Hadley Racing XC Rear Hub Hub

XC Rear Hub

-cartridge bearings

JustinKreger   Racer [Dec 19, 2013]
Strength:

Smooth, quick engagement. Strong and usable on a variety of terrains. I use them for fast XC trails, long 12 hour endurance races, and some tough and unforgiving trails. Beautiful sound.

what weaknesses?

It is a great hub for all kinds of riding, light enough for XC and durable enough for trail riding. The 72 pt engagement is both quick and light with out being obnoxious. I have used them for 1 full season after my dad used them on his singlespeed for thousands of miles (4-5 seasons) and i just recently had to rebuild it because of loose bearings. Very durable.

Dan GSR   Cross Country Rider [May 15, 2012]
Strength:

Great 72 point engagement. very smooth. quiet. thru bolt design is fantastic. cheaper than chris king

Got this in 135mm x 10mm thru bolt in gold anodized. Hub looks killer.
I have these laced to a stans flow 29er rim and can say the wheel is a lot faster than my stock wheels
anyone looking for a top of the line hub, but don't want to pay chris king or i9 prices, look no further

Similar Products Used: Shimano M525 hubs on Bontrager rims
dgw7000   Cross Country Rider [Feb 09, 2012]
Strength:

Hadley, the way they do business is second to none!! I have a project 321 front blue hub for my 2011 Cannondale Flash 2 Alloy. After all my research I desided to go with Hadley for the rear hub, it took one phone call to Hadley and I new I was going with them. I placed the order with Balle Racing, Eric "Great guy" to deal with very honest.
After placing the order I than had concern about the rear hub not matching the front project 321 blue hub, Hadley blue has a richer darker color. I than sent a seatpost clamp I had that matched my front hub perfect to Hadley and asked them to match that clamp color to my new hub they were getting ready to build. Sue said they would do there best, and pick a lighter blue of the batch. They did a great job and even sent the tools I need to service the hub with oil. Does Chris King do this!!!
The hub is about 100 grams over built compared to King, but this is one thing I really don't care about. I need a strong hub with Titanium cassette body, 72 points of engagement. I even requested better Japanese bearings that had sightly more drag because of the seals they use in them. This will help to keep out any water as I go though alot of steams in my riding.
The sound this hub makes other people just know it's a Hadley, I love this hub very solid, no flex and very nice looking!!!

NONE AT ALL

Just get the Hadley hub, everytime you ride you'll be smiling.

Similar Products Used: Hope, Shimano, and Sram. Hope is about the same price as Hadley. Hadley way better except for weight!!!
Lowjack   Racer [Sep 15, 2010]
Strength:

Best best hub on the market, hands down.

Has no magic powers to speak of...

Think of King with a titanium free hub body and with out the drag of the King hub. This hub rolls forever while free wheeling. You can't go wrong with this hub on your next wheelset.

Similar Products Used: King, DT Swiss, Hope, ShimaNO, Real
far raider   Cross Country Rider [Aug 24, 2010]
Strength:

Strengths are that I never have to think about it. It just works, quick engagement and lets others know I am behind them. It is on its seccond wheel build in 5 years and never had a problem...until now. I stupidly stripped the hex on my through axel by not seating the allen wrench properly when changing a flat. I called Hadley and the only thing better than their hub is their customer service. A real person answers the phone and said "no problem we'll get you a new axel, no charge". Whenever I need to buy a hub it will be a Hadley

Try to find one.

If you are contemplating the value of a high-end hub consider the amount of crap hubs you will go through and the aggravation and time of a new wheel build. I have never ridden a CK but it could not be better than Hadley as they are damn near perfect. Also, read my comment about their customer service again. It is top-notch.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XTs I broke 3 before I ponied up for a Hadley and have had no problems since
jamie copson   Cross Country Rider [May 04, 2010]
Strength:

titanium cassete body, 72 engagement, reponsive

none so far

good

Similar Products Used: chris king
WilliamK   Weekend Warrior [Apr 29, 2010]
Strength:

Simplicity of design, high strength and durability through precise machining and accurate tolerances.

