GT CNC Hubs Hub

CNC Hubs

GT CNC Hubs

jordan   Cross Country Rider [Aug 29, 2006]
Strength:

hubs look really good, mine are red...ish. rear hub is very quiet. engages quickly. strong. very light.

haven't found any yet.

i just bought the wheelset on ebay for less than $70. i threw them on my bike and rode to my favorite testing ground (a trail called tarantula). after about five hard runs, i decided the hubs were good. i was a bit nervious because of all of the negative reviews here, but i have since been on three "epic" rides and have had no problems whatsoever. i either just lucked out, or over 50 miles of riding hasn't yet made them explode. they are an older style, but i must have gotten a good set. i would race on these, despite what has been written below.

Similar Products Used: shimano stx, lx, xt, saint, atom lab, CODA crap, dt swiss...
Stephen   Racer [May 28, 2000]
Strength:

light
cheap
nice looking

need better bearings

I haven't had any trouble with the rear hub, but both bearings went bad in the front after less than 50 miles. (No, I never dunked them or hit them with high pressure water.) Had my local shop replace them with a better quality sealed bearing. These seem to be working well.

Similar Products Used: shimano, hugi
Mike   Cross Country Rider [Jan 15, 2000]
Strength:

Easy to service, sealed bearings, outstanding workmanship, excellent support from Hadley Racing.

None in new the version. One of the bearings in my older generation rear hub froze completely.

I got 2 'take off' wheelsets from GT LTS1's. One rear hub froze after 200 miles. I talked to Hadley Racing, and they sent me new freehub 'guts'. The wheel with the new guts works perfectly.

Most of these reviews complaint about the older generation hub. Make no mistake, I'm impressed about the performance and quality of workmanship of the new generation hub. It beats XTR by far.

Five chilis for the new version!!

Similar Products Used: World Class, Shimano XTR and XT
Tsunami   [Jan 16, 2000]
Strength:

Price (only $100 for the pair)
CNC Quality
Looks Cool
Easily Serviceable
Light, 168 grams lighter than XTR

Does not come with quick releases

I saw these for $169 (GT CNC hubs, DT 14g spokes, Mavic 217 gold) at wheel world. I did not buy them at first because of all the bad reviews. Then I talked to a local GT rep and he informed me that the older generation 3 paw design was the one that was seizing. The newer 4 paw design does not have this problem. He said if anything goes wrong within a year, that he would replace them. This hub has seen about 200 miles between me and all the friends i let ride my spare bike. So far so good. rolls real smooth, freewheel sounds nice, light, easy to service, looks cool. Best of all for only 170 bucks i got me a quality wheelset that's lighter than XTR.

Similar Products Used: XT, XTR
Andreas Hägglund   cross-country rider [May 23, 1998]

I got my GT Zaskar and after a few weeks i wasn't able to freewhell any more but i got a new one and the same thing happen to tjhis one.....
I would like to say is just ain't worth sitting on a Zaskar...
I dont think even it's worth one chili after all

Dylan Menes   cross-country rider [Jan 23, 1997]

Initially I found the loud clicking sound of the cassette body quite cool. This was until it would seize and quit freewheeling, particularly during a race!I found that monthly removal of the cassette body, which is quite easy, and packing the pawl area with Phil Wood grease would alleviate the seizing. Unfortunaly I had to use so much grease in the pawl chamber the hub would have
severe drag, the other alternative is to grease the hub daily or weekly!

Rick   racer [Dec 30, 1996]

An update on my 12-23 review. I have since pulled the rear hub apart. (It's one of the easiest to do so that I've seen). I found all of the pawls very stiff and a couple frozen. After 7 hours of riding !!! I cleaned the cassette unit (w/ pawls attached) and the receiver with W-D 40 to loosen everything up. I completely dried the entire assembly, applied a thin film of Phil's waterproof grease and re-assembled. I have 2 hours in some fairly nasty conditions on the hub since the rebuild. I hope it will continue to work. I will have to give the hubs credit for ease of disassembly. It looks as if these will require more than what I feel to be routine maintenance. I will not be racing on these hubs as I have no confidence in them.

michele   Cross Country Rider [Apr 05, 2001]
Strength:

Good looking, lightweight, sealed and replaceable bearings, extremely simple to disassemble, and most importantly, they've been trouble free up to now.

None so far.

I got these hubs because they were cheap and I liked the idea of having a spare set of wheels. Ever since they were laced mid-June '00 I've been using them and after about 1500 km. all offroad, I haven't had any problems at all. After reading the reports here I was a bit worried, but then I took the rear hub apart, noticed it was the 3-pawl type, lubed it with a silicone based very light grease and have kept riding without any inconvenience.
I'd like to receive Hadley Racing's e-mail address if anyone knows it, or their website URL, just in case I do need to get help from them.
Considering how much I paid them, I have no reason for not giving 5+5 flaming chilis to these hubs, and recommend them to anyone who can still get hold of a pair. Just make sure you take apart the rear one and clean and re-lube it before using it. In this way you get to understand how it works and eventually see if there's anything wrong before you start using it.

Similar Products Used: Shimano LX, XT, XTR
Ed   Cross Country Rider [Mar 15, 2003]
Strength:

Cheap Price

FAILED W/IN 3 MONTHS, Poor engagement

I bought this hub and had it laced to the Mavic rim. All parts were new, out of the box. The engagement mechanism (pawls) started skipping after 3 months. I brought it back to Cambria in Redondo Beach, Ca (b4 they closed up shop) and had them repair it. The manager, after about one month, finally said "Hadley" had sent them the parts to fix it. Well, after about another 9 months, smae problem. The spring that holds the mechanism together deforms enough to let the pawls disengage. Don't get this product. It's a headache!

Joe   Weekend Warrior [Nov 25, 2000]
Strength:

Lightweight; Good performance for the price

Freehub assembly starts slipping after a couple of years of use.

These hubs work just fine; especially when considering the price. The problem is that after using it for 1-2 years the freehub assembly started slipping. When I called GT trying to get replacement parts, they weren't particularly helpful. However, I did find found out from them that Hadley Racing Components made their hubs for them that year. That was a fortunate turn of luck because it turns out that Hadley Racing is one of the best customer service oriented companies I have run into in the mountain bike industry. When I called them they told me that they had redesigned the freehub assembly from a 4 pawl design to a 3 pawl design to eliminate the failures that some people were having. They sent me a new updated assembly which I've been using for a year now without any sign of failure. I think that their standard hub designs that they sell under their name are probably fairly heavy duty since you see them mostly on custom tandum bikes. At any rate if you get a chance to do business with Hadley Racing you will probably come away very satisfied. They could have just said "sorry it's out of warranty" like 95% the larger manufacturers would have done but they didn't. I give 3 stars to GT for low cost hubs and 5+++++ stars to Hadley Racing for their good service and for their high quality updated design.