DT Swiss Hugi Tandem Hub

DT Swiss has drawn upon 10 years of designing and manufacturing hubs with the new Hugi TD tandem hub. The Hugi TD has been purposely developed to withstand the heavy loads and stress of tandem riding. The Hugi TD is available in standard, 6-bolt disc and ARAI brake configurations and is easily serviceable through the DT Swiss worldwide dealer network. It is 100% produced and hand built in Switzerland.

Petersen   Cross Country Rider [Apr 14, 2009]
Strength:

I have a road and a mountain tandem. I have these hubs on both bikes, with 10 years of riding on each, approx 5k on the road and 8k on the mountain. NO PROBLEMS AT ALL, ZERO issues.

NONE

I would purchase these hubs in a heartbeat.

Mark   [Jul 26, 2004]
Strength:

None.

The hub failed with under 1k miles on it. The bearings went out on the rear hub while climbing Teton pass, then the pawls went from too much stress. Note that we're a 'light' tandem team at 300 pounds for both of us.

A hub that fails after such short use doesn't deserve a good rating. Wait a few years for the issues to be corrected and look at them again.

Similar Products Used: Old DT hubs circa '91.
Gene Zigler   Cross Country Rider [Jan 07, 2008]
Strength:

Hmmm. Don't know of ONE. Looks nice?

Axel snapped in half (DT Swiss TD rear hub).

Our story? My wife and I have been riding tandem for a bit more than 10 years now. We purchased a 2006 Cannondale Mountain Tandem in late 2005. We love EVERYTHING about our Cannondale except the DT Swiss Hugi rear Tandem hub. At 3500 miles the axle going through the rear hub body snapped in half causing such severe coasting resistance on the cassette that the chain would ball up in front of the gears if we stopped pedaling (picture HAVING to pedal WHILE braking just to keep the chain from wrapping itself around the cassette!). BTW, combined, we weigh about 310 pounds. After over a month of messin' around DT Swiss finally warrantied the hub and sent us a "new" (New? I don't think so!) hub that rolls out so poorly it feels like we are dragging an anchor. We are gearing up for a Trans-Am ride on our tandem, but we will definitley NOT be riding on a Hugi rear tandem hub!