DT Swiss Hugi 240 Disc Hub

• Forged aluminum shell
  • Stainless-steel cartridge bearings
  • 15mm aluminum internal axle

jarre74   Cross Country Rider [Aug 29, 2010]
Strength:

Light(?). The fronthub is still working.

Bearings and freewheels damaged after first summer rides. Rearhub shell cracked after 4000 miles. This rearhub has been my worst purchase ever, which I will regret a long time. Easy to service, yeah right... you will have to buy stupidly expensive toolset if you need to change the bearings. No customer support from DT Swiss.

Poorly engineered product, never should buy overpriced crap. No support from DT Swiss.

Similar Products Used: Shimano hubs from deore to XTR, none of Shimano hub shell´s haven´t ever cracked.
Chris LaVoy   Weekend Warrior [Sep 19, 2005]
Strength:

Modest weight.

Poorly engineered.

Cracked the rear hub from the drive-side flange to the center of the hub while climbing up hill. Judging from comments on this site and stories from other mountain biking buddies, this is a recurring problem for the Hugi 240. There are too many other reliable high quality hubs in this price range to justify purchasing this product.

Similar Products Used: Chris King
Kam   Cross Country Rider [Feb 11, 2003]
Strength:

Light
Smooth
Reliable
Easy to service
Great performance with respect to price
Great customer service from DT Swiss USA & Dave Agapito

None that I can think of right now.

I actually have a set of Hayes Superlite hubs. These hubs are re-badged Hugi 240 disc hubs (pricepoint.com recently had 'em on sale for $150 for a front and rear set!!!). These hubs have been great thus far, I have been hammering these for 5 months now. i had my set built by Larry Mettler at Mtn High Cylery for about $340 laced with DB DT spokes and brass nipples...awesome builds quality and price!
There are 2 versions of the Hugi 240 hubs. The earlier version had only 1 spring in the ratchet mech., the newer ones have 2 springs, one on each side of the ratchets. The 2 spring version is much more reliable...but the 1 spring version came be updated to 2 springs...like Mike T. stated below. You just gotta loose one of the spacers and replace it with a spring.

I am amazed by how easy it is to clean and relube the internals. Just yank of the cassette and the hub body comes along with it. Use a rag to clean up everything, and relube. Slide the cassette/body back on and you're done!!! I recently used Eglunds Slick Honey to re-lube my hubs and they have been dead quiet for a couple of rides, try it out!!!

I really wanted a set of high end disc hubs and was about to spring for a set of King ISO/VXCs, but then I found this deal, man...am I glad I went this way. If you're a XC rider looking for a set of light disc hubs, look no futher!

Similar Products Used: XT disc=heavy!
XTR=smooth,reliable but not as light.
Trl Lvr   [Oct 16, 2002]
Strength:

Extremely Light. Great reputation. High Quality.

I want to get the word out that these hubs are QUIET!

When looking for hubs for my new Turner, I wanted high quality and dependability, but I really was tired of my loud Chris Kings. I know a lot of King purests will say so what, but I am not alone.

The problem was, many of the "works" hubs had great reputations for reliability, but the word on the street is they are all obnoxious. Different, but obnoxious.

But the bike shop I went with said to try the Hugi's. They said they are lighter than the Kings (cool), are extremely reliable, and that the 2002 version is quieter than the older ones.

Well, they are quieter than my wife's XTR hubs! I'm talking night and day difference from my Kings.

And I have to say, riding a silent bike makes it feel expensive and high quality.

I also test rode DT Hugis for freeride bikes. They were quiet too.

Similar Products Used: Chris King
Coffee Pot   Cross Country Rider [Jan 29, 2002]
Strength:

Light, smooth what else is there?

Expensive

I've got about 1000 miles on these hubs and the front has been flawless. The rear hub required bearings after 100 miles and was completely replaced under warranty. Now the free hub sticks and it takes me a while to 'free' it up before I can ride. Once it's going it behaves okay. And the bearings feel like gravel again so it's being sent back AGAIN. Not what I'd expect for the money!

Similar Products Used: n/a
Julian Fox   Racer [Oct 06, 2003]
Strength:

Light weight, the sound turns heads

They may be the lightest, but they are definitely not the most durable... 1 year of racing and the rear hub is worthless

I bought these hubs second hand in excellent condition... therefore no warranty... after a year of riding and racing and regular servicing the rear was destroyed... Hugi specialists said it was the worst they had ever seen and quoted $300 Aus for a reco... have moved to a more durable Hope hub. I wouldn't recommend these hubs if you want durability

Similar Products Used: Just purchased some Hope XC Hubs... I hope they are more durable than the Hugis
Ken DeMarce   Weekend Warrior [Oct 12, 2002]
Strength:

Super light weight, easily cleaned and lubed without tools. DT Swiss warranty service is outstanding.

Earlier generation could have used a better quality bearing. Hugi needs to offer more colors to compete with King.

I originally owned a first generation set of 28 sp non disc 240's. One of the bearings in the rear cassette went bad and DT Swiss replaced it under warranty with no questions or hassles in about 3 days! In fact, they replaced 2 of the 3 rear bearings, the cassette body and installed later generation springs, all without being asked. Now that is first rate warranty service.

As regards my 240 discs, I have used these for two years now on 3 different frames with absolutely NO problems. I clean and lube the rear hub assy. about twice a season using nothing more than a rag and some Pedro's Synlube.

The bottom line is that these puppies are lighter and less expensive than Kings with the only downside being you have to occassionally clean and lube the rear hub.

If you really want to save some bucks, you can buy Hayes Super Light Disc hubs for as little as $149.00 set. The only caveat is that they have a 1yr warranty versus the Hugi branded hubs at 3yrs. Also, any warranty issues would go through Hayes rather than directly to DT Swiss.

Similar Products Used: Rolf Dolomite Discs
Sea Kay   Cross Country Rider [Aug 13, 2006]
Strength:

Well, the axle didn't break.

uh.... yeah. the material they used to make this hub is inferior.

just like some other reviews, I was climbing up a hill, not a mtn, and the hub literally exploded apart on the drive side. Incredibly disappointed.

This product is simply a piece of crap.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT circa 1990 which lasted for ages until disc brakes come out. Ahh, technology.
George   Cross Country Rider [Dec 23, 2001]
Strength:

Very light, very smooth, extremely quiet, excellent quality, dealer network, dependable, hubs make for a strong wheel. on par with Kings.

None that I have found.

I'm very impressed with these hubs. They're very light, smooth, and easy to lube. Hopefully they with last like my Kings.