Chris King Disc Hub

• Price: Front $179; Rear $339
  • Disc Rotor Adapters

• User Reviews (111)

Steve G   Racer [Nov 12, 2012]
    Strength:

They look great.

High maintenance, unreliable, and expensive. The rear hub has a obvious defect with the engagement mechanism.

If you want a lot of bling on your bike for a trip to your local coffee shop then Chris King hubs are for you. If you need a reliable, light weight hub look elsewhere. I am now working on five rebuilds over the last two years and now currently without a rear wheel because of my Chris King rear hub. I bought the CK hubs with the expectations of these hubs lasting a while. Unfortunately I seem to be spending more time listening to my local bikeshop mechanic tell me stories about how he has finally figured out why I'm having so many problems as if he's trying to solve a rubic's cube puzzle. After talking with other friends I realize that my problem is not isolated. It's clear to me that CK is aware of the fact that there is a design flaw with the rear hub and have chosen to do nothing about it as long a there are fools, like me, who want to waste their money on a faulty product! I really wish CK would take ownership of their product, fix it, and service their customers! CK, if you're listening, feel free to contact me.

Similar Products Used: XTR, Hadley...
    Tillers_Rule   Cross Country Rider [Aug 17, 2012]
    Strength:

Look pretty, quick engagement, sound cool

High maintenance

Rear hub is fickle. Inside engagement teeth on aluminum freehub body (inside the hub, not outside where the cassette goes) wore out in less than a year. Having serviceable hubs is cool, but not when they REQUIRE servicing on a monthly basis. Building another wheelset now and I won't be using CK again.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Crossmax
    jelliott   Cross Country Rider [Feb 05, 2012]
    Strength:

Awesome in all aspects. Used pretty hard for over a year raced in multiple races and Shenandoah 100 with no issues and no need for maintenance yet.

none.

Great hub that will last a ling time! Very Expensive

Similar Products Used: Shimano LX, shimano XT, Rolf,
    nubcake   Cross Country Rider [Jan 18, 2012]
    Strength:

Pretty, Durable, Quick Engagement, Easy to rebuild, pretty much everything

I sometimes wish I bought the stainless drive shell so I could use a cheaper cassette

Fantastic hubs. I have seen some of these hubs go 5+ years without being serviced despite lots of muddy races and lots of miles, even though the bearings were rough, all it took was a cleaning and greasing and they felt as good as new. I have never had to replace a part in a king hub but have had to replace a few sets of bearings in various I9 wheels.

Similar Products Used: Shimano (4-5 freehub body failures) Sram x-7, I-9
    Aslan   Cross Country Rider [Nov 11, 2011]
    Strength:

Beautiful, light, strong. Front hub is great. Instant engagement is really nice.

Rear hub requires monthly maintenance. Rear hub loosens up in less than 50 miles of riding. Ring drive had to be replaced after one year, even after adhering to the maintenance cycles.

I get what the man below is saying. I do not have issues with needing to maintain my equipment; however, it is not reasonable to expect a rider to have to tinker with a hub on a monthly basis. It is relaxing to go into the garage and wrench but I should not HAVE TO DO IT. Not on parts this expensive. Rebuild-able and user serviceable should not translate to you must constantly rebuild and service, with new parts and proprietary tools.

My xtr stuff is cheaper, lighter, and as durable and only requires maintenance every two years or so. When I bought this Chris King hub I was thinking it would need the maintenance that their excellent headsets require, which is almost none. In sum, nice parts but the amount of maintenance required to keep the rear hub running and free of play is just not reasonable.

Similar Products Used: xtr, xt, old school nuke proofs
    Biomedikal Gangsta   Cross Country Rider [May 14, 2011]
    Strength:

Rear Ck hub = incredible engagement - most direct transfer of power from foot to rear hub that money can buy

Relatively higher drag (rear). I suppose that a weakness from the perspective of people who are too afraid to pick up a wrench and properly maintain their equipment would be that you have to service these beauties relatively frequently. That's more a problem for them than the hubs, though.

First year on my Chris King rear hub. In a word (or two)? HOLEE FRAK! Chris King rear hubs climb like nothing I've ever experienced before: Foot and wheel move synchronously, and it's a damn beautiful thing. CK sacrifices a bit of drag for a whole lot of grab. These hubs represent one of the best designs in the history of bicycle sports, bottom line.
    Given the clear excellence of CK hubs, it's frustrating to read all of the whiners on this thread. The negative commenters are almost completely composed of naive whiners who obviously invested more money than knowledge in their decision to buy CK hubs.
    CK ownership implies a mutually understood respect between buyer & seller. CK guarantees manufacturing defects on their end, and their machine tolerances are truly amazing. CK makes products that push the limits of performance but are constrained by considerations of durability. They push it a bit more toward the performance side because they rely on their customers to not be idiots (an incredibly rare thing these days). They expect a bit of thought (i.e. READING & UNDERSTANDING THE FU**ING MAINTENANCE GUIDE) on the part of the buyer for the whole thing to work.
    OF COURSE the ignorant whiners on this thread had bad experiences with the CK staff! CK expected more from you than you're used to. CK folks are right to be annoyed with idiotic questions from fools who thought they were dealing with McBike Inc. when they bought their wheels.

Similar Products Used: Mavic, Shimano XTR, Shimano XT
    ltb   Racer [Mar 06, 2011]
    Strength:

good quality finish, strength, user servicability

cost? user servicability

We live in a world of high end bike gear with inbuilt obsolesence top of the list, yearly "product improvements etc" which do nothing but eek more money out of our pockets. Do yourself a favour and get with old school cycle maintenance and still top line ultra lightweight quality, the freehub, finish, fit and quality is superb. My mate just paid $600 for a bike service - $600! get gear like this and you do it yourself with a once in a lifetime tool purchase, read the maunal and get peace of mind that the job is done well and right - by you!

Similar Products Used: XTR, crossmax, american classic, (cheng huar - american classics! same) DT swiss, crank bros cobalts etc
    splice35mm   Cross Country Rider [Feb 25, 2011]
    Strength:

Supposed reputation? Unique sound? Lots of quality time spent wrenching in the garage?

Value and longevity isn't there. Lack of support through Chris King.

The noise and constant maintenance required for Chris King hubs is a bit annoying, but beware... their anodized colors can fade inconsistently. I bought a pair of RED hubs about three years ago, and now the front hub is PINK while the rear remains red. I sent them to Chris King tech-support for service and they couldn't care less. "Our colors aren't covered under warranty. Your internals remain beautiful." Great, thanks. Much like that ugly fat girl with the really good personality? This is a high-end, very expensive set of hubs - I expected them to have decent longevity in both function and appearance. Look for these on eBay soon. Cheap!

taborbov2   Weekend Warrior [Apr 07, 2010]
    Strength:

When the rear hub is actually working, it is stellar performance.The front hub {also King) has given me no trouble whatsoever.

Very poor customer service regarding warranty service. The Chris King customer service is obstinate, recalcitrant, only negative connotations come to mind!

All my other King components (BB,headset, front hub have been fine. Only the rear hub has been problematic. Also, after dealing with their "customer service" department, (a misnomer if ever there was one) I would not purchase any of their product line again. There are simply too many good choices out there, Hadley, Phil Wood, DT Swiss to name a few.To those of you who are still considering a King hub, especially a rear one, well... I wish you the best of luck!!!