Hugi Hubs Hub

Suspension hubs produced by DT Swiss from 1995-1999

mtbhead   Downhiller [Sep 16, 2010]
Strength:

Totally freakin bulletproof. High quality. Looks great. Even the freehub sounds cool...

None. OK, maybe it doesn't have the instant engagement of the 72-pt Hadleys or Chris Kings...

These are marked "Hayes" on one side, and "DT Hugi" on the other. Fronts are 20mm thru-axle. I've figured out that these are also known as the "98/99 Hugi" hubs, and they share the same rear axle as the modern DT 340 hub (perhaps much of the 340s are the same as these?). I've rocked the same wheelset on my DH bike for 10 years. I admit I don't race it much anymore, but it still sees park time at Northstar at least once a year with these wheels. I've done zero maintenance to them, and they just keep on working. Big drops, doubles, railing corners, mud, rain, double-black diamond rocky-as-heck downhill runs, etc. They just keep on working... I'm impressed even more with the Mavic D321 rims that these are mated to, but that's another review...

Similar Products Used: WTB, Shimano, Ringle, Specialized
Mark Dionne   Weekend Warrior [Aug 08, 2010]

The ratchet action started skipping on the Hugi hub on my tandem. It had no service in the 5+ years I've had it. I found instructions here and at the DTSwiss.com site. They all said to pull off the "adapter" piece (the outermost part of the axle) and also to pull off the entire freehub (the part that holds the cassette.)

I managed to pull off the adapter on the left side, but the adapter on the right would not come off. I came pretty close to ruining it trying to get it off. Finally I realized that it is THREADED onto the end of the axle, and it came right off. It actually has flats for a wrench, though they are small and easily missed. I had initially tried turning the thing, but it just rotated because at that point I still had the adapter on the left side, and the axle was spinning where the adapter mounts.

So the bottom line is: if you have this kind of hub, pull off the left adapter, grip the axle there, and remove the right side adapter with a 17mm wrench.

The reason the ratchets were failing is just that the old grease was gumming things up. I also noticed that the "gear teeth" on the outside of one of the ratchet pieces was worn, so I swapped the two ratchet pieces which are identical.

Similar Products Used: Shimano
msujedi   Cross Country Rider [May 27, 2010]
Strength:

Light & Durable

a bit loud

I built my 'dream-ride' part by part from '94-'96 as I had money in college. Ahh, so light & quick! The Hugi hubs glide smoothly! After 1 month of riding, my bike was thrown from its rack during a highway car accident...only to be run over by 2 big rigs before I was able to get back to it! The rims, spokes, and tires were trashed. The stem, handlebars, and brake levers were tweaked. But, everything else was fine! Ok, so the frame had a few minor dents & scratches, but no structural damage. I replaced the front end parts & had my Hugi hubs re-spoked with a lower-grade rim due to financial constraints. 14yrs and many many mountain & road miles later I need to replace my rims...but I plan to continue to use my Hugi hubs. From my experience, they're BOMB PROOF! I don't understand why some of the others have had a different experience.

Similar Products Used: deore XT, deore LX ...many yrs ago.
old school dave   Racer [Mar 11, 2009]
Strength:

Never had a problem with these. Although mine are about 10 years old, or so...

None, that I've ever had.

I've been riding on mine for about 10 years now, and was informed by the tech at Colorado Cyclist that the hubset that I was having built up for mountain use, was actually a road hub. But I had them build them up anyway. I've been running them on a Rocky Mountain Team Only Vertex (aluminum hard tail) and a Specialized carbon/ti suspention fork (80mm) with no problems at all, and would have to say that these are probably the best hubs I've ridden (20 years experiance). Colorado Cyclist builds up some great wheelsets. My rear tire locked horns with a pretty big branch last year, that bent one spoke and knocked it slightly out of dish, but nothing wrong with the hubs. Maybe the production standards have changed since I've purchased mine.

