Mavic crossmax Hub

crossmax

mavic crossmax

raceer2   Weekend Warrior [Apr 06, 2009]
Strength:

none that I can see, given my experience.

there is a reason a) mavic only deals via dealers and b) iits impossible for a consumer to contact mavic direct !

very high maintenance, dodgy free hub, flawed hub design

given the very high price tag they are a load of $%^t, stay away...plus mavic warranty sucks

want a very expensive paperweight ? no thanks

Similar Products Used: american classic, dt swiss, no tubes
Eric Stettler   Weekend Warrior [Apr 08, 2006]
Strength:

light,indestructable

only one you can't use a burly saint derailer

had them for three years,never a problem,except for crashing and bending the rim,my fault not the wheels. reading everybody cry is typical.I'm an auto mechanic and nobody understands maintenance!! get a clue anything breaks unless you maintain it!! granted this is wisconsin but there are all different terrains lift access to urbanriding and a ton of crosscountry. I have no simpathy for all of you whiners.

Similar Products Used: all the standard stuff
Eric Stettler   Weekend Warrior [Apr 08, 2006]
Strength:

light,indestructable

only one you can't use a burly saint derailer

Similar Products Used: all the standard stuff
Jay   Cross Country Rider [Jun 01, 2003]
Strength:

Have only needed to tighten Spokes once in almost 3 years and about 1000+ mls

None but cost.

Well worth the $$ if you are a larger guy who wants less weight and rims that will not need to be trued after every few rides.
Check online for sales and used since they are not "light" enough for some XC geeks.

Similar Products Used: Mavic CrossLinks
Bill   Cross Country Rider [Apr 01, 2006]

Defective design

This is a followup review - one year later after having a hub replaced after 2 months - see earlier reviews for story on terrible service from Mavic. I cleaned it, tightened it, watched it, I really thought it was OK. Today while riding it failed completely - rotates freely both ways.

If you don't mind paying for new hub every 6 months and having to walk out from deep into your ride, this hub is for you.

Similar Products Used: Shimano
db   Racer [Jan 23, 2007]
Strength:

look good

hub body failed 3 times during 2 seasons.

after many years of riding and building my own rigs and wheelsets, i have concluded that mavic are posers. mavic has a reputation that is nowhere near the quality of thier product. the hubs are terrible. i would never buy another set to build a wheelset again. ive tried building with the xc717 rims which are terrrible also. out of the box they had a piece of metal that was stuck between the spoke holes. had to send back. also my other set of rims has a flat spot so severe at the weld that i consider it junk after 1 season of lightweight xc racing. i dont do drops. and mavic doesnt take care of thier customers. after 15 rides (races) my hub failed and because i had the wheelset over 1 year they wouldnt warranty it even tho i only raced them about 15 times during that period. i think they should have made an exception in that case. anyway, like i said, they are existing off their name. their products are not worth the price they charge. my 2¢.

Similar Products Used: spinergy, sunringle with hugi hubs (awesome)
JMS   Weekend Warrior [Dec 04, 2006]
Strength:

No Flex
Smooth rolling bearings
Overall strength

One and one only!
The damn hub design!

As you all know this is the only down fall of these wheels.

If your cassette hub body has ever skipped a pawl, remove and inspect for small metal shaving, these will help chew up the hub spindle and piss you off.

Here is the fix for all us 2006 and down owners:

1. Buy a set of the 2007 pawls - Harder material (stainless steel, will/should not chip).

2. Buy a new cassette hub body (start fresh)

3. Most important! Buy the new seal! They claim this is the problem, it let's dirt in the hub and this creates a sand paper effect. The big concern is the nylon bushing built on the hub cassette body will grind (w/dirt) away at the hub shaft creating play, thus ruining it!

I think its the seal and soft pawls.

4. Use the Mavic Mineral Oil(I read Pedros Road Rage will work also).

Alec   Cross Country Rider [Mar 23, 2007]
Strength:

Overall durability... besides the hubs!

Rear Hub

I agree with everything that ((JMS from San Gabriel)) prior post below is stating regarding the CrossMax XL Hubs...

I did my 1st rear hub maintenance in 12-months last month and I used the new 2007 pawls, replaced the hub body (not upgraded for 2007), 2007 seal (no one had in stock). I had the LBS order one for me. Everything is working/sounding much better than before... most of the hub play went away, etc... But I know it will come back again soon. When the free play in the hub does come back, you'll notice your rear cassettes getting worn more quickly and/or start to make crackling noises. These hubs are not made for people over 140-pds and/or heavy loads/torque... they'll wear out quickly.

I'll probably keep these CrossMax XL's for my girls Santa Cruz Juliana since I just did the maintenance on them and build myself a set of the new I9's or Chris Kings...

scarface   Racer [Oct 08, 2005]
Strength:

light, fast, pretty

rear hub

i use these wheels on my race bike for racing only. after 25 rides i had to replace the freewheel body. broken pawls and damaged inside the body. treated these wheels like they were the crown jewels. shouldnt have problems after so few rides on an $800 wheelset.