Hope Bulb Hub Hub

The Bulb Hubs are Hope Technology's answer to the battle between weight and strength. These hubs can be used for DH or dual slalom, but are also light enough for cross country. They can easily be changed from 20mm through-axle to QR in minutes. At only 170 measly grams, this hub is perfect for the finicky cyclist.

Ti   Cross Country Rider [Aug 22, 2007]
Strength:

36 point engagement. Fit and Finish is perfect.

So far so good.

Good hub. I would buy an NOS one if available.

Similar Products Used: TNT, Shim XT, Phil Wood
PJM   Cross Country Rider [Aug 16, 2007]
Strength:

Looked good, and seemed a bit less pricey than hubs that cost as much as entire bikes!!!!!!!!!!!

It kept breaking. Probably not meant for the harder-core rider who rides alot of miles, climbs alot, or who may be LARGER....

This hub I have reviewed below through the last 3 yrs. Check em out. I broke TWO of these rear hubs. The first
within the 1st yr of riding, and this second one went out last month after 1.5 more yrs. I do carry 215lbs but almost never leave the ground.
The ratchet ring teeth were the culprit BOTH times.
Seems that in certain situations, (panic jamming on the pedals in weird trail transitions) one of the pawls catch just right on one of the teeth, and busts it off. Then the piece of tooth that busted off starts grinding all
the other teeth down within minutes of pedaling, permanently wrecking the rest of the hub.
Even if you notice it,and field-service the ratchet to remove it, you are still doomed...Believe me, I have done it. Unless you ride just a little bit, not really recommended. Lo siento mucho...

Similar Products Used: Just about every hub I ride I seems to fail. (except Bullseys, or shim.xtr's) Have not ridden Kings because of the affordability.
Ken   Cross Country Rider [Mar 17, 2006]
Strength:

Cost

Freehub

This is a follow up to an older post. I broke the freehub mech. twice. Hope fixed it both times for free, but I had to remove the hub from my wheel and send it to California. I sold the hub to my much lighter brother who loves the hub. I bought a King HD a year ago and have had not one problem with the hub at all.

My last review of this I gave 5 flames, so to make it average right I will give it ones this time.

I think the hub is decent, but not if you break freehubs.

Ken.

Similar Products Used: Shimano hubs - I wouldn't say my latest King is similar
Ivan   [Jan 23, 2007]

I've had a bulb front hub in use for over a year now. The hub continues to be issue free. I must admit I don't do anything to the hub (no grease no adjustments, etc). I believe I paid a little bit more than for a shimano, but less than the super high end (CK, Hadley) hubs. But I may have gotten it for sale. Bottom line is no issues on the front end. I may try a rear pro2 someday based on this hub's non issue.

pete   Cross Country Rider [Jan 24, 2006]
Strength:

super smooth, super strong and great color.

none!

Greats hub's and they're so smooth. Thank you Hope!

Similar Products Used: wtb laser v dh....................sucks ass!!
d d   Weekend Warrior [Dec 25, 2001]
Strength:

massive axel even in standard qr versions
made in england
light enough
bearings look quite well protected from muck

price

Its a good hub, a tad expensive though. I got fed up of bending the shimano axels. They do however use cartridge bearings which you can't service, insted you have to replace them which costs more than a few ball bearings.

Similar Products Used: shimano Lx, xt
Ken   Cross Country Rider [Sep 21, 2001]
Strength:

Freehub body strenth, rapid engagement, looks

If it holds up the same. . . none

Blew out seven freehubs this season. I ended up with the bulb by reading reviews on this sight. Came down to the King or the Hope. I obviously chose the Hope. My Shimano hubs (XT-ACERA X) didn't last more than two weeks and bang, no more freewheel. It has been a month with no problems yet. I weigh in a 240 lbs. and I ride technical terrain aggressively, so I wanted something strong. I had a hard time finding a retailer selling the hopes, but finally Cycle-mania.uk hooked me up. I had a Mavic D521 CD laced to a Hope 36 spoke hope bulb for $220 shipped. It was a good price, but it took a while (6 weeks, I am in the USA). I guess it had to do with them all going on Holiday in August. Not that it is important, but I get a lot of compliments on the sound, and the engagement is nice and fast. I counted too, 16 for my Shimano and 36 clicks for the Bulb. I don't have much use for the through axle, but it does have the flexibility. What sold me is that they rec. this hub for tandems too, so I figured it would be nice and strong. So far so good.

Hub is somewhat expensive, but if I don't have to worry about it anymore, it is cheap.

Nice hub!!

Similar Products Used: Nothing really similar, only Shimano, and that doesn't compare.
Crazy Bit#$   Weekend Warrior [Apr 26, 2001]
Strength:

-Sweet looks!!
-STRONG!Really stiff hub body
-Pretty light--only hubs that come close are Chris Kings(massive chi-chi factor,but aren't strong enough for freeride use and are SERIOUSLY pricey)
-20-mm axle compatible
-An absolute breeze to work on
-Will last a while..
-Makes the sweetest freewheel click known to man

-DAMN EXPENSIVE($150 for front,$230 for rear,and that's discount!)
-Not quite as sweet as Phils

These are SWEET hubs.Yes they are pricey,but no other hub built this lightweight can take so much frickin' abuse and not crap out!!Only Phil Woods are better.

I laced up the 32-hole Bulbs to Sun Rhyno(no Lite)rims using a 4x pattern.Even with the added stress of discs and serious freerding torture by myself and my ex-Sport level DH buddy,NOT ONCE HAVE THE WHEELS COME OUT OF TRUE!!These hubs are great.

After 5 months of constant flogging my buddy took in the hubs to be looked at(he's a little paranoid,but I checked 'em anyway to be safe).I took them apart in a matter of minutes(these things are SO EASY to work on compared to Shimano or other standard hubs--once again only Phil Woods compare),checked everything,and they were absolutely mint!Kudos to Hope!They make GOOD SH$T!!

5 CHILIES!!

Similar Products Used: Phil Wood Kiss-Off rear hub,LX hubs,XT hubs,Specialized Stout
James   Weekend Warrior [Apr 24, 2001]
Strength:

They are invincible and although seem expensive you will never need to touch them. for strength they are the lightest hub on the market

a poor man from washington (i think?) busted his doing cross country somehow? And hope have cocked him up. I feel sorry for him but i think it is an isolated case. I have found no weakness in these hubs!

I have busted a pair of chris king rear hubs doing cross country, so they are iffy if you ride hard. But these are the ultimate all round hub, But come into their own in the hardcore riding section, do not worry about sealing cause that is perfect, and the option to have eithe 20 mm or standard is good but i dont use it.

If you ride cross country these are fine but buy the Sport Or Ti Glide. if you jump,DH,Trial,Or slalom etc buy these. for trials they are a godsend because of the lack of weight for the strength.