Phil Wood FSC Rear Cassette Hub

FSC Rear Cassette

Phil Wood FSC Rear Cassette

linguinee   [Sep 17, 2014]
Strength:

Durability,simplicity of design, ease of service, stainless steel construction.

Weight, cost.

Absolutely bulletproof. My Phil, bought in 2003, was originally a road hub on which I rode a couple (multi-thousand km) tours. It was then respaced to 135 mm and laced to various mtb rims where it underwent daily 50KM commutes and, currrently, serves on an old steel hardtail and suffers all the abuse I can dish out.

Every a year or so I swap out the bearings (bought on ebay in mutliple sets) where required, lube the pawls, and forget about it. It really is that simple.

Yes, the hub is heavy and expensive but durability has both a cost and a price. The PW hub has been laced to several rims and I expect it’ll see several more before it gives up the ghost—if it ever does.

dupontrider   Downhiller [Nov 08, 2009]
Strength:

Easy to disassemble, pretty, lifetime warranty (thank god)

will predictably wear out around 2000-3000 miles (even more frequent periods experienced by me)

I ride three times a week throughout the year. I do this almost without exception. If there is a variance, it is an additional ride during the week. I estimate I ride about 2000 single track trail miles per year. For almost all of these rides, my riding partner is there too.

Each of our bikes is almost identical. (It really helps repairs, maintenance and stocking our spare parts.)

Our Turner RFXs are now three years old 9-2009 and they have been meticulously maintained but ridden pretty hard. They go through a drive trains (chain rings, cassette and chain) around the 500 mile mark. All other components have lasted quite well.

The original rear wheels on both bikes quit eventually and I picked the Phil Wood FSC 32 hole disk compatible hub. I bought mine on November 2007. Within SIX MONTHS in May of 2008, my hub locked up. The pawls were damaged and the ratchet in the hub body was destroyed. It went back (AFTER I HAD TO TEAR MY WHEEL APART) and was dutifully replaced or repaired by Phil Wood and returned. I then had to REBUILD my wheel. In October 2008, the same thing happened. Now, November 2009, it has happened a THIRD time. That means the hub sustained fatal breakdown at 6 months, 12 months and 24 months intervals. I will acknowledge that Phil Wood has honored the warranty but it's a real pain to dismantle a wheel and ship it and be without it for 2-3 weeks. They also offered to tear the wheel down and rebuild it the second time!

I mentioned the person I ride with... His original hub lasted a few months longer but eventually he bought the same model Phil Wood hub I did. A few days ago, his hub experienced the same issue and I loaned him my spare rear wheel for our ride last Saturday. This, coincidentally, was the very ride my hub locked up for the third time.

So you have two guys with properly maintained bikes, an entire SPARE WHEEL at their disposal running Phil Wood hubs on both bikes... You'd think these two riders would never have a hub problem that would take them out of service, right? That's what I thought too. But we're now down one wheel and have TWO Phil Wood hubs going back for repair at the same time!

At least they have the warranty and the honor it. But I seriously question whether I should run "disposable" hubs instead of trying to find a good one. I could have bought FOUR disposable hubs (hell, 4 disposable rear wheels!) for what I paid for my hub. I guess if I keep it 4 years, the "investment" will begin to pay off...

Sad thing is, the OEM hub that came with BOTH bikes outlasted the Phil Wood hubs on BOTH bikes.

Similar Products Used: Have not owned similar products. Am still looking for a good rear hub for 9 speed disk use
David   Cross Country Rider [Dec 05, 2008]
Strength:

Strong, reliable, never let you down

I've run the Phil Wood hubs on my tandem for close to 8 years.
20,000+ miles of just about daily off road riding, distance touring and utilitarian cycling.
Laced to 36 hole Mavic Ceramic D-521 these wheels have taken a real pounding more so than ever could be experienced on a single bike by a solo rider.

They have run flawlessly, smoothly and with simple (two allen wrenches) maintenance will last a life time.

Write them up in your will of the kids will be fighting over them.

Similar Products Used: Chris King, Hadley, old Shimano XT and POS Nuke Proof
Nick   Weekend Warrior [Feb 08, 2003]
Strength:

Strength, smoothness and lets not forget the looks and reliability

NADA

Awesome Hub, been using it for my UNO for nearly four years, no drama at all. Few weeks ago I noticed that the thrads on the inside where you bolt it onto the drop outs were worn, so I sent it back to PW to be fixed and service. Turnaround time was less than two weeks, and the guys at PW (Brent) were brilliant. Responded quickly via e-mail, did the work, polished it up so it looks like new... great stuff... Thanks PW.. the best SS hub...

Similar Products Used: Chrs King, XTR, DT
Brian   Cross Country Rider [Dec 13, 2006]
Strength:

American made highest quality and exclusitivity!

