Formula Basic Front & rear Hubs Hub

Basic Front & rear Hubs

Formula Basic Front & rear Hubs

Rob   [Aug 07, 2014]
Strength:

...uh...only positive I can think of is that is had nice shiny black paint when new.

Poor quality. Lasted > 6 months before grinding started.

crap.

me   [Jun 04, 2014]
Strength:

Came with bike

These hubs feel as fast as my Dt swiss hubs without all the crazy spoke types as my Dt Swiss hubs.

Bryan McFarland   [Nov 24, 2013]
Strength:

Operates well for 3 months.

The freehub lasts about as long as a toothbrush.

The freehub had play in it right out of the box and it became worse with wear. Now the bearings are pretty much shot. I do a ton of technical riding in New England, so it takes a beating, but no other hub I've used had lasted such a short time.

dan s   [Aug 10, 2012]
Strength:

Front formual hub seem good,no complains.

Rear formula12mm maxle hub seized up twice in a 6 wks period.Bike is coming up 1 yr old.

The formula 12mm maxle rear hub in my opinion is crap.It is on a full suspension mountain bike.I have lost faith in this rear hub.Going to switch to something more reiable..

lebikerboy   Weekend Warrior [Nov 27, 2011]
Strength:

20mm front hub rolls well and is sealed well too.

Could be lighter?

This review is for the front 20mm cartridge bearing hub
only. It's been so reliable I haven't built a wheel on the Hope Pro II front hub I bought when I bought the rear...

Similar Products Used: Lots...
Mtn-Rider   Cross Country Rider [Oct 26, 2010]
Strength:

Nice-looking finish, look shiny

Rear freehub didn't last very long

I was really happy with these hubs after putting over 1000 miles on them in 3 months, about half of that on various trails. The bike was used so the hubs had more miles on them total. Last weekend the freehub finally blew and left me on a slow ride back to the trailhead. Upon taking the freehub appart, the teeth looked worn which caused the skipping I was getting when powering. Build quality is obviously not a strength, the metal used in the freehub seems too soft. These hubs are clearly meant for entry-level bikes for city dwellers, not for any hard riding on the trails. They were good while they lasted.

Similar Products Used: Other low-end hubs
jm   Weekend Warrior [Sep 30, 2010]
Strength:

none I can see.

Brand new and 1 mm play !

rear DC38 formula hub on giant reign 2 2010...

The specs are good.... BUT

The freewheel has 1mm play after 5 1 hour sessions !

I tried to dismantle the crap. The freewheel must be rebolt exactly in the cranks it was before else you get a wobly distorded hub and freewhel. The meaning of this uis that the surfaces odf the hub and freewheels are NOT exctely parallel. => POOR machining.

1 mm play from factory => poor QC.

BOTTOM line : I have hubs on crap bikes that have less play after years riding.

Avoid at any cost. Avoid bikes that come with them, or be prepared to change/rewire rear wheel.

Similar Products Used: Xt hubs, low price hubs, all better than this !
RURC   Weekend Warrior [Jun 25, 2010]
Strength:

I have been rolling on them for more than 3 years. I really think it has been about 6 or 7. Not ONE SINGLE PROBLEM. Came on the Veluta disc rims I bought new off ebay

Not the sexiest hub on the planet.

They just have worked with no errors for many many years. With over 900 miles on them the rear bearings in the cassette just started to make a slight noise 2 days ago. Not any complaints at all.

Similar Products Used: DT Swiss, Profile, Idn 9, and Joy Tec (junk)
ATBScott   Cross Country Rider [Dec 05, 2009]
Strength:

Roll, trouble-free, absolutely quiet freehub

Probably not that lightweight, not too many engagement points in freehub

I can't believe the hate for these hubs. Mine have been faultless for 3 years of riding now. I compare the silence of the freehub mechanism to the other "high end" hubs I have been shopping as I want to build some nice wheels. The quiet is part of my attraction to SS. I weighed around 200+ lbs when I bought this bike, and now about 180 or so. There was another 35 lbs worth of stuff on the axles when I did the Telluride - Moab Hut trip 2 years ago. I ride everything I can on this, and even in muddy, crappy conditions, dry and dusty, there has been no issue with these hubs. On the SS version, nice widely-spaced flanges too. From Northern CA rides at Annadel, Boggs, Henry Coe, etc... to a few 3-day sessions in Arizona's Rocks and sand, rides in Fruita, Moab and around SLC and Park City area, I wish all my components were as "ride and forget" as these hubs have been. I'll trade fancy 30-point-engagement for these 12-point hubs if they stay as quiet and invisible as they've been. I may even build some nicer rims onto these hubs! 4 Chili's on overall only because of the weight and engagement not being the best.