Real Hubs Hub

Kurt   Cross Country Rider [Oct 01, 2002]
Strength:

I bought a disc wheelset with these hubs and Mavic wheels for $158 .

Cartridge bearings in the front are a little weak .

Replace the bearings with Phil Wood spec'ed bearings . The stock bearings lasted a year up front . As for the rear hub don't sand the sleeve till it works . It may work but it won't be right . Take it to a machinist and have them cut it square on a lathe . The machinist can mike it all up and get it right . Keep the ratchet full of grease and it will stay quiet . Once the freeplay is right and the bearings are replaced with Phil wood bearings the hubs should last a long time . 4 chillies for value , 3 chillies due to the quality control problems tht make taking them to a machinist sometimes nessassary.

derby   Cross Country Rider [Sep 19, 2002]
Strength:

Looks, quick engagement

stock rear hub freebody slop (fix described below)

Unless you are mechanically minded, better not buy these rear hubs. Cambria gave me no warning about the defect (probably the sales guy didn't know, and I knew I was taking a risk but remember hearing good things in past years about the Real hubs). Otherwise they ride very well with quick engagement and are easy to work on.

I too bought some close out Real hubs from Cambira (under $100 for front and rear) and just started riding on them. And noticed after this post's heads up about the rear hub that my cassette freebody was a bit loose (I was wondering why my rear shifting was sketchy the last ride).

Well the problem is there is an axle sleeve that isolates the freebody that is shimmed on both ends by a Teflon washers. Either one of the washers is too thin by 1 mm or the axle sleeve is too long by that 1mm amount. The best fix would be to file or grind the axle sleeve length down 1mm (which I may do later if my cob fix doesn't last).

I cobbed a fix by cutting out a shim spacer out of an aluminum soda can the same diameter as the inner Teflon shim, and stacking my shim with the stock Teflon shim. This tightened up the freewheel side to side play and it still turns rather freely. But my shim may wear out, so I plan to check it after a few rides.

Also be sure the freewheel bearings are seated (the inner bearing was floating loose in mine). I tapped it carefully with a punch bar into place flush to the inside plane surface of the freewheel assembly.

- ray

Similar Products Used: White Industry hubs
Heatstroke   Cross Country Rider [Sep 14, 2001]
Strength:

Light, cheap, ratchet ingages quickly .
Front has been perfect.
Rear has only had minor problem with a torn rubber seal .

need to carefully assemble to remover the play on the freehub.

Like the reviewer below I had similar probs with the freehub slack after dissassembly. I suspected the same problem - the steel sleeve was too long and was just about to get out the sandpaper. However I carefully examined the steel sleeve which goes around the spindle and I noticed that the ends were slightly different. One end is machined flat while the edge of the other end is slightly concave/bevelled. If you install the concave end in first , there is negligible slack as the sleeve sits in slightly further.

The manual or / web site should say something bout this.

Gary Lunsford   Racer [Sep 24, 2001]
Strength:

This is a follow-up review thanks to the help of reviewer Tom Vial. I believe his fix was the answer I couldnt find. Thanks Tom!! I think I can get my use out of them now!!

Front hub has none that I can find. I still think the freehub is suseptible to mud contamination too easily.

This is a follow-up review to one I wrote earlier. I want to thank Tom for Emailing me with his ideas for repairing the free play in the rear hub. I measure the amount of play in my hub and then machined the steel sleeve down by that exact amount in a lathe. It now has .09mm of free play. PERFECT!!!! I still think people should be mindful of the fact that items such as seals, sleeves, freehub bodies are no longer available before buying. with that in mind and to be fair I am giving a higher rating than before to offset my previous rating. If you are having freehub float problems, Tom's idea is the ticket!!

Similar Products Used: see review below
Mike DaPimp   Downhiller [Apr 14, 2003]
Strength:

not a f'ing thing

freehub body has more play than duece bigelow, causing many a ghost shifts leading to more than enough bailouts trying to torque out of turns.

i know, i know, my fault for trying originally trying to run this cheap rear hub on my bucket. at least i didn't get taken for the retail price on this thing. freehub had play straight out of the box, but thought i could fix it. first i installed an extra spacer that i fabricated. initally worked fine, then the internal gearing on the inside of the hub just stripped out like plastic, locking up the freehub and pulling the chain around ripping off the rear derailleur and taking out it's share of spokes with it(try to figure out how to fix that) less than a month old!!!! stay away from this product. moral of this story - YOU GET EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR. so fork over a few more bucks for a real (not - real designs) hub.

Similar Products Used: a steaming pile of dog poo. (actually the dog poo is much more reliable) to classify other products as similar would be such an unfair put down for them.
Kory   [Oct 15, 2001]

This is a follow up to my post earlier. I too developed slop in my rear hub. I pulled them apart, put them back together, etc, and nothing worked. I ended up buying a new hub and then taking this one to the Cambria Bike Store in Redondo. The mechanic said that one of the nylon washers was missing from inside. He added one in there, tightened it up and now I'm going to rebuild it and try it on my wife's bike. We'll see. I am not too pleased with it at the moment, but am glad it seems to be fixed. I sure was bummed when I discovered the play in it. I think there's a reason Real went under...

David   Cross Country Rider [Sep 22, 2000]
Strength:

They got Santa Cruz to spec em

Very poor resistance to dirt, Loud free wheel even after rebuild. Strange sounds. 1/8 inch free play of the cassette body. When contacted Real sent instructions on how to break down and clean the hub and said that they basically cant be rinsed off unless you are willing to break them down. So I went without cleaning external dirt for 6 more months when 2 spokes broke. When fixing that problem found the lateral freeplay in the cassette and that I could barely turn the axles with my fingers. Santa Cruz says no refunds

Never buy these

Similar Products Used: Hadley Disc front and rear hubs experienced the exact same treatment not a single problem. And Quiet! Cant tell when you stop pedaling from the sound.
Christophe   Cross Country Rider [May 28, 2001]
Strength:

Light, high quality bearings, nice and LOUD when new, very little friction, smooth spinning, fairly cheap for a high quality hub

If put together incorrectly, (which is easy because it is possible to put spacers in the wrong place) the hub will be too tight and will 'eat' the spacers. Free hub body sometimes loosens and has 1mm of play even when tight.

An excellent hub as long as you are carefull when taking it apart. I think I lost a spacer and that is why I am having problems with the loose free hub body. It probably has 3500 miles on it and is showing very little signs of wear; there is still no play in the cartridge bearings.

Not the best rear hub but for the price, weight, and durability, I give it 4 flamin chilis

Similar Products Used: 97 XT rear hub
Curtis   Weekend Warrior [Apr 25, 2001]
Strength:

Simple and light

Out of production - see Jan '01 review.

Since my review of Jan '01, I was contacted by Jeff of Q. Roo, who went to the effort to send me brand-new parts. I replaced the 130 mm axle with the 135, and re-dished the wheel. The hub rebuild was very easy. It was assembled a little "dry" at the factory. This could explain some of the "seal drag" mentioned in other reviews. Thanks also to MTBR reader Doug, who offered me an axle of his own. The hub is light, works well, and lets you know it's there with the freewheel buzz. Fellow MTBR's helped me out and saved my wheel. What better karma than that? 5 chilis for everyone.