American Classic Ultralight Disc-Brake Hubs Hub

• Silver or Black

• USER REVIEWS

[Jun 29, 2010]
    hookooeekoo

Strength:

lightweight

Customer Service SuckS!!
    Weak design, bearing failures

dont by em, no customer service and they will fail!

chris king, atom lab, halo,

[Mar 08, 2006]
    Evan Price

Strength:

Very light, decent enough construction

do they have any seals? wouldn't appear to be the case
    should you really break a rear axle without going off anything bigger than knee height?

Bearings have been replaced twice within a year...the good news being that you can use standard bearings and go and get yourself cheaper yet better quality (refering to seals) bearings from SKF or other bearing manufacturers.
    I broke the rear axle...not sure how as I don't jump off anything, they replaced it free but upon looking at the design i could see why, their is one point where the amount of metal holding the system together is well, lets say less than you might feel comfortable with!

They're superlight but this light for this money and something's gotta give...i guess you get what you pay for!

Shimano LX hubs

[Feb 24, 2006]
    Brandon Kirk

Strength:

It's black

rear hub spins freely in both directions

I've posted a more detailed review under the "wheelset" listing; basically, the 2 paper-thin pawls broke after less than 20 rides. I never stand up and "hammer," though it did happen during a race, putting me out of the year's toughest competition when I was in the best shape of my life. Don't rely on these hubs as anything other than paperweights.

XT

[Oct 14, 2005]
    Nate

Strength:

-light
    -roll smooth
    -American Classic customer service (excellent)

-like all light products it may be a little fragile if you're hard on 'em
    -they're supposed to have a little play when they're mounted at first it was a little wierd feeling, but I got used to the washey feeling

At first I hated these hubs. I even broke the rear axel (I don't know how). I called Amer Classic and they had a new axel to me the very next day, no questions asked --awesome!

These hubs are supposed to have a little play when mounted correctly. I am used to the feeling now and actually like it.

I do not take these hubs on freeriding expeditions, but many of my races are just as hard with no time for forgiveness on my gear. Besides the axel breaking in one race (I've had about 40 races on these hubs -NORBA series, Xterra series and local Thurs night races at N-Star) they've worked well.

I've read all of the reviews below and believe that American may have had some issues in the past, but I'm willing to give 'em the benefit of the doubt and go for a top rating. Especially since their customer service overnighted me a new axel with no questions asked.

CrossMax (I had a bad experience with these hubs, they were grabbey and hard to adjust)
    Bontrager
    Ritchey

[Mar 10, 2002]
    Noah

Strength:

In theory, good design, big fan of grease injection, but.......

The outboard drive side bearing disintegrated in exactly 1 week of riding. Granted, this was under some serious backcountry touring pressure, but still, Alivio should even last longer than that.

I'm having the shop that build this wheel up for me (after a previous Bonty Asym rim split along the seam, also touring) replace it with an XTR. Touring in developing nations is not the time or place for equiment that fails that quickly. Great concept, but I'm guessing the execution needs work badly, better bearings would be a good start. Of course, the woman who co-runs the shop was shocked to see it, said they'd had over a hundred of these hubsets out on the trail, and never had a failure like that one. But like I said, out with the AmClassic, in with heavier, but bomber reliable XTR.

WTB, White Industries, Shimano, Ritchey, Specialized, and so on

[Oct 12, 2002]
    Bob

Strength:

smooth, strong, light. This is the latest version, with the 'groove'.....and sealed bearings.

The 'clicking' of the freewheel is very low.....nothing to scare the bears off!

This is my second set of American Classic disc hubs. The first were great and were the ones with the ports. I sold those so I could mount these up to a set of Rhyno Lite rims and get a bigger contact patch. I guess I'm a Clyde and ride hard and slow. I don't do any BIG jumps, but I do come down hard at times from the smaller ones. I feel that these hubs are PERFECT for the kind of riding I do. (Along with the bike) I like the weight and strength of them, along with their build. I've had no problems with them at all, even though I've had the wheels trued once. I've bent my saddle rails, but not the wheelset. I'm 225 lbs so I'm not a light weight and the bike is about 30 lbs, so its not a racer setup. These hubs are part of a great build by Mike Garcia @ Oddsandendos.com. Thanks Mike!

American Classic, previous version, XT.

[Feb 05, 2002]
    Eric Hos

Strength:

Definitely lightweight. My scales said 152 front, 258 rear, no skewers.

Machining finish was a bit rough, not like the Kings or Tunes, but I guess the price is lower too. Spoke size on the rear was a bit unusual (259/260 on Mavic 317s)

Dunno why the guys complained about the bearing sizes. 15x28x7mm, easy to find at bearing supply places or online (miniaturebearing.com, etc). The listed 15267 bearing number seems to be wrong on the AM website tho.

I got the supposedly newer model with no grease ports and improved freehub mech. AM guys told me that the rear hub with the grease port had people pumping too much grease, or too thick grease into the freehub, killing the ratchet return. So far I'm perfectly staisfied. I'll put on the next 100 miles and see how it holds.

Tune King/Kong w/317, King DiscoTech w/WTB Laserdisc. Replaced Spinergy Spox that had PBO Spokes 'soften'.

[Jan 30, 2002]
    Craig

Bearing/Axle design.

This is an additional posting. I found this on road bike review. Turns out the axle design does NOT isolate the side load placed on the bearings as many designs do. If you over tighten the quick release you can roach these bearings.

I use the non disc hubs for my road bike. I really wanted to like these hubs, but I can't recommend them until they change the design. It's a shame because the folks at AMClassic were very helpful and built up a very strong set of wheels for me.

[Jan 29, 2002]
    David K

Strength:

Light, rolls *very* well. Grease port for easy lubing.

Weak bearings. Leaks grease on your discs! Poor product support. Takes about 30 degrees to engage the freehub. This is annoying when trying to place the pedals in tough terrain.

I installed the rear hub.

Within 2 months, it started leaking grease out of the seals. This occasionally got on the disc rotors and I had no back brakes! They would leak for 500 miles or more after greasing, so simply wiping the excess away from the seals before every ride didn't help.

Within 6 months, the outer bearing in the freehub disintegrated. They said they were going to warranty all 4 bearings, but they charged the bike shop for 2 of the 4. They said that they were going to send enough seals to put on all the bearings, but they only sent 2 seals. The replaced seals leaked within 40 miles.

Replaced this hub a with Chris Kings and am VERY happy now.

I'd give these 0 chilis if I could.

Coda, Chris King

[Jan 28, 2002]
    Craig

Strength:

Silent free hub.

Bearings. They use a 15mm X 26mm X 7mm sealed bearing. NOT a Standard size.

I have the extralight hubs built up as my road wheels. I use the mtn hub instead of the smaller hub on the front. Though these are my road wheels, I thought a posting here would be helpful to others thinking about purchasing these hubs.

I have 1500+ miles on the bearings with no trouble, but those are road miles as I said. But the bearings do trouble me. They are not standard! Ringle, for instance, uses the standard 15mm X 28mm X 7mm bearing (6902RS). They are slightly larger and thus more durable. They are also available from multiple companies. The smaller size bearings are probably not as well suited to the demands of mtb as are the 6902RS.

I have been told that AmClassic is moving to a standard bearing. Wait until they do and you will have a great hubset.