Machine Tech Hubs Hub

Machine Tech Hubs Hub

Machine Tec Hubs

[Oct 12, 2012]
Phil

Strength:

They look really beefy and cool

The flanges on both hubs broke in pretty light use. These things suck. Avoid them.

Don't throw your money away

[Dec 01, 2008]
Tom

Strength:

Silent, looks great, zero problems, and bearings stay very clean.

Simply works. I have never had a problem with these hubs. I bought these used, and can't believe they cost so little. These things are like getting a Chris King hub on the cheap. After 10 years I am finally adding a small amount of Phil Wood tenacious oil.
As for those who broke wheels, it's how you had the wheels built, abused them, or you just had a fluke. I seriously think you would have broken an XTR hub.
If you want totally bombproof, then buck up and pay for Phil Wood.

LX, DX, XT, Mavic, Chrono Metro

[May 02, 2007]
Paul

Strength:

Silent, smooth

Had my rear hub for 8+ years now and just had to replace cartridge bearings. No problems up until then, love the silent action. Other readers comment about using engine oil instead of grease is spot on, no slippage with oil. There is a small amount of lateral play but I think this is due to the clutch engagement machanism. When you step on the cogs, even lightly, the clutch engages and the play disappears. About to replace the rim with Mavic 717 as they have worn out.

[Jan 03, 2002]
Jason

Strength:

Front hub is bomb proof.

Rear hub slips a little, but it needs servicing. Which brings me to my biggest concern. Where do I get a tool that'll take that wretched lock ring off?

Bummer about everyone's product support problems, guess I'll have to get a tool machined to take the rear hub to bits.

[Oct 23, 2001]
wojo

i still road that hud even with the broken off flange and
risk it on some small tours last month, the soda can hub
broke again this morning. this time 8 spoke holes on the
right flange completely tore off like nobodys bussiness!
trust me everyone!!! get your butts off those hubs before
yee lose many teeth...

[Sep 21, 2001]
wojo

Strength:

nice and shinney!

weak flange

i demand the best when i`m touring who know`s where. I need to depend on the equipment i buy. My front flange cracked taking two holes with it. THIS HUB SUCK`S!! STAY AWAY FROM
THIS PRODUCT-- MAD MOGOLIAN BIKER FROM PHILLY

[Jul 08, 2001]
Greg

Strength:

Light, easy to disassemble and repair

Great Hub! Works fine, no problems, light and responcive!

Chris King

[Jan 24, 1997]
jerry
cross-country rider

I bought these based upon recommendations of a mail order and bike shop in Santa Rosa, Ca and have not been disappointed, I got the wheelset for $330, butted spokes, Mavic 217SUP. The front hub is silky smooth even after most of the winter here in wet-wet-wet Western Oregon, very stiff and no bearing problems yet. Fortunately (from the posted reviews) I have the new T-30 Rear hub, it looks the same but has standard pawls, very noisy! (I can't sneak up on anyone) but it too is silky smooth and so far very durable and has required no maintenance in spite of the wet weather here. Also, I win coasting contests!

[Jan 13, 1997]
Greg Shorts
cross-country rider

I got a fantastic deal on the Machine Tech hubs. I was a little worried about reported slippage, but my LBS assured me that the problem had been solved in the hubs I had. So I went for it, and Have I been pleased. The wheelset was a tremendous upgrade. The hubs are very stiff and work great with my Manatou III's Plus I did a week of nasty muddy riding with little chance for cleaning. When I took the hubs apart to clean them they were practically spotless inside. Color me impressed.

[Apr 26, 2001]
Doug

Hint for everyone with a rear hub. Clean it out with WD-40 then lube it with motor oil. Do not use grease or a wax type lube. The hub has a roller clutch in it. Grease and wax type oils will bind up the bearings in the roller clutch, preventing it from engaging. If you just use motor oil, you'll have many years of life (I have 6 on 3 hubs). If you used grease and rode the crap out of them with the teeth slipping, your probably screwed. It helps to read the directions.