Nuke Proof superfly Hub

superfly

nuke proof superfly

Jeremy   Cross Country Rider [Oct 23, 2005]
Strength:

Great looks, Light, Durable

Non to speak of

The users comlaining about bearings and freehubs need to realize that those parts are not made by Nuke Proof. The Freehub is off the shelf Shimano XT and it will fail, they always do. The bearings are off the shelf as well, same ones used in most cartidge bearing hubs.
So lets review the parts that Nuke Proof actually makes, the hub shell. This is very nicely made. The flanges are smooth and have not tarnished in the 6 years I have owned them. I did have one fail very shortly after I purchased them and the warranty claim was settled ASAP with no further problems to report. I also like the color choices for the center section. Too bad they are out of production.

If you can find a set go for it. Just rember if a bearing or a freehub fail its not the hub.

Similar Products Used: Shimano, Formula, Suzue
Trail Boy   Cross Country Rider [Sep 04, 2001]
Strength:

Light

Freehub goes bad. Makes popping noise. Cannot get through to Nuke Proof.

I had these hubs on for about three months and the rear hub began "popping" under heavy acceleration. About six months later the freehub went bad and it to be replaced. I then got a new frame and was putting the wheel on when I noticed that the spokes were not tensioned properly. I had them tensioned and put the wheel back on. The adjustment moved the hub to the proper position. Since then I cannot get the hub to remain "tight". It just stays loose. My mechanic has put spacers into the hub, to no avail. I weight 160lbs and ride hard about 10 times a month with an occasional race. Hardly anything to bang up the hub. I have attempted to call Nuke Proof but cannot get through. These hubs are mated to 14/15 g spokes with Mavic 517's. A nice set up. Too bad it is idle. No problems with the front hub, but who cares when the other half is broken? I cannot complain about the price paid. I hate to say it, even if I get a full replacement I would not encourage anyone to buy these.

Similar Products Used: White Industries, Lx.
David Monticelli   Cross Country Rider [Oct 18, 2001]
Strength:

Light weight.

Rear hub is worthless

This is a follow up from my earlier post.

I had the hub rebuilt again by my mechanic. He did what he could. However, the hub remains very tight. So tight in fact that when I push the bike the pedals move with the hub. Also, it has been popping again. I have called and emailed Nuke Proof numerous times - all to no avail. My mechanic has done the same - to no avial. Stay away from the rear hub. The front hub has been fine. I got a good price on them so I cannot complain but so much.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT, Other Nuke Proof (also a disaster)
Big Al   Weekend Warrior [May 01, 2001]
Strength:

light, and they look nice too

weak

I used this product for about a year on my present bike, and my old specialize stumpjumer. After a couple months the rear hub sounded like it was going to blow up. Everytime i pedaled i feared it would break the sproket. I am about a 150 lbs, so it can't be blamed on that. To be honest no hub should fall apart within a years use. I replaced them with the HOPE bulb hub. These are great. There are a lot of good hubs out there, even from nuke proof, but this is not one of those. Look at SHIMANO, CHRIS KING, and, HOPE. These are companies with products you can trust

Similar Products Used: Shimano LX/XT/XTR
hope bulb
Rusty   Cross Country Rider [Apr 22, 2001]
Strength:

This hub is bomb proof. I have used these from their introduction and still dont have a problem. Had an issue on the second set a week after purchase. Nuke replaced brgs and brg cups in a few days and NO problems to date!! All I had to do was call customer service and "NO PROBLEM SIR" we will send the parts you need today. I dont think it gets any better than this!!

They dont cost a bucket of buks to buy, everybody should be on them

Bottom line if you can find a set of these hubs on sale JUMP on them they will not let you down!!

Similar Products Used: Shimano CRAP I have never had a good set of their hubs.
James   Cross Country Rider [Apr 01, 2001]
Strength:

Light
Easy build
Spins Smooth
Anodized Colors
Custom Drillings

Have not encountered any.

These were easy to build, have worked nicely. Held up to my 200+ lbs without complaint or flex. I got a deal on 'em so the price was great too! I'm considering another set in the near future for the project bike.

Similar Products Used: Nuke Proof Bombshells
Shimano XT
Machine Tech
Sachs Quartz
Lower level Shimano units
Brendan   Cross Country Rider [Aug 23, 2000]
Strength:

Very light, super strong, beter than any shimano hub, esp xtr. Very economical, and best buy for your buck.

Not the lightest, about 3-4th lightest in hub sets

If you need a good hub for x-country riding, buy this one, best value for any rider.

Similar Products Used: shimano hubs
Ron   Cross Country Rider [Aug 08, 2000]

After 3 months the freewheel failed and then the hub itself-I managed to install a Shimano freewheel but while it looks like a good fit it really is not quite right--was on vacation and getting parts proved not possible so replaced with XTR's

Have to say this was junk that could not be fixed in Bend Oregon---too bad as I'd like a reason not to buy Shimano

Ralph McNall   Cross Country Rider [Jan 26, 2001]
Strength:

Roll smooth and haven't given me a problem yet
Quality craftsmanship

I don't know what people have talking about because I have nothing but good things to say about these hubs. When I got them I was impressed with the quality and how cleanly every thing was machined. Then I stuck them on my bike and they've been rolling perfect for over a year. I like hubs that you can just forget about and not have to worry about when you're flying down a fire road at 50mph or bouncing around on some rocks. I'm 180 lbs and ride hard and even if I had more money - I wouldn't second guess buying these hubs again.