Vee Rubber Vee 8 Fatbike Tire

Vee Rubber Vee 8 Fatbike Tire

The Vee 8 is comprised of rows of 8Tapered and ramped lugs acrossThe entireTire.The slightly smaller knobs (than onThe Vee 6) make ThisTire a speed demon.ThisTire is perfect for medium-To hard-packed dirt. Intended Use: MountainTPI: 120Tire Diameter: 26”

[Mar 31, 2017]
GuzziBen

Strength:

Tight handling, easy tubeless mounting.

Haven't tested in poor conditions.

This isn't a long-term review, I'll update in the future.
I've got these mounted on a 80mm rim, they measure 3.75" at 15psi.
The ride is smooth- not silent, but nowhere near as loud and without the low-speed vibration of the Bulldozer XL's.
After running the 4.7's, they look skinny, so I did measure. I took them for a quick pavement ride (It's too wet to play on the trails here) and I find they like to be leaned into a corner. There's no change in character, they just send you around- feels like a sportbike tire!
I didn't notice any tendency for self-steer, very neutral.

Closest to this? Michelin Country Rock

[Oct 17, 2014]
coyotegulch

Strength:

Cheap

Self steer
Unstable

I bought these in the 26x4 for my fat bike. I wanted something inexpensive I could ride on single track. These served one f my purposes in being cheap. Other than that they are a waste. I used them for one 13 mile ride trying different pressure with the same disappointing results.swapped them out for a pair of Husker Du's and the ride improved 300%. The Vee 8s self steer and cause instability in corners.

Larry
Nate
Husker Du

[Jan 11, 2014]
Varaxis

Strength:

High puncture resistance
Sturdy casing
Quick rolling

700g for a 29x2.1 tire

This tire is to SoCal hardpack like ice skates are to ice. Super fast going straight and manages to have a direct carving feel. It looks narrow and it likes high pressure, but it seems to go through pockets of sand without tripping, bogging down just a little. The casing feels tough and puncture resistant, something you wouldn't expect from a 120 tpi casing, but it's heavy for a 2.1 tire at 700g.

I set this up split-tube-ghetto-tubeless and have been riding on it for the past 6 months on my Niner Air9 RDO, with a tubeless 2.4 Racing Ralph up front. I've flatted the front twice in the past 2 weeks, and notice that it picks up a lot of goatheads while exploring nearby hills and dirt. On the other hand, I've not found any sticking into the Vee 8. I can only assume that its casing repels them. I run the 2.1 with 30 psi in it. Any lower and it seems to lose some lateral grip, slips on off-cambers, and becomes squirmy (losing stability in general).

I've been happy enough to not feel like peeling off this tire. Its rubber compound isn't the grippiest, but is very well behaved, more comparable to Maxxis rubber in dry hardpack conditions than other compounds. I've been able to climb all the steep dry and dusty hardpack climbs with no more than the usual amount of "scratching" feedback. It responds to weight pretty well, slipping around tight corners if I move my weight up, but sticking if I shift my weight back over it if I need it to follow the front as expected. After about 6 months, I expect tires to be at least half life, but it seems to only have its edges softened.

I'm no racer and I don't train, but I get excited when I improve my average speed by over 0.1 MPH over a local 7 mile loop that I often ride many afternoons before sunset. After tuning up my bike for my last ride, I decided to see how fast I could ride my loop and managed to break my 12 MPH average speed plateau (11.6 was the fastest I remember doing it the last time).

This tire seems great for training and inspires you to ride harder. It really is fast for riding foothills, canyons, and around the base of mountains. For climbing, its main drawback, the weight, will hold you back, but during training that's results in a better workout and that weight seems to be going into durability. It's simply a good value reliable dry hardpack tire. For $40, I'd hesitate a bit, but when on sale for 25% or more bringing it under $30, I'd recommend it. Can't speak for any other conditions, other than for dry SW USA desert conditions, but so far I'm impressed. I'm certain to try Vee Rubber in the future.

Slant 6 UST, Ikon 2.2 EXc EXO, X-King ProTection, Hutchinson Cobra, Duro Miner, Michelin Country Dry2