Hope Big un disc brake hub Hub

Big un disc brake hub

The Big' uns are Hope Technology's answer to the demands of today's downhill maniacs. The oversized hub flange builds beautifully into a bombproof DH or dual slalom wheelset. There are very few other wheels in the world that can compare with the strength, durability and reliability of a Big' uns' . Best of all, these monsters have been on a diet this year! They still retain all their brute strength, yet are trimmed down to only 292g and 493g front and rear!! (20 mm axle too! )

MadRab424   Downhiller [Nov 08, 2010]
Strength:

Real bombproof construction,
Angle of spokes leaving hub alleviates potential weak point at bend in spoke.

None that I can find.

Not the lightest hubs but they are super strong, really easy to service, make the authentic Hope freewheel noise. These hubs are over 10 years old and are still perfect with just one change of bearings that I know about.

Similar Products Used: XT, XTR, and Halo hubs.
Jake aylward   Downhiller [Jun 25, 2009]
Strength:

seriously srong hubs makes an awsome noise

there is'nt one

these hubs are excellent for dh riding

Similar Products Used: formula ss hub
jason   Cross Country Rider [Oct 27, 2003]
Strength:

durability, reliability, cool looks.
builds a better wheel than anything on the market!!!!

weight, but this is also why I purchased the things.

I have no idea what these people are doing to be so destructive. I have really used the crap out of these hubs and they have only improved with use. The quality of wheel build achieved with the wide flanges has made me a better rider, period. I have put over 3000 miles of hard riding on these wheels and actually enjoy the fact that I can do anything on my bike without being in danger of component failure. Try the hubs and you will be a better cyclist due to accurate steering and confident riding.

Similar Products Used: king, dt hugi, xtr, xt, woodman, hadley, (I build a lot of custom wheels)
DR. DRE   Weekend Warrior [Aug 10, 2001]
Strength:

THEZE HUBZ R MADD BEEEFY. AND THEY LOOK GOOD TOO. U CAN ALSO CHANGE THEM FROM QR TO THRU AXLE. NICE SOUND FROM REAR HUB.

NONE

WANT BEEFY HUBS THAT R SEALED WELL AND CAN STAND UP TO ALL THE PUNISHEMENT U THROW AT IT AND MORE. BIG UN'S KID!!!!!!!!!!!

Similar Products Used: XT, CHRIS KING, HUGI, RINGLE, OTHER CRAP
Cristobal Marnilupi   Cross Country Rider [Mar 03, 2003]
Strength:

Solid ride feel. Has been very strong (externally only). Attractive black color.

Rachet mechanism which pawls contact, along with the freewheel body are thrashed after normal wear & tear. Hub internals did not pull apart for disassembly as Hope suggested they would. I used a gear-puller (not a bike tool) to remove freewheel body for regreasing.

2002 Big'Un rear hub is rubbish. After about 20-30 MTB rides, our combined 300-lb. weight toasted the pawls and rachet mechanism to where it seized into a fixed-gear.

Hope has told me that the 2003 hub is improved. I'm warrantying my 2002 hub right now through Hope USA and will see if the 2003 is indeed better. I sure Hope so!

If this hub doesn't work, I will switch to a Chris King tandem specific model, upon recommendation of other tandem friends.

Similar Products Used: XTR rear hub (worked great)
Brady   Downhiller [May 21, 2001]
Strength:

Big, Strong, tought, good looks, did I say Big?

There are weaknesses with Hope hubs??

Big strong hubs that you will never break. Not to mention they look good. 5 bolt flange really provides an extremely stiff break setup, lot stronger than the 6 bolt stuff, not to mention less likely to warp disks.

Bought them as a wheelset built up from Cambria cheaper than I could buy the hubs by themselves.

Upgraded from a set of Hope Bulb hubs, another fine hub set.

Similar Products Used: Hope, $himano
Ben Montoya   Downhiller [Feb 26, 2001]
Strength:

Bombproof. Literally.

None.

Well, I initially ordered a 32 hole, but I received a 36 hole from the wonderful e-retailer...
This sucked ass because:
a) I had already bought a 32 hole sun Double wide.
b) The company I ordered it from can be pretty rude in customer service. I TOTALLY got the run-around.

So I sold the double wide for 50 bucks and bought a 36 hole d321. Laced it up, been riding it for about three months, and I just can't believe how bomber it is. VERY strong wheel. I destroy wheels. I don't think this will happen to my big un wheel. That's all. Bomber gear from a kick-ass company. I'm giving it 5 chilis for value because 120 bucks ain't that much for the most bomber hub I've ever seen, and it gets 5 chilis in overall because chicks dig it. Plus it's red.-thanks Hope!
Ben

Similar Products Used: Other hope 20mm hubs, but nothing really compares.
Inbred   [Jan 03, 2001]
Strength:

Unbreakable!

Massive weight so downhill only kids! Unless you have super human stamina!

Perfect for downhill, Stick to bulb hubs for slalom though the big 'uns are a bit heavy for jumping!

Similar Products Used: hope bulb (much better alternative for slalom),Diatech,
StuntsKid   Downhiller [Nov 02, 2000]
Strength:

Strong (doh!)
Easy to service

Weight
Cost

Hope build excellent kit and have superb service in the UK.
This hub was ran for 2 years of downhilling (NAMBS - wet?!) in the Yorkshire mud without touching it.
However, when it packed up before my race Trevor from HOPE stripped it, replaced the bearings and Ti freehub, patted me on the head and sent me on my way. No charge!
Still running sweet 18 months later with 2 trips to Morzine and numerous stacks and slams to it's name.

Hardcore, strong and smooth. Takes the power and the hits. Wide flanges build a very strong wheel.