Ringlé Hubs Hub

Ringle Superduperbubba Hubs

[Mar 24, 2011]
Daveoc

Strength:

The hub came as standard with the bike which i bought in January after 3 months the pawls on the free hub went without warning leaving me to walk the rest of a great days ride. Returned to the cyclesuperstore who then they couldn't get spares for it and had to replace it with am equivalent shimano hub total wheel rebuild. Surprised cube went for such poor quality parts would not recommend

[Dec 03, 2008]
kayakjamie

Strength:

Don't know

This came on an Ellsworth tandem. The first time on the bike, we went 100 yds up a hill and the pawls broke. I replaced the pawls. The third time I took out the bike, the pawl race stripped from the hub. Twice now I have had to climb out of a valley because the hub broke. Ringle have sent me a replacement Jumping Flea. Based on the other reviews, I don't know whether to sell it while it works or run the risk getting caught out in the woods again.

As long as you don't climb hills with a small granny, you are probably OK to use this hub.

XTR, XT hubs on my Blur. LX rear hub on my Cannondale MT800 tandem. They have all taken a thrashing and never broken.

[Apr 05, 2004]
Terry

Strength:

None, compared to other rear hubs.

The rear hub design is a TOTAL failure!!

I have replaced the engagement pawls twice on this hub since I purchased it a little over a year and a half ago. Today, while I'm riding the rear hub once again cuts loose and won't engage, although I can hear the pawls purring while freewheeling the 3 miles back to my car. When I get home, I disconnect the cassette body and find that the ring gear that the pawls ride in and engage with, has broken free from the hub shell and is just spinning inside. I bought this wheelset (ABBAH hubs with singletrack rims) because they seemed stout and were 1/4 the cost of my King / Mavic wheelset on my hardtail. Well, I guess you still get what you pay for!! I am hoping I can still contact Sun Ringle and get some kind of satisfaction. With all the hubs I've tried, I have one piece of advice. If you want rugged, and inexpensive, buy Shimano XT's, if you want the best, buy Chris King. Stay the hell away from Ringle!!!

Shimano XT, Chris King ISO

[Aug 23, 2006]
Mike Cooper
Downhiller

Strength:

They look nice, and the clickity-click of the rear hublets hikers know you're coming!

Just like it seems 75% of the people on MTBR.com said, the pawls broke after about a year or so of intermediate level riding. Bearings wear out fast too. At an MSRP of $250+ for the rear hub alone, there is no excuse for this.

I've been having problems with this hub, so I googled for some info and it took me here. Now, I find out that people have been having the same problems with these rear hubs for almost 10 years?!?!? And, I have to laugh at the folks telling us that we don't know how to maintain our bikes? I've been riding for over 15 years now (even worked in a bike shop through high school) and NEVER had to do anything worth mentioning to keep a SEALED BEARING hub rolling..........you shouldn't have to, and anyone who says differently is either buying into what the tech support at Sun tells them or justifying their purchase of this overpriced mechanical nightmare. Then again, maybe they work for Sun and are trying to balance out what would otherwise be nothing but poor reviews.

Hey Sun-Ringle' how long does it take to reinvent the wheel here? Redesign your hub, come out with a new one, or at the very least, take this awful thing off the market. Come to think of it, the rims aren't as good as Mavic either.

Shimano, Formula, Syncros hubs? Back in the day, I might have even had some Suntour hubs, but I don't remember since NONE of them ever caused me a bit of grief.

[Dec 28, 2001]
J Bell

Strength:

looks good

Weak pawls, poorly designed spring mount. Bearings froze after 3 months.

What I don't understand is why there are any good reviews at all. My Craftsman ratchet would make a better free hub. Ringle, you should be ashamed. Recall them, they are defective.

lx, xt, hugi 240

[Dec 14, 2003]
Mike Robson

Strength:

Poor seals and sloppy tolerances.

These are the worst hubs I have ever owned. I have never even had to think about hubs until I purchased these. I had to purchase new wheels when I went to disk brakes and thought I would build a custom wheelset that would last forever. The rear hub wouldn't even accept a cassette. The area where you mount the cassette was not the proper size. I had to swap the rear hub for a Chris King before I could even ride it. It's been 3 months and now the front hub is howling. I'm not afraid to do my own maintenance but none of my other hubs have ever required a full rebuild.

Hugi, Shimano XTR, and Chris King.

[Jan 24, 2004]
Zach

Strength:

Front hub is awesome and the rear hub was great until.....

About a week ago my rear hub failed on my favorite trail. Had a 3 mile walk back and when I tried to get warranty on it the guy was a pain in the ass to get a hold of. It took six phone calls and when I finally got a hold of him, he didn't want to do warranty work on the hub for me. I finally had to take it into a shop where it is still sitting right now.

Front hub and the rims where great at half off from Supergo. But the rear hub was a pain and although worked perfectly until after a year; I'm still not sure if it's worth it. Personally I would try Shimano's new Saint rear hub, it's cheaper and at least shimano makes reliable parts.

mavic

[Jun 18, 2006]
Scott Simpson

Strength:

Durable, spin great, rear hub has a loud crisp sound everyone comments on.

red color

Not a problem from a set of hubs that have been passed down from three different owners, outlasted a set of sun O degree rims. Now laced to Mavic D521 cuz I am now a burly rider. If you find a deal on these, you can't go wrong.

Shimano XT

[Feb 05, 2004]
Willy

Strength:

the front hub. solid construction, very little maintenance required. smooth like buddah! (in my best NJ accent)

the rear hub quit after one season. didn't attempt warranty service because id rather just have something else in the rear. why walk out of the woods twice?

Front hub is indestructible. granted im a light rider, but i put 3 solid XC race seasons on it and it still runs like new. don't waste your $$$ on the rear, it crapped out long ago. im rating this product based only on the front hub.

bullseye, xt, lx, nukeproof

[Mar 15, 2001]
Brendan

Strength:

Look great. Front Hub

Rear hub is no good. I have sent it back 3 times.

I have had the front hub for 6 years now and it is still as good as new. The thing is unreal. On the other hand the rear hub is no good. I have sent it back 3 times because of 3 different problems. Ringle is real good. 2 of the 3 times I got a new hub but it was still no good. I'll see how long the new one lasts I bet about one year at best.
I give the Front a 5 and the rear a 1.

XT, AC, LX.