DT Swiss 340 Disc Front Hub Hub

DT Swiss 340 Disc Front Hub Hub

The 340 disc is the right choice for all light frame freaks who like things extremely light and refined. A clever design and super-light, high quality components make it an extremely stabile disc brake hub. 100% Swiss made, patent pending.

[Apr 13, 2010]
Foolish

Strength:

It has a 20mm hole in the middle of it that allows me to run a pike fork

Once you remove the 20mm axle, the center portion of the axle insert falls out of alignment, thereby making it very difficult to put the wheel back on. What is the purpose of this center barrel if it has no support to keep it in place???

I noticed above that "sizzo" had the same problem I do. I have noted what DT Swiss said acknowledging the problem and their response is absolute chicken sh!t.

Chris King Disc Hub 20mm Hope Pro II 15mm and neither of them has this ridiculous problem.

[Jul 06, 2009]
sizzo

Strength:

Smooth, solid, really slick (w/o the rotor they'll turn forever, w/ the rotor I can never get my avids entirely drage free but that's not the hub's fault)

The floating center barrel in the 20mm hub is a royal pain in the A**. when you remove your thru-axle it falls out of alignment just enough that you can't get the axle back through w/o reaching a pinkie in through the dropout and fiddling with it for 5 minutes until you get it just right so you can insert the axle through the other. Once the axle is in it's flawless, but if you have to take that b*tch off the bike, it's a pain to get back on. (solution: buy a frame mount rack and stop using the Fork-Up converter; now I don't even notice it. Plus i've become more skilled in manuvering the barrel)

This review is for the 20mm thru-axle version.

This is the first high-end hubset i've had the pleasure of dealing with, and frankly i'm super impressed minus the small design flaw. Actually shot DT swiss an email because I thought I had gotten a broken hub, got a super quick and friendly response that was basically, "your hub is perfectly alright, we designed it well before a "QR 20mm" existed and weren't really expecting anyone to take their wheel off routinely...but it works great once you get it on right?", to which I had to concede that yes, yes it does work great once I get it on the bike.

4 chilis for the price it brings new, kinds steep but probably worth it (i'm looking at getting another set)

4 chilis overall for being a super awesome hub, but not perfect.

plenty of Shimano QR hubs, cheapy Dimension 20mm

[Aug 26, 2008]
PB Matrix

Strength:

Well designed and durable hub

the paint chips easily

DT Swiss has really done a great job in designing hubs. They are easy to work on and are durable. Not sure what the problem with the guy above was, but I suspect there is some sort of user error involved. The design of the axel should not allow play.

XT, Formula, Shimano

[Jul 21, 2007]
Xav M

Strength:

light, but I'd prefer durability instead

this hub has developed play after only 100km of riding, which results in disc rub in the turns and an ear-splitting braking noise

My LBS refused to take any action to solve the problem, because according to him there is none (whereas I'm not he only one noticing it). I'll have to deal with the DT distributor directly. Quite pissed off, thank you.

lots of hubs, most of them long time dead now