Schwalbe Marathon Plus ATB Fatbike Tire

Schwalbe Marathon Plus ATB Fatbike Tire

The lightly-treaded Marathon Plus uses a kevlar belt for puncture resistance. Perfect for MTBs onThe street, commuter bikes, and more. Silica compound for easy rolling and long life Marathon Plus features New Smartguard puncture protectionTo resistThorns, shards, and evenThumbtacks Dual CompoundTechnology with Race Guard puncture protection (india rubber and nylon fabric) Built-in suspension which absorbs over 36% of vibrations atThe handlebar Kevlar-MB belt puncture protectio

[Sep 09, 2012]
Anders Frederiksen

Strength:

I'm reluctant to list any - as it basically does not fit. But I guess the thread pattern is OK and the puncture guard might be OK.

To small for standard 700C rims! Basically does not qualify as a bike tire in my book ("28-622": 700C*28 version)
Result: BUMPY ride!

First tire (at least in the last 20 years) that I'm not able to fit without tire irons. I spent over 10 hours and broke 4 good tire irons /trying/ to get this to seat correctly on two different rims. Basically there's ALWAYS a dip somewhere on the rim - I can move the dip it around but never remove it. Looks like the wire is just to short!
After riding it some weeks, I tried to move it to yet another rim today - but the problem is still there. I mounted another (bought two of those thrashy tires - doooh!) on the old rim. I was actually able to fit this one better. Not OK, but bearable. And it only took an hour... ;-P

Bottomline: DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME on this crappy Indonesian produced tire. Even if you are lucky to get one in the better end of the tolerances it'll still be a bumpy ride. And punctures on the road will be absolutely hell to fix!!!!

PS: I've been in contact with the Germans - and to be fair I've listed their reply below. In my book their product does not qualify as a tire - and I find it fairly unprofessional that they don't take action (either altering their design or implementing proper quality control at their manufacturing plant / supplier).

From Schwalbe:
>> Thank you for your message. Fitting difficulties often arise when the diameters of the rim and the tire do not match perfectly. Rims may have a tolerance in diameter of +/- 0,5mm. In addition, the height of the rim flank also may have a tolerance of +/- 0,5mm. This adds up to a complete tolernace of +/-1,55 in the outside diameter, or of +/- 4,7mm in the outer circumference. This corresponds to a maximum possible circumferential difference of 9,4mm between the largest and smallest rim. A tire must fit on both extremes. Because of safe fit must be ensured even on the smallest permissble rim diameter, the proper centering of the tire on the largest permissible rim can prove quite difficult. The circumferential tolerance of Schwalbe tires is +/- 1mm. The Marathon Plus has proven to be extremly difficult to fit, particulary in the very narrow version. Through the rigidity of the tire, the slips repeatedly from the drop-center and it is extremely hard to pull the last piece of the tire over the rim flange. <<
A third hand, holding the tire tight in the drop-center on the opposite side, is very helpful here. Instead of a "third hand", a zip tie or an old pedal strap can help keep the tire firmly in the drop-center during fitting. Maybe our assembly fluid Easy Fit could be of help.

[Dec 12, 2010]
AntiNSA

Strength:

Low Rolling Resistance
Heavy (I cant notice)
Plush/absorbs road better than 120 psi slicks
So fast I cant believe it (Maybe just stronger)
Good Grip
Added Confidence

Price
seems slightly off round on front wheel.. no notice when riding as far as ride. Perhaps not seeded well

