider or expedition tourer needs to give very serious thought as to whether the benefits of no-derailer etc are outweighed by the significant detriment of the hub's power consumption whilst climbing. Lastly, to be fair to Rohloff, their distributor told me that it takes at least 500 to 1000 miles for the hub to reach peak efficiency. Again, you decide whether you want to spend 800 dollars in the hope that in two or three months, the hub will work fine.

Similar Products Used: shimano nexus 7 sp
    Vern (up the Irons!!) Dog   Cross Country Rider [Aug 31, 2002]
    Strength:

bomb proof, sweet fast shifting, no chain suck,slip or derailers to get fouled up,dishless rear wheel, shifting while not pedaling and great customer service

noticeable weight difference (oh well, doesn't bother me), noisy in the lower gears, but gets quieter with time, not that much of an issue though)Price, but think of how many chains, cogs, deraillers you have gone through in the last couple of years..you could buy 2 xtr gruppo's for the same price as the rohloff,buy why? just a guess on the above, but the hub will certainly outlast any derailler technology

I wouldn't even consider going back to some 27 + speed set up, I've raced this bike with the speedhub at mtb races/24 hour events with no worries, well worth the money, and fairly easy to set up and maintain. Lots of people will think your bike is set up as a singlespeed, that is up to you to let them know otherwise!!..yes, I still and will ride my true singlespeed, but this set up is the way to go,Excellent and well made hub and accesories that come with the hub, And, be prepared to talk to others,(answer questions) as I found out at the races/rides this past season, If you decide to get the Speedhub, enjoy the ride, as I sure am...VernDog

Similar Products Used: single speed set up with spot and philwood hubs, but kept tearing apart freewheels, now i just use the rohloff hub for all my xc racing/riding, sometimes get out the singlespeed for funruns
    Michael McCauley   Cross Country Rider [Jan 21, 2002]
    Strength:

Smoothest gearchanges you will every experience. No chain suck. Ask Polaris challenge riders from Sunny Corner about chain suck. No maintenance-none. Once a year oil change if you call that maintenance. No stuffing around with deraileurs that won't quite adjust. straight chain,less wear on everything. Get a ride on one it will change your life..

7-8 and 8-7 gear change. But this complaint is only compared to the other gears in the hub. It is still better than derailuer systems. You just back off the power for 1/10 of a revolution and it is as smooth as silk. Not one complete revolution like a derailuer.

My bike weighs in at 500 grams heavier than the latest model of my bike. I would carry around heavier turds than that!!!
    I weigh in at 117 kilograms or close to 18-19 stone (6' 4")so I'm looking for unbreakable components. This is it!!!

I rode in the 2000 Polaris Challenge at Sunny Corner (some sick dude thought of that name) and it was a Mud bath. I had no gears (I was using a derailuer system back then) chain sucked every four turns of the chain. Eventually the mud got so thick I couldn't turn the wheels.
    I wish I had of had my Rolhoff then.

I am climbing hills now that I found impossible before, I haven't noticed "comical" power losses in low gears, although i have noticed some loss. It doesn't worry me at all. When I'm 30 kms from the nearest phone and it starts raining I'm going to be singing all the way back while I ride my bike, not carrying it becasue the bloody deraileur is gummed up with grud.

I also love changing gears while going uphill or on some single track when you hit a blind corner and your in a gear which is way to high, no problem just grab a hand full of grip shift and turn, presto instant gear change and power out of the corner. When your a large lump like me it helps as I find it hard to grind out of uphill corners in high gears like 60kg pissants.

By the way if you ever get the chance to go to Kassel in Germany where these wonderful units are built, call in and visit Her Rolhoff and friends as they are great people and love showing off their factory. Take a six pack of Pils with you.

I love this thing...

Get one NOW! you will wonder why you didn't sooner!!!!!!!

Picture of My bike in "Photo Gallery if you're interested.
    "Porsche/Rolhoff "S".

Similar Products Used: Sachs 24 speed with twist grip. Shimano 27 speed.
    nothing really compares.
    Dave   Cross Country Rider [Jan 04, 2004]
    Strength:

Simple. Tough. Easy setup. Superfast shifts under any condition. Very low maintenance. Gear range is identical to a 22-44 chainring/12-30 cassette, with uniform jumps.

Heavy. Mild internal friction in most gears. Expensive.

FUN!!!!
    Great in the mud - easy cleanup, unlike derailleurs.
    Every shift is perfect and almost instantaneous - a real plus in technical situations when there is a need to drop a lot of grears fast to ease ahead. This hub can shift from top to bottom or any other way in a fraction of a second, whether coasting or pedalling. Amazing. The weight is only a minor annoyance. The internal resistance is real - reported to be up to about 3% in certain gears. So, I don't race with it, unless it's really muddy and I don't want a big cleanup afterward. I hardly ride my very nice derailleur bike any more - having too much fun with the Rohloff.

Similar Products Used: Sturmey archer 3 speed 30 years ago. There is not comparison!
    Bryan Whitney   Racer [Dec 23, 2000]
    Strength:

quick shifting every time all the time, strong, no derailer to break, no chain slap, LOOKS DOPE!!!!!! shift with out pedaling or when pedaling backwords!!! 14 gears, and on a down hill bike, Its amazing!!!!! no cogs to mess up. very low maintenence!!! fill with/or replace oil once a year, And ride.

WEIGHT!!!! bike went from 42lbs to 46lbs!!! cant poewer shift between gears 8 and 9 due to safety thing that keeps the hub from sliping back into 1st. but other then that, go through a teathing period of like 2 weeks,and lock every thing down and it works great. LOOKS tripy (price of $950) ouch!!! took monts to get here from Germany.

I belive that these are the next step for bikes. Maybe not on x-country because of weight. On downhill bikes, its the way to go. I can claimb hills, and I have 14 gears insted of 9!! and you have no idea what thats like!!! They look really good, I have a black one with a hayes disc on it. Rohloff makes the hubs to take any brake. make sure you have a good mecanic that knows what hes doing, If he fucts it up it wont work right and you have just thrown around a grand in the trash. parts are avlible around, need to be orderd most of the time but that doesnt matter because you will never break any thing, If you have it set up right by a good wrench. I seriously think that this thing is the best thing scince sliced bread!!! Iv taken it off, not down, 17 stairs!! worked perfectly after, how about a 20 foot drop? no prob. its worth the cash, I bought one and every one on the team wants one! I can roast them bercause I can shift in corners and climb hills with no problom!! BUY ONE NOW

Similar Products Used: NOTHING Its the only way to go!!!!