DT Swiss Hugi 240 Hub

• High quality forged alloy hub shell
  • Quad bearing system
  • Excellent labyrinth sealing
  • Corrosion resistant stainless ball bearings

dolf   Weekend Warrior [Sep 18, 2011]
Strength:

it is light, solf, reliable.

no so far

i'm only 65 kg but i ride hard. the wheel stay true. i ride something like 100 km every weak, most of then out off road, all mountain.

Similar Products Used: shimano lx
Kadkhoda   Weekend Warrior [Jan 20, 2011]
Strength:

Durability and comfort.
I have had two DT Hugi on two tandems both mountain bikes since 1996 and they work very well. It is specially made for tandem with 40 spoke holes.

DT Hugi (Swiss Made) at the time published its engineering drawings of this freewheel. Knowing how Shimano failed convinced me that this unit will not fail under the tandem load going uphill. Fifteen years and several thousand miles later it seems the decision was correct.

Similar Products Used: Shimano; which broke twice before I had to look into a better freewheel.
David Ly   Weekend Warrior [Apr 02, 2006]
Strength:

Light, strong and reliable. The distinctive noise from the Rear hub.

none...

These are one of the best wheelset I own. These wheels are sweet. Super high quality, way bombproof not to mention lightweight. Buoght this as a replacement for my original Hugi. I still have them on my hardtail. This is the absolute best hub that money can buy. After the initial break in period, they run smooth and true. Hope this is the last hubset that I will have to buy!!

Similar Products Used: Chris King, Cane Creek WAM Team, DT Hugi
jeff   Racer [Dec 21, 2003]
Strength:

Strong, reliable, easily serviced

no weakness in these hubs

A robust hubset. Many thousands of miles in grit, sand, mud conditions - Zero failures. Maitenance is intuitive & easy. These hubs have outlasted 3 frames. A very fine product.

Similar Products Used: various shimano, spinergy
jason beastmaster   Cross Country Rider [Nov 19, 2003]
Strength:

Best bearings, sturdy flanges, stiff as hell, positive engagement, and light, reliable. I don?t know about you guys but this is the Holy Grail.

None, or maybe that DT can't educate all their users to the purpose that the hubs were built to serve.

My other DH free ride rig has sun single wides on big'un hubs, so I know what a strong wheel is all about and how it feels on the trail. These DT hubs rock!!!!!!! At 1/8 the weight and only a 20% decrease in stiffness I don?t see the negative. I do a lot of riding and these have been daily performers for over a year.

Similar Products Used: chris king, XTR, hope.....

David   Weekend Warrior [Mar 25, 2007]
Strength:

Light and Reliable

After another year of regular usage, this wheelset is as smooth as the day I bought it. The wheelset is still true. Thinking after more than 3 years of usage, the hubset might need to be regreased or even rebuild. Took it to Sun Bike Shop for a checkup. They said the wheelset is working perfectly. When they open the hubs, they only regreased them because everything else is functioning perfectly. The owner (Sun) tells me to come back in a year and they will recheck it.
My wheelset was built with 32 Rear and 28 Front on Bontrager Valiant rims. Front weigh 630 grams, Rear weigh 830 grams.

Similar Products Used: Chris King, Cane Creek WAM Team, DT Hugi
Oswald   Cross Country Rider [Mar 10, 2007]
Strength:

Light, dependable, durable

Expensive, pre 98 models had some issues...

My first set came with my 2001 GT Team bike. Never had any problems with it. After 3 years of hard use, I replaced the bearings with ceramic ones, put on a new body and relaced them with X717 rims. I now use them for muddy races or for really bad courses.
Since then I've bought a second set and I currently have a third one on order. These can be bought dirt cheap now, with the new 240s being out.
Needless to say, I recommend them...

Uncle Mulga   [Sep 23, 2000]

Rear hub is rubbish

Sorry Matt (below), I received version 2 of the Hugi 240 rear hub and it lasted a whole 7 kilometres of on-road riding (on my way home from the bike shop) before the freewheel died just like the first one. No-one knows how to fix it. These hubs have serious design and/or manufacturing flaws, making them totally unreliable and therefore useless. There are plenty of other manufacturers out there, so don't bother with this junk. To those who have had no problems: good luck in the future!

Similar Products Used: Mavic, Shimano
Matt   Cross Country Rider [Sep 20, 2000]
Strength:

light, comes in black, not noisy

light comes at a price, first generation had problems

I took the above-mentioned wheelset with me for a week of forest biking in Southwestern Oregon. The name of the game was roots. Big roots. Plus lots of big rocks. Everything held up great. The only problem--and it was small one--was that one day I picked the wrong line and rolled into a 3-foot deep pit that stopped me dead. The impact loosened the front hub a little, but it's nothing any mildly competent mechanic can't fix.
One point about these hubs blowing up. DT/Hugi made two versions of their '00 240 hubset. The first version, which everyone who has complained seems to be reviewing, had structural problems with the pawls. They fixed it and issued a second version, which I have, and it works great. The way you can tell the difference is that when you spin the wheel, the original, not-so-good hub will make a loud clicking sound, kinda like a Chris King. The second generation, on the other hand, makes a quieter whirring sound.
If you have the first version, I suggest you contact DT/Hugi's warranty department and talk to them about a replacement; I love my hubs.

Similar Products Used: '95 AC hubs, '94 and '96 Parallax (STX), '99 Bontrager Race
kiernan   Cross Country Rider [Apr 28, 2001]
Strength:

very rugged. i weigh in at 185 lbs, and chewed up four shimano freewheels before buying the hugi

MAJOR issues with the pawls failing to hook up. kind of expensive.

after breaking four shimano freewheels, lbs suggested the hugi as being literally bullet-proof. great hub for a little while, but had recurring issue where the pawls didn't hook up. tried less grease, more grease, light grease etc. etc. etc. finally talked to the lbs, they offered to replace the hub with another make at their expense. it seemed unfair to make them front for a defective product, so i called hugi. they had me return to the hub to them. they replaced everything except the outerbody, including the splined freewheel hub which i was chewing up with the cogset.

have had no problems with the hub since then. i can recommend this hub, but if you have problems, call hugi right away, rather than messing around trying to get it to work right.

finally, the distinctive sound is a low key way to let other riders know you're coming.