I ride around 200-350 km per week daily commute here in Guangzhou China. I had lots of flats on my bontrager slicks reaclite hardcase. The satellite hardcase were sooooooooooo slow. I imagined the Schwalbe Marathon Pluses would be slow and hearvy. I have the Normal 700x38c not the mb whatever kind. the racelites I had were 700x32. I am soooo surpised. Only when going up big hills can I notice I am a little slower. I dotn know if my strength has just gotten better or what, but I cant notice the difference at all nearly with these and my slicks. Even with the extra cuschion. I wish I could have got the 700x45 version, but this was the biggest I could find around here. Hard to get in China. I have read so many awesome reviews fo people that rode these around the world without a flat. I got these for their durability and have rode them about 250 km so far. Not much but they feel awesome on the bike. I weigh 82 kilos and normally have my panier bags loaded. Also pull my kids in a trailer . These are awesome. The front tire seems slightly off round.. but might not be seated correctly. If you are trying to decide between these and the extremes, Id go with these anyday due to their strength/durability. The shop guy put these on this time , not my self, but he got them on my rims like a normal tire, with no difficulty at all. I wish I was riding rught now.

Bontrager Satellite Hardcase
Bontrager Racelite Hardcase slicks

[Oct 14, 2010]
sanchez

Strength:

Unbelievably durable

Heavy, getting them on the rim took some effort

I'm riding them for at least 5 years I think and never had a puncture. I ride over broken glass, through thorned bushes, over pointy rocks (of course also concrete and asphalt). I don't brake very much when going up a curb. When on gravel roads I often just hit the front break so the front wheel locks and come to a stand still from at least 15mph with the front wheel locked all the time (It's fun to me...).

I think that qualifies as pretty abusive treatment. That said, I NEVER had a puncture. I really think if you get a puncture with this tire, you made a mistake when installing it (no offense intended).

The profile is the only reason I'm looking for a new tire now and why the overall rating misses a Chili. I need something more nobby by now. The continuous surface in the center of the tire is nice for the streets but it's just horrible in the woods when you're climbing a steep hill over damp roots etc).

I'm running the 26" x 2.00" versions front and rear on "good rims".

If you never want to worry about punctures again, get this tire. It will save you time and money because you don't need to do repairs. I always recommend the Marathon Plus series to everyone of my friends with frequent punctures. Makes for perfectly care free riding.

Random, cheap, "nobby-ish" tires

[Sep 20, 2010]
Nicholas

Strength:

I didnt find any strenghts with this tyre at all. I have had them three months travelled 700kms on paved roads and had a puncture.

Heavy , Heavy , Heavy.. Squirmy in the wet and tyres do puncture.

Do not believe the marketing hype.. I ride 120kms a week (Road commutting) on flat paved roads and after 635kms I had a puncture. Note: When I had these tyres put on I also had new tubes fitted. The tyres are extremley heavy and feel very squirmy in the wet actually they are not that grippy in the dry either.. I simply could not imagine a worse tyre. The tyres have now done about 700kms and I will replace them for a lighter grippier faster tyre in the next few weeks. I will ask the bike shop to donate the Schwalble tyres for free to 'anyone' that wants them.

Michelin City 700x40C

[Sep 08, 2009]
Cilo

Strength:

I guess it is not indestructable but i could not puncture it in a year, where the others took only one or two rides to get flat.
Reflective sidewalls are really good in traffic where drivers can't see your headlight or the flasher on the back.
With high pressures it rolls great and no sound on pavement. Fair grip in other conditions.

It is lighter than a stone wheel, heavier than all the other tires. 1,2 kg per tire... (2 pounds and 10 ounces.)

An all around good performer and incredibly flat-proof. If you don't care about weight, these tires are perfect... I omitted my puncture set from my pack 6 months ago and have not regret it for now...

Bontrager, continental and kenda tires.

[Apr 27, 2009]
Brian

Strength:

Durability and Puncture resistance, reflective sidewall

If i had to say something the tread could be a little more aggressive, a little squirrely in the softpack...but if Im riding strictly that Ill put on other tires anyway

Have goatheads in your area? Then these are your new best friend! I was getting flats about every other time out until I bought these (even with liners and slime), and since then whenever Ive used them its like no worries! Glass and road debris have not been able to puncture them either, so on that note they are outstanding. The tread life on these also seems really good to me, so although they cost more than alot of tires I looked at, in the long run I think the value of these tires is better too. Ive got over 1000 miles on mine and just starting to notice the detail on the knobs wearing off, should last alot longer. Im 6'3 and 250, so a lighter rider may even fare better. (In contrast, the stock tires on my bike were pretty worn down after 300 miles!) They run like a hybrid tire too, roll nice on the hard trail or paved and they hold alright in the dirt, gravel and mud. Watch out for the soft stuff though, not enough tread to dig you through for example a sandy wash. Bottom line, this is all I'm putting on my everyday bike from here on out.

