Paul Components W.O.R.D. Hub Hub

Paul Components W.O.R.D. Hub Hub

WORD - Wacky One-Speed Rear Device

The WORD is a bullet proof piece of bicycle hardware, and will take you to places, both physically and psychologically, you never dreamed of.

[Jun 18, 2003]
Matthew Berg

This is a follow up to my eariler review. I stripped the axle out, but lucky me you can get longer bolts and tap further into the hub. The treads are metric...beware. The bearings are easy to replace, I have replaced the drive side twice in three years.

Two years ago a Rep from Paul emailed me...Sorry for calling you guys Nazis...I was misinformed there are assorted favors of this hub.

[Sep 25, 2001]
Ken Baker

Strength:

Excellent craftsmenship, solid bearings, haven't even needed to adjust the cones. Disc brake option.
Made in Nor-Cal.

Sometimes I wish the hub flage was higher. Con Wrench/Bottle opener was not included with the hub...

PAUL's W.O.R.D hub is the bomb. Mr. Price has been involved and help evolve the SS market greatly. Not only his SS hubs but his drop outs, brakes, frames, and racks all kick ass. I could not be more pleased with my WORD hub. The only thing that could make this hub any cooler would be if it were a cassette.

Phil SS hub (so heavy)

[Mar 05, 2000]
shiggy

Strength:

simple, easy to work on, cartridge bearing

brass axle end washers, aluminum axle used with axle fixing bolts

I have cracked 2 sets of the brass washers in the past year and now I have had the axle threads strip out. Soft metal alloys do not make sense on a hub that needs to tightened as much SS hubs need to be tightened to prevent slipping. A nutted or bolted steel axle makes more sense than alloy bolted axle. I may replace it with a Surley at half the price.

[Mar 01, 2000]
Matthew Berg

Strength:

1. No dish=strong rear wheel
2. Smooth
3. light
4. Boom proof axil

-One color, black you would think the guys a Paul were Nazis like Henry Ford.
-Yeah try to find a 19 or 20 mm cone wrench to work on it and you will be a god.
-brass washers yield(bend permenantly)easily, but they will not rust.

-Needs better seals on drive side.

Get a 1x1 or spot, they will both be lower than the price range of this puppy..with the same performance. For what it is, it works, but others work just as well for laess bones.

Now get on a single speed and spin...fool..i'm out...

XT hub with spacers

[Oct 25, 1999]
flying pig
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Simple, not too expensive

Bronze washers are too soft

The bronze washers that hold the hub to the dropouts are too soft. They deform over
time, especially if you make the bolts tight. Also have a Phil hub where this is not a
problem. The Phil costs a little more, but is more durable.

Phil Wood single speed rear hub

[Sep 26, 1999]
eric
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

very smooth
hassle free

are there supposed to be any?

very nice, smooth, sturdy, bombproof hub. carries my 200+ pound body down very bumpy and rocky trails without any problems. this hub is the WORD!

suntour XC hubs that lasted 15 years

[Sep 09, 2002]
derek

Strength:

Light, dishless.

Bearings locked up after 3 months.

Very light and good overall concept. After 3 months I noticed the rear wheel wasn't spinning to well. Took the hub apart and the axle was just spinning inside 2 frozen bearings. Also, when removing the end nut big shards of aluminum came out. Overall I'm not impressed with the machining of the piece. I replaced the bearings a pair from Phil Wood and I haven't had any problems.

If I bought another set I would definitely buy Phil Wood for durability and quality (although sacrificing some weight).

LX hubs spaced out for SS.

[Nov 30, 2002]
suLLy

Strength:

Smooth roller, bolt on, looks good, fully serviceble.

None evident to me.

Great hub for the money. Great craftsmanship. It is easy to service the entire hub, it uses standard bearings and their replacement is simple. Even replacing the axle was a breeze. Replacement parts are available at www.paulcomp.com along w/ excellent customer service and support.

None.

[Dec 16, 2002]
eelpie

Strength:

Light, nice-looking, builds up a great wheel, smooth, hex head bolts, angled flanges, made in the U.S.

None so far.

A great hub (though I've only used it a short time). Nice and light, relatively inexpensive, pretty stout for its weight, smooth. Some say the brass washers are a weakness, but they work great for me without tugs; this may change if the washers become deformed, but I like the design so far.

Surly NEW hubs (great hubs for the $, but a bit heavy).

[May 13, 2002]
Tony

Strength:

Light,simple,strong.Easy to obtain parts.

Don't over torque threads in an aluminum axle.

Paul hubs work good,look good,light, easy to service. can order parts easily from Paul in Chico, Ca. The original K.I.S.S.

Shimano