Chris King ISO Disc Rear Hub

Chris King ISO Disc Rear Hub

Build up the perfect wheel with the Chris King ISO Disc Rear hub. This particular hub comes outfitted with a 142 x 12mm axle to reduce lateral twisting of the wheels and keep you tracking straight. The oversized hub flanges allow you to use shorter spokes, for less flex and a stronger wheel, overall.

[Mar 24, 2015]
kliemann53
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

fast engagement, easy service, smooth long lasting bearings(13 years), looks good

misinformation about the "special tools"

YOU DON'T NEED A SPECIAL TOOL SET TO SERVICE CHRIS KING HUBS. You might need the cone adjusting tool if you have the older axels ($30) but you don't need the $180 set. I paid $220 for the tool set 12 years ago and I've never needed it. I've used it a few times because I wanted to but the hub didn't need it.
These hubs have been on three wheelsets and five bikes in 13 years, and feel like new.

[Mar 08, 2015]
Robert

Strength:

Ring Drive Engagement System
Stainless Steel Bearings
User Serviceable

I purchased my Chris King ISO rear hub in February of 2009 and have ridden it over 17,500 miles exclusively during winter seasons prior to this review. The hub is nothing short of outstanding. I have fully serviced the hub at least 8 times and it still has all of the original parts with the exception of an upgraded stainless steel drive shell that I installed in 2015.

Ring Drive Engagement System and Serviceability

The Ring Drive Engagement System and user Serviceability were the primary reasons I purchased this hub. I ride primarily in temperatures below freezing and there is no doubt in my mind that this drive system will engage in very low temperatures. The lowest temperatures I have ridden include two hour rides in 5 degrees Fahrenheit excluding wind chill. The hub always engaged.

Prior to purchasing the Chris King hub I was using the stock hub that came with my Mountain bike which was a Deore M525. The freehub in the Deore did not engage on more than one ride in temperatures below 25 degrees F. So, I purchased the special Shimano tool and took the freehub apart, cleaned it, and installed low temperature grease. In doing so I learned how tiny and insignificant the pawls and spring are that drive the Deore Hub. Upon reassembly of that Deore hub I purchased the Chris King and have been riding it ever since.

Compared to other Hubs

When searching for the best hub drive system on the marketing in 2009 I considered several competitors including DTSwiss, Hope, Shimano, and Industry Nine. All of these competitive hubs had one weakness in common. Each of them relies on springs to engage the hub. The Chris King Hub does not rely on springs to drive the hub. It relies on gears. In the Chris King hub the Drive Gear is actively pulled to engage the Driven Gear by the Splines on the Drive Shell. The gear driven engagement is the major advantage of the Chris King hub. In addition, the Chris King hub has 72 engagement teeth on the Driven and Drive Rings which means that it also engages faster than the competitive hubs which is a nice bonus.

Stainless Steel Bearings

The stainless steel bearings in my Chris King hub have seen over 17,500 miles of hard core winter use in snow, slush, wet, and salted roads. They are still the original bearings, spin fast, and work exceptionally well. I attribute the longevity of these bearings to the type of stainless steel Chris King uses in both the bearings and races.

Servicing the hub

When I purchased this hub I also purchased the servicing tool because I knew that I was going to put this hub through some of the most adverse condition imaginable for bicycle parts - winter riding. Servicing the hub is easy and a straight forward process. Essentially all you are doing is pushing and pressing the bearings into and out of the drive shell and hub shell. If you get stuck the directions that come with the hub tool are simple and clear and Chris King even has videos on youtube on how to service the hub.

Given that I ride in below freezing conditions I found a bearing lube that works well for my purposes. It is called Finishline Extreme Fluoro grease, has a NLGI rating of 0, works down to 60 degrees below 0 Fahrenheit, and is widely available. I used to used a cocktail mixture of Lubriplate Mag-1 and Triflow prior to Extreme Fluoro entering the market. The reason I had to cut Lubriplate Mag-1 with Triflow is that Mag-1 has a more viscous NLGI rating of 1.

For lubricating the Ring Drive Engagement System and Drive Shell Spline I use TriFlow oil which works down to 60 degrees below 0 Fahrenheit.

Impressed a Bicycle Mechanic

Yesterday (March 2015), I took my bicycle into a bike shop to have them examine the bottom bracket of my frame. The Bicycle mechanic in the shop spun the crank for whatever reason. The back wheel and hub kept spinning and spinning, and spinning so long that he was amazed. The rear wheel spun so long and so fast that he needed to grab the rear disc brake to stop it.

Overall

I highly recommend this hub primarily for the Ring Drive Engagement System and User Serviceability. I was so impressed with the Chris King hub performance that a few weeks ago I purchased the Chris King Bottom Bracket for my Bicycle. More on my hub review with pictures can be seen on my website Icecyclist.com.

Shimano Deore M525 hub, ultegra hubs, Dura Ace hubs

[Sep 20, 2012]
jonshonda

Strength:

Best hub out there. Looks great and handles diesel power

Needs a spendy tool for a total overhaul (if ever needed)

I am a clyde who has had wheel/hub issues in the past. I decided after two sets of hubs/wheels that enough was enough.....CK needed to come to my rescue.

So I ordered the ISO 36hole rear hub with Stainless Steel Freehub body (bulletproof FH body for a bigger guy) in red. WOW, great looking hub with every sign of great quality. I only have a couple hundred miles on the hub, but I am loving the instant engagement, and no worry power application.