Bontrager Jones ACX, some other Bontrager weak stuff that came on the bike

[Mar 19, 2009]
Marco

Strength:

Reflective sidewall. Look nice.

Heavy. Slow. Dont' live up to advertising.

Well. I suppose there is always the negative of any product. Here it is..... I use slicks for communting to work and back and do about 200km a week on the bike.

I got these tires because of all of the hype, they cost a lot and were very heavy but wanted to give them a try. BAD MISTAKE. They are really slow and they puncture like any other tire I have had.

Bottm line.... Save yourself the money. Get a good pair of light racing tyres and good quality tire liners. Go faster and get fewer punctures!

[Dec 19, 2008]
Rufudufus

Strength:

Resists punctures
Long tread life
Reflective sidewall

1.7 is pretty fat

This is for the Marathon XC, not the ATB. The tread on the XC is v-shaped, it doesn't have the continuous center tread in the picture. I bought a 1.7, but it's about the same size as some 1.9s I've had. I mostly commute on this bike, but I do some trail riding on it and the tire has been OK.

Have not had a flat since I've installed it, and I've gone through several broken bottles. I used to flat every few months, so i think this tire is doing it's job well.

Recently we've had some snow storms, and the XC gets pretty good traction. It's sketchy on icy patches, but what isn't?

Overall I'm happy with it. I was expecting it to be a bit skinnier (I had the shop order it, they didn't have any on the shelf), but I don't really mind the extra volume because I do take it off road occasionally and I sometimes commute through snow. If I were strictly commuting on dry pavement I'd get something narrower, but then I wouldn't be posting on MTBR. :-) For somebody looking for a low maintenance, do everything, street/trail tire, this is a good choice.

After 6 months of commuting 4 miles a day, the tread on the rear tread looks like new, so I expect I'll be riding this a long time.

3 value chiles 'cause it's the most expensive tire I've ever bought, 5 overall for long life and no flats!

[Jul 24, 2008]
Rollinabout

Strength:

The Schwalbe Marathon Plus ATB is great. I mounted it on the rear. I wanted smoother road riding with no flats, durability, plus the chance to do light dirt riding whenever I saw the chance - and it delivers on these fine. I've had no flats in a year of riding. It has worked well in easy-going combo road/dirt usage. The reflective sidewall is a nice road feature. The bead around the center makes road riding pretty smooth and hasn't seemed to get in the way of light dirt/gravel riding where it's been a reliable gripper. After a year, the center bead is wearing well though starting to show some wear, and the knobs have held up with no cracks at all.

None. I have read that others consider it heavy but I don't have any issue with its weight.

It is working nicely for weekend warrior road/dirt combo riding, and all-around town riding. Tough and reliable. They were a little pricey, but have shown themselves to be a value because it has really delivered on the promise of durability.

Bontrager Revolt Super X.

[Jan 29, 2006]
Ifestion Papadam
Downhiller

Strength:

Absolutely FLATPROOF!!! Robust construction, it seems they will last for ever.

Only the weight, almost 1.2 Kg, but that's the price for none flats.

An amazing tyre for someone who want's to FORGET THE FLATS FOREVER, and doesn't care for the extra weight. I use them daily for more than 40 Km distance, going through broken glasses, nails, thorns and going up and down the pavement. I tested them even on normal off road tracks and they behave very secure. I'm still using my first tubes on them and the bottom line is that they are very robust and relliable tires for normal all around use, on the most hostile conditions.

Continental, Hutchisson