Hope Pro ll Front Hub

Hope's lightweight Pro II front disc hub represents the next evolution in hub design with performance and durability capable of handling your aggressive style.

xmessenger   [Nov 24, 2014]
Strength:

Build quality, solid, relatively light without being crazy. Quality bearing. easily convertible axle system. Smooth. Nice colours.
I got a special edition old school purple ano with my Hope Hoop.

I don't mind working on my bike for the most part but there is one area that I prefer to avoid for some reason, probably because its messy, requires multpile items and is time consuming if you don't have a shop. That is bearings! I have had Shimano mostly in the past and honestly they have been great for the most part( a couple of freehub seizures) considering I wouldn't touch them.
Everything else on a bike I will deal with but loose bearing. Too much hassle. I want something well built with decent bearing and Hope delivers. Also being a UK company they seem to have decent sealing without being too draggy.
I hated having to bust out degreaser rags bowls cone wrenches the regrease and spend forever trying to get that perfect tightness. Hated it. Sealed is so much better. Much rather have to pop in new ones a few years from now then do all that work.
As far as front hubs, why spend the cash on Chris King or I9? The front is dead simple with an axle and a couple bearings and the shell. Don't waste your money on super high end. Save that for their engagment technologies.

nuno_machuqueiro   Weekend Warrior [Aug 07, 2012]
Strength:

ligth

on a 20 mm has a huge play.
bearings only last 5 to 6 months

hope + lyrik has a huge play, also on a zoki 66 SL so the problem is the hub and not from the suspension.
try some washer to minimise the problem but remains the same.
bearings only las 5 to 6 months:
1º the play is so big that probably accelerate the wear of the bearings
2º protection to the elements is no big deal, it has the cover gap and then the bearings.

here it rains only about 3 months. and does not use high-pressure washing machine.
waste of money

Similar Products Used: dt swiss
shimano
Shark   Cross Country Rider [Feb 07, 2012]
Strength:

Cost effective!
Relatively light.
Converts to almost any axle type you'd want easily.

None so far.

Great hubs!
I have them on 2 bikes and they have been great, no issues at all.

They keep the dirt & crud out very well, never have to service them because nothing gets in.

I have used them with 9mm QR, 15mm QR, and 24mm Maverick axle adapter. All fit great with no issues. As much as I would like to try out a King or Hadley some day, for the price & axle compatibility, I just can't switch from the Hope Pro II's.

Similar Products Used: Giant branded stock hub, Bontrager
BeerBikeBerm   Cross Country Rider [Jul 27, 2010]
Strength:

Light, durable (built this one up twice), well priced, any axle option you want (I have tried it in QR, 9mm thru-bolt axle w/ a standard fork, and 20mm thru-axle with a Maxle-lite Reba), fancily anodized in many colours. Easily serviced.

Using 20mm adapters seems to not allow it to roll as well, but I only noticed it when rolling the wheel on the stand. So these are not the best rolling (see DT swiss, Paul Components, etc), but good for the price.

Other hubs do just as well, I suppose, but if you are looking for a set-it-and-forget-it option, this hub has been great. I have not used it on anything beyond 4' drops on an XC bike, and I don't weigh much, and it is a light hub, so, keep that in mind for your safety.

4 for value and there are cheaper hubs that will do what this one does, but they don't come in red, gold, silver, black, blue, gunmetal, am I missing any? I still feel a bit silly colour coordinating a mountain bike...

4 overall as I have experienced some other hubs that are on a whole-nuther level of nice (better eyelet drilling, smoother bearings, tighter construction)

Similar Products Used: Chris king, Formula Hubs, Shimano, etc.
finch2   Cross Country Rider [Apr 01, 2010]
Strength:

looks great, smooth rolling, options on axels

bearings have a fair bit of play in them. Really offputting.

worth the money if there is no play in the bearings. As is I wish I got something else for my money, or could return them. Once the wheel was built up it was just too much trouble to send them back overseas to CRC. Hope weren't very helpful at the end of the day. Would have got full chillies if there was no play

Joe Nation   Weekend Warrior [Jan 12, 2010]
Strength:

Build quality, choice of colours, adaptability (only hub I know that can do QR, 15mm, 20mm and 24mm through axle).

er... the bearings aren't Phil Wood?

Quite simply the best front hub money can buy.

Similar Products Used: Hope XC
forrest25   Cross Country Rider [Jul 30, 2009]
Strength:

looks good, holds up.

O-rings on the axle.

Its a great hub. It has stayed true for six months now, and it has performed better then I expected. The only thing is, is that I tried to grease up the hub end pieces and the O-rings expanded and couldn't get them back into the hub. I fixed it but that was a bit annoying. That is the only complaint though.

mtnbikfrut   Racer [Jun 12, 2009]
Strength:

price, smooth

slop in bearings

there is a little bit of slop in the hub. I called Hope directly, they said they put in some bad bearings. Sent me some replacements right away at no charge. Great customer service, but unfortunate that I either have to replace the bearings myself or pay my bike shop to do it.

nhodge   Weekend Warrior [Mar 15, 2009]
Strength:

everything you'd want in front hub

there are none

as much as i have NO use for the proII rear, i think the front is as good as you could want up front. totally accessable to maintain{grease}, totally smooth & totally
silent,although i don't know if any front hubs make any noise. i like to feel like i'm getting my moneys worth in any component & the proII is maybe the best quality for cost of any part on my bike.

Similar Products Used: Kings, XT,LX{both junk}
Psycho Mike   Cross Country Rider [Jan 24, 2009]
Strength:

Solid hub, easy to convert between 20mm and QR, variety of colors and great value for what you get.

Not as bling as a Hadley or Chris King, there are other good hubs out there for a little less if you're out to save a buck or two.

These are a good, dependable hub made to take a lot of abuse (mud, grime, cold, wet...you get the idea) and are easily serviceable and convertible between popular axle formats. They come in a variety of colors for those who want to coordinate with their frame or whatever.

I picked this hub up for my first hand built set of wheels and they have been worth the additional investment. They have performed solidly over the last year (and I'm not the most graceful clyde (heavy) rider out there) and, although they don't garner the same wow factor as a Hadley or King hub, they are certainly superior to what I've used in the past. Hope makes a solid product with a lot of versatility and, thought I haven't had to put it to the test, I understand they really look after their customers too.

If you're after good value and quality in a hub and don't mind putting a little more money toward something that will outlast cheaper hubs...without absolutely breaking the bank...then think Hope :)