None.

Easily and by far the best hubs for bicycles, period. They roll waaaaaay better than Chris Kings and look just as good. No drag on the bearings like CK's and not as loud on the freehub! Never a problem and are way simpler to work on than CK's, if they ever need it. The Phil Wood grease is excellent also. The rear freehub, although has needed no work, is the EASIEST to disassemble out of any hub in the world! Just two 5mm wrenches and 30 seconds...no special tools like CK's... No better out there!

Similar Products Used: Shimano, Chris King, etc...
Filo Beto   Weekend Warrior [Jun 22, 2006]
Strength:

Roll forever...very smooth. Bullet-proof. These things really don't need much maintenance, and when they do it's very straightforward...no special tools, and no manual needed. Look great. Made in America.

I have found no weaknesses that I was not aware of before I bought. No, they are not the lightest hubs on the planet, but there's a heavy price to pay for light weight...usually that price is durability.

This is a follow up review to the one I posted last year. I've now been riding these hubs for about a year and a half and have experienced zero problems. I can't believe these hubs are so uncommon! I serviced the rear hub myself once just to do it...didn't sound like it needed it. Turned out it didn't. It was very easy to service and I only needed an allen wrench. Anyway...without belaboring the issue too much, I have only good things to say about Phil hubs. They are pricey I suppose, but worth it in the end. I actually decided to try wheel building when I bought these. I printed out instructions from the awesome Mr. Sheldon Brown and went to work (I knew how to true wheels already.) They built up strong and true. Due to my novice ability I did tighten the spokes to the point of rounding a couple of the brass nipples(!) but it didn't phase the Phil hubs. I haven't needed to touch a spoke wrench at all...no break-in tightening, no re-truing at all. And I ride fairly difficult terrain (Mr. Toads in Tahoe, the Braille Trail, Saw Pit, Dead Campers, Magic Carpet, Rockville...etc.) These hubs allow a super stiff build that will last and last.

Similar Products Used: Old bmx phils, suntour, shimano...lots of shimano, campagnolo, paul,
Crazy Bit#$   Weekend Warrior [Apr 02, 2001]
Strength:

-Phil stands behind his product!!I'd like to see more of this at Shimano(although I haven't had any problems with their hubs yet)
-FRICKIN' BEAUTIFUL!!
-Great,constistent engagement
-Rolls real smooth
-Lasts a REAL LOOOOONG TIME

-Pricey($130 for a hub..ouch)

I actually own the Phil Wood single-speed rear hub.This thing is awesome.I have thrashed on this hub pretty much all winter and it's still goin' strong.I know a friend who still uses 10-YEAR-OLD Phils on his touring bike.

Yep,they may not be as light as Kings,but they will last you a DAMN long time(they better for the cost--it costs almost 220 clams for the complete hubset,that's a lot for frickin' hubs).So far I'm impressed.

Similar Products Used: Shimano LX,XT,Specialized Stout
TT   Racer [Mar 21, 2001]
Strength:

Optimal flange placement. Durable, high quality cartridge bearings. No tools required to disassemble. TOP NOTCH support, no questions asked.

I use this for a racing tandem and a high end ultra distance racing bike. The tandem hub obviously gets alot of stress and in 5,000 miles the only wear I see is some scoring on the cassette body...not a real problem. Keeping a good barrier of phil grease in the hub shell is key to preventing intrusion of crude.

On the racing bike, I am testing an aluminum rear axel which brings the weight down to a competitive range with other hubs in this caliber (Chris King, Hope etc). Servicing the pawls takes less time than it does to remove the cassette.

Phil puts a really nice finish on the hubs and the look is so damn nice it should be in MOMA. But forget it! The hubs are made to be ridden hard. Do it.

Zip. Nada. None. Since I mentioned the cassette scoring, than I gotta ask if Phil could up the hardness of the metal here. Only the harshest riders will actually see nary a scratch here...but still, if you want a perfect product than you need good honest reviews, right?

If I had one wish, it would be for Phil to add a wiper seal to the outter most section of the hub to prevent water intrusion. This is not a criticism, infact the mod. would cost them a bundle in tooling alone, however it will make the lube last even longer during my worst nightmare races.

Shimano AND Campy have failed to optimize flange placement for 9 spd. systems. High Octane riders need stiff wheels that are reliable for at least one season of abuse. Phils are one of the few who do a superior job in this regard.

The hub shell and flanges are over engineered to the point where a failure is almost unheard of. Can say that about Campy can you?

The bearings, pawls and other bits are easily replaced, maintained and inspected. That sure is a nice thing when you are out on the road or in the shop.

Phil's support makes me come back...for BB's, Hubs, lube etc. They are fast, technical and surly. All good things for my book! YOU try to get that outta Shumano or Campy hahahahahah Rots o ruk.