Hope XC Hub Hub

The XC Hubs have one piece aluminum hub shells with sealed cartridge bearings throughout. The cassette body is available in either a steel or titanium and it uses a three pawl ratchet mechanism. The front and rear are available to accept quick release. Available in the International Standard 6 bolt disc fitting.

apjrees   Cross Country Rider [Sep 30, 2008]
Strength:

It rolls and it's pretty light.

I bought these 2nd hand already built to some wheels. They were lighter on the scales than XT, they seemed to have less takeup than XT too. Can't fault them really, they do the things a hub should do.

Similar Products Used: XT hubs.
efriberg   Weekend Warrior [Aug 04, 2008]
Strength:

Loud clicking scares pedestrians out of the way.

None other then what I am going to say below.

Second season on the hub, maybe put a total of 300 miles on it and the freewheel bearing has vaporized. I heard it going.... going.....gone, I didn't realize that noise was coming from inside the wheel, sounded like a stick rubbing on the rubber. We'll see how easy it is to fix. I cant identify the bearing parts, so matching up the right one may be tricky if I cant find the proper drawings from Hope. Other than this little problem, I really liked it. Now I'll have steal my pregnant wife's rim to go riding until it's fixed, I hope she doesn't get possessive. I'd give it five chillies if it wasn't for this premature problem.

Similar Products Used: The usual shimano xt stuff.
Alastair   Cross Country Rider [Sep 01, 2003]
Strength:

Bulletproof, smooth sealed bearings

Great hub, they've got very smooth bearings, they're a reasonable weight and just keep on going with no problems. As another reviewer mentioned, you are supposed to service them (I hadn't for 2 years of use, but still no problems...) I emailed Hope and they sent me servicing directions. Every 3 months, pull off the freewheel and clean and regrease the pawls and rachet. Every week, put a drop of oil down between the freewheel and hub to keep the seal properly lubricated.

Similar Products Used: XTR, XT
Steve   Weekend Warrior [Jul 30, 2007]
Strength:

Reliable, smooth rolling, great value

I'm now transferring these to my new Yeti 575. After 3 years of hard, rocky trail riding, these hubs are still fresh. Put them on and forget about them (at least in the dry coniditions I ride in). Very happy with this purchase.

Similar Products Used: Shimano, Specialized Stout
k3n!f   Cross Country Rider [Mar 18, 2006]
Strength:

Looks, light weight, sealed bearings, high quality manufacture, made in the UK, lots of freewheel engagement points.

None so far.

Great hubs, fantastic quality, confidence inspiringly solid, very tight tolerences, fantastic price for what you get. Buy em' and forget about them cos they will work flawlessly =D

Similar Products Used: Shimano deore disc hubs.
Tomas   [Jan 21, 2007]
Strength:

They simply do their job and work as expected, price

None so far

After more than three years of use I think it is time to review this great product, a Hope rear XC hub with Ti axle.
It's been built up on a Mavic 819 rim (36 spokes) and this combination has been flawless for my all mountain use.
Never had any issues what so ever, engagement has worked perfectly. Riding in water, snow, ice or mud has never presented problems using this rear hub.

Pete Dooley   Weekend Warrior [Apr 24, 2003]
Strength:

These hubs are so well made,I have a set of Hope Ti front and rear hubs on my rigid C,dale which are about 7 years old and are still running perfectly.Bearings are easy to get but be careful installing them.

Take a bit of time to break in..if you can call that a weakness!!!

These hubs are the business,look good,last for ages,quality of construction.

Similar Products Used: Hope Ti Hyperglide rear and Fatso front
Kevin Beel   Cross Country Rider [Oct 25, 2005]
Strength:

Well made CNC product. Made in England. Great after sales service. Super quality control. Almost a work of art (to my engineers mind!). Uses off the shelf bearings (that can be replaced by me when worn out!).

The freewheel pawl click can be a bit tooo loud on occasions (big deal!)

I have had 3 sets of these babies over the years on 3 different bikes - from original non-disc Titanium Sus front & rear to current disc ones. No failures. Sure the bearings wear over 1000-1500 miles of XC, but I think that is a good life. And then you buy a new set of decent bearings from your local bearing specialst and replace them yourself!! No special tools needed, just a bit of common sense. All a bit eco-friendly really.
Any time I needed support from Hope (phone or e-mail) they have been great.

Similar Products Used: Shimano LX, XT hubs.
Sam Fox   Downhiller [Feb 09, 2006]
Strength:

evrything, strong durable ect

incredible hub, over the years i have used used it for trials, cross country and then downhill. after it finally died (snapped axle and rounded off rachet) after some pretty hard abuse, i sent it back to hope expecting a phone call with a large bill however, within a week recieved a brand new one free of charge, so all in all amzing quality and amazing aftermarket care. i would recommend anyone to buy this product, it is suitable for any branch of cycling.