Bontrager Hubs Hub

Bontrager Hubs Hub

Bontrager Hubs

[Jul 06, 2003]
Willie Bohner

Strength:

Asthetics

Cheap Bearings, Heavy Hubs

Good for beginners, but they require alot of maintenance and dickin about. I had to adjust the hubs about twice a month. Finally the front one started making strange noises when turning so I junked it. Do not take apart these hubs as the bearings will fall out. I've never seen bearings as cheap as these. Stick with cartridge bearing hubs, you will be much happier. Still the mustang rims are solid and the dbl butted spokes are nice. Overall its a decent package considering the price.

Hugi/Mavics

[Feb 13, 2004]
Vince Underwood

Strength:

Cartridge bearings, tried and true Bonty rims.

I'm not a fan of minimal spoke count....I'd rather see a 32H instead of 28H

I'm impressed with Bontragers quality for the price point of these wheels/Hubs. I'm actually selling them because I'm going back to V-Brakes. I just like the weight savings and ease of set up. But would buy another set in the future.

King, XTR, XT, Bullseye

[Sep 28, 2001]
Andy

Strength:

at least it is shaped like a hub

free hub body, berings, seals, QRs

came stock on my Fisher in '99 and were poor from the start, after first ride, had to re-pack it with grease because they didn't use any/enough. regreased free-hub with this cool little gizmo I picked up a long time ago and it lasted for another month without making much noise. Ten it just got bad, the dust caps are inneffective and I've been constantly cleaning and regreasing the internals, especially in the rear. When I tried to remove and replace the freehub body I found that it was not compatible with other systems so I finally tossed the wheel. The free-hub body comes off with a 12mm allen wrench (which nobody makes) and about 4000 ft-lbs of torque, which nobody can exert. I finally got mine off (just for fun) with an eight foot cheater bar, a full can of liquid wrench, a propane torch and a vise that had to be clamped to the I-Beams that support my house to supply enough opposing force. needless to say I couldn't use that hub anymore even if I wanted to and I definitely don't want to. I'd never sell anyone a bontrager rear hub and I'd have issues with even giving one away for free. They are significantly more hassle than they are worth.

everything under the sun, Shimano 600, D.A., STXRC, LX, XT, XTR, Chris King, Cane Creek, Mavics, and unfortunately two bontrager hubs that I no longer use.

[Sep 28, 2001]
Andy

Strength:

at least it is shaped like a hub

free hub body, berings, seals, QRs

[Sep 17, 2001]
L. Lynn Gardner

Strength:

Initially a very quite unit, rolls well with little resistance

Freewheel gave out, wound up track-standing yesterday on a steep section of "Hard Guy" trail.

I'm not sure I like them, I have nerver had a failure with a comparable product, I will check out the warranty today.

Mavic crossmax, XT etc.,

[Sep 18, 2000]
Nathan

Strength:

Came with bike

Rear hub is noisy ( droning noise when coasting- in cassete area). Sun & Ski sais it is normal on the hub- I say bull !
Front hubs were too tight and had to be re-adjusted.

Cheap Bontrager Superstock wheelset came on bike- OK, you get what you pay for.
No way I would pay for these hubs if I needed a new wheelset.

[May 02, 2001]
Tom

Strength:

Smooth rolling, low maintenance, three engagement pawls

I truly haven't found any, any forged hub that can withstand radial lacing must be good.

I bought these as a set, with Bontrager Mustang rims. I am truly happy with the performance of the hubs. After two years of thrashing, they are still going strong. I have had NO problems with the freehub...and I even had an incident with a large twig that took out my derailleur, axle, and skewer...never phased the hub. I will buy Bontrager again, unless I become wealthy, then it would be a set of Kings.

Acera, LX, OLD XT, STX

[Jun 02, 2001]
Nick

Strength:

???

quality control and

I got the disc wheelsets when I purchased the Shimano disc brakes. I noticed rear rotor was never true. I thought it was the rotor and purchased a new one. Same thing. Turns out the disc hub is not aligned. In the process of swapping out the rotors, the hub threads stripped. I used to be a mechanic at a bike shop for 6 years, and my opinion on these hubs are low. I can't wait until I can get these hubs replaced.

Mavics and Shimano

[Sep 08, 2000]
tyler

Strength:

Strong holds up to everything I put it threw. never any problems

what????????? never

second set of bontrager rims and hubs. love them. I wil nver buy any thing else.

[Jan 30, 2001]
Chuck

Strength:

Cheap

Lots of friction wheel does not role smoothly, makes a rumbling noise as though the bearings are dry. The free hub mechanism corrodes very easily. It took two bike shops to remove the freehub assembly so I could exchange it.

Dissappointed with the corrossion resistance and the amount of friction inherent in the hub. Would not buy it and plan to change the setup to Shimano or Chris King whichever I can afford at the time. 3 months of service before major overhaul is uncalled for in a mountain bike which must live in a hostile environment to machinery.

Shimano