WTB Vulpine 29er 29er Tire

Bigger wheels already roll faster with their decreased angle of attack and enhanced momentum. The Vulpine 29″ brings the Wagon Wheel to an entirely new level of speed, while the side knobs provide grip in corners.

Josh   [Jun 23, 2014]
Strength:

good grip on pavement
fast

everything else

a very fast tire, that being said i blew out this tire after two hours of it coming stock on my bike. They are remarkably thin. I wouldn't trust this tire to anything other than pavement. They couldn't handle a trail on their best day.

enduro95   Racer [Feb 24, 2013]
Strength:

-The tire rolls super fast in a straight line
-is good for tacky hardpack

lack of grip in cornering and loose climbs
not the most durable tire

These came stock on my hard tail, both front and rear wheel. As a front tire- it is just plain scary once you hit anything loose or anything that isnt perfectly smooth. I like doing more technical mountain biking, and these tires just didnt cut it, especially for racing. Most of the races i do have tons of loose rocks and lots of tight corners, these tires couldnt take them with speed and i lost all confidence in cornering because of it. Lots of wipeouts and washouts because of these. If looking for a tire that is good for commuting, and and can handle a little bit of singletrack a slower speeds, then these might be for you, but dont use as a front tire!

acewray   Cross Country Rider [Jul 28, 2011]
Strength:

Light, low rolling resistance.

For fire roads or city ridining only. Not good on wet roots or rocks. Works poorly when set up tubeless.

Have had great luck setting the above tires up tubeless using Stan's products (except Velociraptor), but the Vulpine has been a bear. Nothing like riding along and POW, it blows off your 29" ZTR tubeless rim. This also happened with my 26" Mavic's using the same version twice. This is the only tire that this has happened repeatedly, but has NEVER happened with the other WTB tires. Sure, it's not a dedicated UST tire, but they don't make one in this version.
Advice: Ride city or fire roads and only use tubes.

Similar Products Used: Velociraptors, Wolverines, Weirwolfs, & Prowler
TheOuvs   Racer [Apr 02, 2011]
Strength:

I am using the 29er version and It works great as a rear tire. It's fast, rolls nice and I have no problem holding the rocks and roots in Michigan. I have no flats with this tire yet and it seems to be holding up very well.

Can't find one yet, but I don't think I would use it in mud.

I race in the sport division and am 6'!" 225lbs and this tire is fast, holds my line, climbs very well and is fun to ride. I highly recommend this tire for the rear, I have no clue what this would do on the front. I use a Maxxis Ignitor up front witch is a great front tire. Bottom Line - its fast and does what I want it to do at a fair price.

Similar Products Used: Conti Race Kine, Schwalbe Racket Ron and Racing Ralph
Martin   Weekend Warrior [Jul 08, 2010]
Strength:

Extremely Fast rolling tyre. Noticeably faster than any other tyre I have ridden on hardpack. If you throw the bike onto the side, the side knobs will bite reasonably well.

Doesn't like loose soft sand... I have 3 broken ribs to account for this... got a bit carried away, as I knoew the tyres weakness.

Fantastic tyre for farm road and hardpack type rides... performs reasonably well on road too. Must just understand that they are not great on single track. If your brave enough, they will work! Don't get carried away though, otherwise you will find yourself on your butt!

Similar Products Used: Bonty XDX, Maxxis Crossmark
coff1962   Weekend Warrior [Jun 15, 2010]
Strength:

low rolling resistance, good cornering, good grip, light

wears quickly

My favorite rear tire. Used the 26 version for 1.5 seasons of riding and racing here in OK, and loved it. After the side walls finally gave out I replaced it with a Maxxis Monorail. The Monorail was ok but not as fast. The 29er version of the Vulpine is better than the 26 version just by being bigger, the whole 29 vs. 26 thing. I have been looking for a back tire I like better than the Vulpine. The latest is the Maxxis Aspen, nice tire good traction but not near as fast and less volume.
Traction on climes is surprisingly good, we don’t have a lot of big long climes here in OK. Sucks in Oklahoma mud, but I have not found a tire that is good in mud. Great tire for someone who has lots of dry single track and likes low rolling resistance. I have not even though about using this as a front tire, I would probably kill myself. This is defiantly a rear only tire.

Similar Products Used: Maxxis Aspen, Continental Speed King
tfinator   Weekend Warrior [May 18, 2009]
Strength:

low rolling resist

traction, width

this is the one thing i am intent on replacing on my bike. the rolling resistance is really low, so you can really max out your speed in hardpack conditions. that being said, the tread is so mussy that if you try to turn at all once youve built speed youre done for. i spend most of my time wacthing my front traction to make sure my wheel doesnt slip out at even the slightest sign of softgravel or sand, and then i spend the other time trying to balance perfectly to gain traction on climbs. get this tire if youre into light riding, on hardpack, or some road riding.

agu   Cross Country Rider [Feb 01, 2009]
Strength:

Minimal rolling resistance on hardpack. Relatively light. Understated graphics.

Best used on hardpack/dry trails.

I used the Vulpine as a rear tire, mated to a Maxxis Ignitor in the front. This combo was fast on the road ride to the trail and on hardpack conditions. Tires rolls great and is quiet. It also has a surprising amount of grip - and despite suffering some slippage on a loose, sandy climb, just a little rider input, weight shift and they hooked up again. Haven't yet tried them on looser conditions. The side knobs let you lean the bike a bit into the turns.

If you ride or race in dry or hardpack conditions, consider this tire - at least for the rear.