Gusset 1-ER Single Speed Conversion Hub

1-ER Single Speed Conversion

Gusset 1er Single Speed Conversion, 16/18t: Converts any 8-9sp HG splined cassette hub to a single speed. Includes 2) deep tooth CrMo steel 3/32" cogs, 1) 14mm spacer, 1) 19mm spacer and a lockring.

aldous   Cross Country Rider [Nov 25, 2009]
Strength:

Cheap

Cheap (as in quality); flimsy stamped cog, limited chain line adjustment

I made the mistake of going for the cheapest single speed conversion option. Mistake.

First, the cog that comes with this kit is worthless junk. Second, the spacers DO NOT fit on Chris King freehubs! Even heating them prior to installation, they would not slide over the hub splines (the cog fit); this is probably due to the precision tolerances King use in manufacturing their parts. So basically the kit was useless, and I never got to try it on the dirt. But judging by the Huffy-lookin' cog I wouldn't trust it anyway.

I went with the burly Surly stainless cog and spacer set, which fit like a velvet glove.

Similar Products Used: Surly cog and spacer kit
djsancocho   Cross Country Rider [Nov 24, 2009]
Strength:

Cheap

minimal chain line adjustment, crappy stamped steel cog, cheap steel lockring

If you want to try singlespeeding on the cheap and have an old wheel with a Shimano cassette freehub to convert, this might work for you.

Be advised that the spacers DO NOT fit Chris King freehubs, probably because C.K. uses much closer tolerances in their manufacturing. The cheapo cog fit on no problem, but even heating the spacers wasn't enough to slide them over the freehub. I would've had to pound them on - no thanks. So I never got to try this on the trail; I went with a Surly kit, which costs more but is clearly well made.

You get what you pay for.

Similar Products Used: Surly cog and spacer kit
Jim Arturi   Weekend Warrior [Sep 15, 2007]
Strength:

Simple installation, Cheap

Lack of cog choices

This kit is the ultimate in ease when converting to a SS. I'm building my SS from the ground up and I went for this kit from the start. It fits perfectly on my Shimano hub and even though it only came w/ two spacers I got the perfect chainline on the first try. I dont know how it's gonna hold up over the long haul but as for the initial install it's excellent. Plus it's 20 bucks. How do you go wrong?

Similar Products Used: None, this is my first SS
Hallicraft   [Dec 07, 2007]
Strength:

Simple, four pieces, well made, cheap

Two chainline adjustments

If it works, it works. The chainline is real close, nothing out of place. Got lucky, with a half link no tensioner needed. Can see why it wouldn't work in every case, but it's clean.
For $25, take a chance.

Similar Products Used: none
Blaine   Weekend Warrior [Sep 24, 2006]
Strength:

Fits right on my shimano hub. Doesn't skip. Great for my dirt jump bike.

None so far.

Great product.I wanted a hub that i could switch beetween gears and ss. Kit works great.

Similar Products Used: bmx hubs
Sky   Cross Country Rider [Aug 11, 2005]
Strength:

Nice & Sturdy. Comes with 2 chrome cogs. Gave me a perfect chainline.

None so far..Hopefully the lockring doesnt rust.

For $19 bucks you really cant beat it, most SS cogs are $20 by themselves. If you want to try SS cheap this is the way to go.

You only need one!

Chris   Cross Country Rider [Jul 30, 2005]
Strength:

Clean look simplicity

Beautiful spacers Nice chrome plated cogs. Crapy steel locke ring that rust. I just used an old cassette lock ring instead.

Works great but only 2 choices in chain alignment. Next time I would get one of those kits with multiple rings and one cog that you can space anywhere on the freewheel.

Similar Products Used: None
alex falkenstein   Downhiller [Feb 23, 2005]
Strength:

does what its suposed to do, easy to install, runs nice and smooth

would be nice if it came with a wider range of cog sizes

if you want a single speed, with out buying a 1er hub, get this and use it!!!

Philip   Cross Country Rider [Jun 08, 2006]
Strength:

The kit looks clean and well made.

It does not work on my rear hub made by SuperGo.

The spacers look strong and clean as well as the 2 clogs included. They slide on the hub with no problems... but when come to tighten the locking ring, it prevented my hub from spinning freely! =/ Not sure if the thread of the locking ring is too deep or the hub wasn't compatible. It's a wheelset by the old SuperGo.. Method XC. I'll see if Gausset has a customer support dept. to help me get this thing working.. or I'll try Renen's spacer system next.

Jherich Silas   Cross Country Rider [Nov 12, 2005]
Strength:

It goes on well, it fits well, and it does it job perfectly.

I don't know if I can get it off to change the cogs

If you want to go single speed this is the way to go. If you think you want to try single speed this is the way to go. If you just like to ride this is the way to go.

My overal experience was great, I purchased it from Jenson USA, and they really take care of there customers.

Similar Products Used: none other than BMX type hubs and I don't think I need to after this