WTB WeirWolf 29 x 2.55 LT 29er Tire

WeirWolf 29 x 2.55 LT

WTB Weirwolf LT Kevlar Tire 29 x 2.5": Lower profile fast rolling knobs, large volume casing; TCS: Tubeless Compatible System combines the ride benefits of a tubeless tire with the minimal weight of a race tire; Dual DNA: centerline compound

zepp3lin   Weekend Warrior [Oct 17, 2010]
Strength:

Good grip tyre on my front 29er wheel.

WTB claim is not valid for the measurement of 2.55". 2.55" if convert to mm = 64.77mm and these 29er Weirwolf LT only measures about 56mm on my veneer caliper. It's a lose of about 9mm wide and it's a lot. It's only a mere 2.2 or 2.3" in size. I do not know why but I think WTB are using a made in China ruler to measure their tyre product or WTB engineering does not go for a basic measurement school. I felt cheated and dissapointed due to the size.

I trust WTB with their Exiwolf and Wolverine 29 tyres that I owned before. I felt cheated when I received the product that are not what they claim. Measure my rig? Whet kind of bull is that? Furthermore their price is very steep.

Similar Products Used: Exiwolf and wolverine 29er
Tasselhof   Cross Country Rider [Sep 28, 2010]
Strength:

Volume, traction

Weight

My favorite tyres for summer time.

kestrel242   Cross Country Rider [Aug 08, 2010]
Strength:

Fast!, Grips well, Cushy

Likes to pick up small pebbles between its knobs

So far, this tire is my new all-time favorite. It's the first and only tire I've experienced that rolls like a proper race tire yet sticks and behaves predictably like a trail tire. I just wish they offered a 650b size!

My conditions in So. Cal are either dry hardpack or loose over hardpack. I've used them in Mammoth Lakes on rockier and looser conditions without needing to change a thing.

BeerBikeBerm   Cross Country Rider [Apr 03, 2010]
Strength:

Excellent performance that went beyond my expectations. The ultimate front tire for a rigid bike. Durable, reliable, light, fast, grippy, and TUBELESS (warranty void, of course)

I am grabbing here, but: So large it actually catches wind and throws me off course on blustery days. Holds on to mud better than some tires. I don't even want to mention it, but the promise of a 2.55 tire can be disappointing if that is what you expect (I was not expecting after reading the reviews below). After running this tire, I am not sure I would actually want a 2.55 tire... That would be in the 1000+ gram range, and would catch too much wind, which adds up on a single speed, even on the front.

The ultimate compromise in high-volume 29er tires. It is light (enough), fast (enough) and grippy (yes, enough). Very durable running Stans tubeless. The volume exceeded my expectations, however, I WAS aware they were not 2.55 when I purchased them. Not sure why WTB called them that? Feels like 2.55? Will rub your frame and fork if you are unlucky? That's how big they are after mud puddles?

Ran them front and rear until I picked up a Nano-Raptor for the rear. Running the nano in the reverse direction, I think I have found my SS rigid tire combo for as long as WTB makes these tires.

Similar Products Used: Nevegal 2.2 29er, Nano Raptor 2.1 29er, Exiwolf 29er, cyclocross tires. Tons of 26er tires.
goldsbar   Cross Country Rider [Nov 22, 2009]
Strength:

Plush, fast and good grip

2.55" based on some stretched ruler
No thorn resistance

With a rigid bike, I wanted the biggest tire I could find up front. While this tire is wide, it's not nearly 2.55". More like 2.25-2.30". Still, it's plush and offers up some really good grip (haven't tried on the back, though) with low rolling resistance. A combination that's tough to find. One of the best all-around tires I've used whether 26er or 29er.

zebulon   Cross Country Rider [Sep 25, 2009]
Strength:

big round tire delivers great suspension and flotation. fast and rolls well, light for it's size, and reasonably tough. best for a rigid set-up (required where I live)

barely fits the frame (occasional rub), unpredictable cornering at the lowest pressures the big volume allows, requires attention match the pressure to the conditions

I hope it stays on the market forever, otherwise i'll have to get a pugsley

Similar Products Used: conventional heavy shoulder tire
SSRG   Cross Country Rider [Aug 14, 2009]
Strength:

big, grip in dry conditions

none yet

as part of my quest to get the best 29er tire set up for wasatch summer conditions (dry, dusty, gravelly and ROCKY!) been using the prowler on the rear of my fully rigid, SS for about 10 rides. can run it at low pressure, ~25 psi with a tube and no pinch flats yet and feels super plush which is nice on a rigid front end. grips really well in the dry, dusty, rocky stuff - better than i thought given the nob size, but there are a lot of knobs. replaced a conti mtn king which is an ok tire until things get loose then it seems to wander around a lot and i could never get the pressure dialed. it was either high and bouncy or too low then i'd flat. the weirwolf is bigger and much more point and shoot due to grip and plushness. don't know what it's like in the mud since i usually don't ride the mud too much. but in the rough and dusty conditions in the wasatch in summer this is an awesome front tire.

Similar Products Used: mtn. king, saguaro, prowler, exiwolf
hairylegs   Cross Country Rider [Dec 11, 2008]
Strength:

This tire is so big that my bike computer's diameter setting doesn't go up that high. It is huge.
It's also very plush! You can dial down to 25 psi with tubes, 20 tubeless. Hands down the best front tire on a rigid bike. The big size is great, turns trail chatter into a plush ride. Cornering feels really stable.

Three problems with these tires, none of which have anything to do with how they ride-
First, the casing pierces easily. Before I converted to tubeless, I started calling these tires "the incredible goat head location device" because I got an unreal number of flats. Stan's tubeless solved this problem, but it was a major headache with tubes.
Next- Because it's a big tire (which is a strength) and because it has a thin casing, it's hard to convert these tires to tubeless. It can be done for sure, but the initial inflation is a bear.
Finally- when you're on a single speed and climbing dry to dusty trails, you can overwhelm the rear wheel traction too easily. It's surprising because the traction is so good on this tire everywhere else.

Until there's more big fatty 29er tire, these are the only tires I'll consider rolling on the front of a rigid bike. I'm less impressed with the back tire performance but I'm not looking to replace the rear immediately because it's still a very good tire.

I give is a slightly lower value rating, because I feel like if I say it's a good value, WTB will figure they should hike up the price.

AK47   Cross Country Rider [Sep 26, 2008]
Strength:

Awesome traction, rolls so fast for a big tire, cush

None, I mean NONE.

This tire goes like stink! I am blown away at how fast it rolls for a big tire. The traction is absolutely off the charts as well. I've only tried it in the bone dry conditions we have right now in Nor Cal, but in those conditions, it's velcro like traction. Really. For a big tire one would think it would be heavy and slow. Not this tire...

I am running it with an WTB Exiwolf rear. I can't imagine using any other front tire for my Niner. It's awesome.