Similar Products Used: Mavic, Shimano, Pulstar
lebikerboy   Weekend Warrior [Jan 03, 2009]
Strength:

Strong hubs, high flanges allow shorter spokes which equals stronger wheels.

I have two sets, one are Hayes/DT the other DT/Hugi. The former are standard lengths while the latter required use of spacers to make the disks centre correctly.

Great hubs which require a little more finesse to setup and maintain. If you keep the ratchets lubed correctly (I use a sticky fully synthetic spray made by wurth) they'll last just about forever!

Similar Products Used: Hope, Formula, Shimano etc.
Ride Biker   Cross Country Rider [Jul 17, 2003]
Strength:

My non-disc '02 240's are lightweight and smooth. So far, everything is fine.

I wouldn't call this a freeriding hubset.

I have had no problems riding these hubs in the dirt for 20 miles, 2-3 times a week for a year. I have performed the no-tools maintenence 3 times (just before winter, mid winter, after winter) using the grease that DT-Swiss promptly sent me for free. Each time, the hub just popped apart with little effort. After the no-tools maintenence the freehub is silent for a good 6 weeks, then you will start to hear the typical freewheel clicking, which is fairly quiet for another 6 weeks. Then it sounds like a Shimano, just clicking. The louder the freewheel sound, the closer you are to performing maintenence. It takes an hour, some solvent, q-tips, and Hugi grease. I wouldn't try to bash this hubset, these are cross country hubs. Although they are worth it, they are a little too expensive. Minus 1 value chili!

Similar Products Used: various Shimano hubs
axel   Cross Country Rider [Jun 25, 2003]
Strength:

every thing

took a long time to break in the front hub i guess the front hub was so tight just because of the grease because the hub was smooth as butter

after a billion peddal kicks the hub still works unlike the shimano freehubs that i blow up in a week or so. for every step up in shimano you get one more week to tear the free hubs to pieces.so spend the money and get the hubs that work

Similar Products Used: all shimano and rode some phill woods on a friend bike
s   Cross Country Rider [Apr 06, 2006]
Strength:

its light.

ripped two hub shells apart. Dt warrantied it twice

The magura wheelset I bought came with ST 240 hubs. The rear shell split. dt warrantied it, I laced it up and road 3 times with broken wrist. the hub split again. Not sure if I am gonna lace this hub up again or try something else.

Similar Products Used: nothing similar used since other hubs did not break
Mark   Cross Country Rider [Sep 05, 2003]
Strength:

Light, Well Made

Very difficult to service. "Tooless" concept is a joke, and specialized toolkit is expensive and incomplete.

These are lightweight and have proven to be durable. That's the good part. Now, the bad part. All hubs, no matter how durable, need to be serviced occasionally, and servicing (dissasembling, cleaning, re-greasing) these hubs is a huge pain.

Hugi claims that the rear hub supports "toolless" partial disassembly (enough to service the ratchet drive, but not the bearings) - don't believe it. In order to service the rear freewheel/ratchet drive, you have to remove the axle end-cap (or "adapter", in Hugi-speak) and the rotor (the part that carries the cassette). Both of these are press-fit onto the axle, and thus can be removed without tools, *in theory*. Here's the reality: The end-cap/adapter will almost always require, at a minimum, an axle vise to get off. Axle vises are cheap, so this is no big deal, but it already throws the "toolless" idea out the window.

The rotor is much worse. I can almost guarantee that, if you have been using your hubs for a while, you will not be able to remove this "by hand," and the alternative is to use a removal adapter, which is part of the toolkit (which costs $85) and which must be used in conjunction with a gear puller, which is not included in the toolkit and will run you another $35 (more, if you want a decent-quality one - mine cost $100).

So, doing even basic service on these hubs will most likely require a $100+ investment in tools. Contrast this with Chris King hubs, which can be serviced to a similar degree with the help of two 5mm allen wrenches.

Bottom line: If you want hubs you can maintain, get Chris King.