I don't think its loud at all, in fact I don't even notice it when costing. Angy bees sound more like mildly agitated bees to me!!

[Sep 09, 2012]
Troy Fretwell

Strength:

easy to rebuild, light weight, strong, instant engagement

loud (if you let it get dirty). Can fail in really cold weather

I love these hubs, but like any high performance component... they can be temper-mental.
If you are going to buy these, you probably expect them to last a long time, and they do. With this in mind, you might as well go ahead and splurge for the toolset required to rebuild them. You do not want to trust this kind of thing to the kid down at the bike shop doing on the job training. It is really slick and easy to rebuild these with the tool... kinda fun even.

One other thing... use lighter oil if you plan on riding in really cold winter temperatures, and make sure they are clean. Cold temps/sludge can foul up the tight tolerances inside and cause failure.

[Aug 01, 2012]
sandmangts

Strength:

Great looks and nice colors, fast engagement, durable finish.

Aluminum freehub body tends to get grooves from some cassettes, Not a big deal but could become a problem over time.

I have owned the same King hubset for 6 years. They have required very little service and have proven to be very durable. Over time they break in nicely and become smoother with less drag. The ring drive system does make a noticable difference when climbing over rocks. The quick engagement really does help. They are expensive but considering how long they have lasted and how many maintenance free miles I would say they are a bargain.

Hope, Shimano

[Jun 13, 2012]
mtbzarg

Strength:

Comes in various colors, instant engagement, and very user friendly - easy to adjust/service.

They do seem to take some time to break-in. Not cheap either, but hey nothing that is dependable and worth while is :) Why doesn't Chris King make skewers?

I purchased a custom built wheelset about a year ago. I am running Chris King hubs (front and rear) laced to Mavic 819 rims and DT Swiss spokes. I was really impressed right away. I really like the instant engagement of the rear ISO hub. Much better than my stock wheelset that came on my 06' Epic Comp. After several rides (about 75 miles) I did notice some play in the hubs. This is normal as the bearings settle in. The nice thing about these hubs is that they are easy to service yourself (especially if you are used to working on your own bikes). After making the adjustments I haven't had an issue since. Oh yeah, they sound cool too!

[Apr 29, 2012]
Zach Seely

Strength:

Instant engagement. Lots of color choices. Great sound. Easily Adjustable.

Break in period is a bit long. But its so easy to adjust them this wasnt really a big deal.Price..but quality usually comes at a price

Got these hubs for a no expense spared build and am very happy that I went CK. The engagement is unreal. I was a bit worried at first after my wheels developed a slight side to side wobble after the first couple rides. But, was reassured after visiting CKs website and I guess this is normal during the initial break in period. Literally took me 1 allen wrench and about 30 seconds to adjust them and get rid of the wobble. Super easy idiot proof design. And its something that can be done on the trail without really needing to remove the wheel. Overall am extremely satisfied with these hubs. They look and sound great and perform above and beyond my expectations.

[Feb 14, 2012]
rlock
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Fast engagement

Require frequent maintenance, excessive drag, poorly sealed, difficult to clean the internals, expensive tool required for rebuild, special lube required on ringdrive.

I am generally a fan of Chris King components and thought these hubs would be pretty much the best of the best, but I have to say that after one season of use I am quite disappointed. The hub develops play in the main bearing and for that reason the preload has to be re-adjusted after every second ride. The bearing drag is much higher than with any other hub I've used, even after months of use. The internal ringdrive mechanism seem to get dirty rather quickly and is difficult to clean (note: if the hub stops making that buzzing sound while freewheeling, it means the ringdrive is loaded with dirt and needs cleaning!). I've contacted Chris King tech support regarding the bearing play and they suggested a few things to check but so far have been unable to solve the problem.

Shimano LX, XT, DT Swiss

[Aug 10, 2011]
YO

Strength:

solid construction, color possibility, seal tight

seal to tight, drag a lot, + to munch mécanical drag, over rated, lots of hub's are better.The color go away in less then 2 years.

If,.....IF you like to run them with oil= lot of maintenance, they are ok for gravity trail, going downhill, for trail and cross-country, used faster wheels like DT-SWISS, HOPE,WHITE industries, SHIMANO XTR,XT. USED your money somewhere else will be a better spend...........
Service, what service...........CK......Talk a lot but don't really deliver........
When you have a problem...it is your problem, they don't care.

HOPE,DT SWISS, XTR,

[Mar 31, 2011]
Bring Back Buck

Strength:

Light, build strong wheel. Super quick engagement. Fun bolts and replacement axle upgrade well worth it.

High maintainence. Costly for something which comes loose as soon as you get it and then never really tightens properly. After much frustration, I ended up buying the fun bolt axle & fun bolts - much better. Stiffened up back end of bike too. Cassette carrier gouges too much too easily in my view.

Good product, just high maintainence. Hubs has stopped free wheeling after 6 years. Am trying to work out if I should buy the maintainence kit & have hub to a Stans flow rim, or sell the wheelset and buy a hadley wheelset. Might just get local bikeshop to service and see how that goes. Hub has also developed a bit play.

Haven't touched the front hub since I owned it, or my CK headset for that matter and they're still sweet as. Just wish that was the same for the rear hub.

Hadley