You’ll give away 100 grams on some, but, this is in the centre of the rotating mass, so the penalty is negligible

I like the engagement, a very instant feel. This hub comes into its own for out of the saddle acceleration – explosive fun. It’s a benefit for technical climbing, adds to the confidence at least, stop, balance, manoeuvre and pedal forward, or pop a wheelie over that G out.

Rolls/free wheels extremely well. 4 of us guys bought hubs at the same time, the other guys went for Kings. I am constantly out rolling them – not a great test, but indicative of performance.

One experience I had was being shown and guided through new single track by a fellow rider. I didn’t know the track, but still there were 150m sections of near flat that I was freewheeling and this guy was constantly pedalling. They roll very very well. Every time I ride, there is at least one moment when the bike takes off due to the hub’s efficiency. They make me smile every ride.

My hubs got a knock 12 weeks in, check and tighten, then check and tighten again at 6 months. They are made to be easy to maintain – simple and tough, so do it. They haven’t needed any further adjustments since. If you get them, check them as you bed them in, once done, these precision hubs will go for ages.
They really make a difference to your ride, a worthwhile upgrade.

Similar Products Used: DT, Kings, SLX
Marc25   Cross Country Rider [Mar 19, 2010]
Strength:

Very strong
Durable
Extremely simple and dependable (low maintenance)
Required no special tool for disassembly and/or repair
Spin freely and fast engagement (72 engagement points option)

Weight (But the fact that Hadley put priority on streght and durability is the very reason why this hub is so good... so it's not that much of a weakness)

I had a Hadley hub on a downhill bike for year and i was extremely satisfied. So, when i decide to build the LTc i wanted something simple and reliable with a fast engagement. I thougt about CK but overall i prefer the KISS (Keep It Stupid Simple) approach of Hadley. To work on a CK hub you need a whole set of fancy and pricey tool, a 100 pages instruction booklet and a lot of care. With hadley,you can do prety much anything with a set of basic tool, you don't need instruction manual and, if you need to, you can overhaul your hub on the side of the trail.

Also, because all Hadley hub share a lot of pieces, replacement part are easy to find when you deal with DH oriented bike shop.

Titanium freewhub body is very smart, it doesnt mark and gouge like aluminum shell does and save weight over stainless steel.

Freewheel make a nice noise in both 36 and 72 engagement point version.

For me the price to quality ratio of hadley is one of the best in the whole industry.

Similar Products Used: Mavic crossmax, American Classic, Shimano XT
sk8dad   Cross Country Rider [Feb 11, 2010]
Strength:

bomb proof, 72 POE, ti freehub, axel options, serviceable, pawls and springs MUCH cheaper than King drive disks.

heavy, loud, hard to contact manufacturer as a consumer.

Retail is a bit pricey, but I paid $350 for a brand new hubset laced to new Rhyno Lites and DT spokes. That's not bad at all. The seller didn't like the loud freehub, you can quiet it down significantly with some King white lube.

Trials (not trails) riding on the street is very demanding on the hubs--especially the pawls. Although I'm a fairly light rider (170 lbs with gear on), I do pedal kick a lot. It's nice to have a solid engagement that's quick (72 clicks).

The bearing preload stays tight unlike my Kings. I've ridden these for about 6 months and no play at all.

They are a tad heavy, but if you are at all looking at these hubs, I gather durability is your main concern. Not a XC race hub, but it will do perfectly if you huck to flat all day long. A fellow trials rider who weighs in around 190 with gear is constantly breaking frames, blew through a King hub in a few weeks by stretching the hub body around the bearing seat. He's been riding Hadley for 3 years now with constant 5-6 foot drops to concrete and 6 foot pedal gaps. Only replaced a few pawls during regular maintenance.