WTB Stout 29er 29er Tire

The most aggressive tire in WTB’s comprehensive 29er line, the Stout 29″ performs in soft, loose and rough terrain with exceptional stability and easy lean transitions. This tire’s staggered, square blocks provide an efficient centerline, while the open spacing allows the tread to pierce soft soil when carving turns or braking. The well-supported blocks stay firm on hardpack and asphalt.

dblspeed   [May 09, 2012]
Strength:

Overall excellent traction in all conditions, tough and durable, perfect amount of volume, neither too much nor too little for my frames and forks, ie On One Scandal, Banshee Paradox, Reba U-turn, Manitou Drake.
Very predictable, corners and brakes great.
Easy "notubes" set up on flow rims.

Heavy, slow rolling, but it is not a race or even an xc tire!

Great tire, fears nothing, not a light race or XC tire by any means and not up to par with the latest AMDH offerings, ie Dissent etc, but those would not be so great as the Stout for all day adventures on any type of terrain.

Flyin'W   Cross Country Rider [Oct 22, 2010]
Strength:

Great cornering, side hill tracking, rough terrain performance, and durability.

Slow rolling & heavy +1000g.

Stout up front, Rampage in back, the Stout tracks and corners better than a Rampage did up front. Must run higher PSI, as it has less volume than the Rampage. Great tire for rocky rough terrain, but @ 1000g seems far too heavy for a rear.
To me, tire volume is key for rough trails, and I only wish that tire sizing made sense. ERTO = Stout/60, and Rampage/58, listed as 2.3 & 2.35 is contradictory.

Similar Products Used: Bonty ACX, Kenda Klaw, Pana Rampage, Geax Saguaro.
Tasselhof   Cross Country Rider [Sep 28, 2010]
Strength:

Great traction
Big volume

My choise for winter/mud.

cruzean   Weekend Warrior [Feb 12, 2010]
Strength:

Incredible grip, strong sidewall, not too heavy, roll better than Rampage. Give a nice ride and let you ride scary fast. I bought 8 of them.

none other than I beleive they do not make them any more and they wear a bit fast. WTB, if you are listening please bring these back.

These tires are great for big guys like me (210 lbs). Incredible grip, strong and compliant side wall let you run low to med pressure. Replaces my IRC Kujo DH and Rampage and now I roll a lot faster and never lose traction. A great all around tire. On both my HT and FS bikes.

Similar Products Used: Rampage, Fire, IRC, ...
fatoldslow   Cross Country Rider [Aug 31, 2009]
Strength:

grip, tuff, handle well

a little heavy, wear quickly

These are great tires for a ridge single speed. Can run low air and not worry about snake bite. These grip like good mtn. bike tires are suppose to and never surprise you by sliding out at the worse possible time. Only 2 little problems here---weight and they wear pretty fast. Still great tires.

tees_riot   Cross Country Rider [Jun 13, 2009]
Strength:

wrap around knobs, firm sidewall, dual compound

weight, grip not as solid as expected

Read good things, was looking for more aggressive tread for soft, loose conditions. Good performance in rock garden and roots but not quite as grippy as I expected by reputation. Also picked up and did not clear well in barely wet, not truly muddy trail condition. Will continue to evaluate and perhaps drop my air pressure for next round.

Similar Products Used: Small Block 8, Nevegal, Racing Ralph
Trond   Weekend Warrior [Jan 29, 2009]
Strength:

Massive grip, excellent knobs for wet trails, compliant and yet puncture resistant.

high rolling resistance

This is THE grippiest 29er tire to date. My definite go-to tire for wet conditions - which is 60-70% of the riding I do here in Norway. Incredible grip, compliant, it just doesn't slip on climbs. Amazing cornering in the wet and mud. It could roll a little faster, but I wouldn't give up the grip for it. Top marks for its intended use!

Similar Products Used: exiwolf, racing ralph, crossmark, rampage, nevegal, system 4, the crow
pcupach   Weekend Warrior [Sep 21, 2008]
Strength:

Knobs that actually grab the trail instead of just looking cool

I wish the Stout was a real tubeless tire.

Ive ran various tires on my RIP.
The Maxis ignitor was undoubtably the worst tire Ive had up front. No traction in any direction!!
The Racing Ralph was a good tire but the side wall blew out when a AZ rock bit through it on a fire road (RR are to expensive to replace)
Geax Sagura is a great tire for the price. I have it on my front wheel of my SS
I went back Rampages this season. They offered great traction, speed, control..but I always wished I had more traction going into turns or on high banked trails
So I decided to replace the Rampage that I had up front wth WTB Stout (Im runing it tubeless).
Big traction improvement!!
The front end grabs and stays where I point the bike like never before. I rode the Stout on varous terrain from high alpine (10K+), forest floor, loose chunky rocks, some sand to loose gravel roads. The Stout was point and go all the way!! I was particularly enjoying the effective traction when I was teetering on the wrong side of a (loose dirt/loose rocks/pine needles) single track with a 300 foot drop off. The tire didnt slide away it held its ground as I pedaled out of certain pain. This example is just one of many the tire held its ground. Basically it enabled me to clear obstacles and take a better route than before. If you are worried about the big knobs slowing you down dont--Becasue of the better traction the Stout offers you can do what you want instead of slowing down. Or you could just pedal more/faster/harder.

Similar Products Used: Maxis Ignitors, Rampages, Racing Ralphs, Geax Sagura
sean salach   Cross Country Rider [Sep 20, 2008]
Strength:

nearly unstoppable traction, tought sidewalls, rolls quickly enough.

a little heavy, but not really noticeable up front where i keep it.

if you like to ride aggressively, sometimes stupidly, push the bike into turns, charge through rock gardens, this tire is top notch up front. i haven't used it out back because i only have one and don't really want to take it off the front. i love it. it's very confidence inspiring. turning traction better than any other 29" tire i've used, much more durable rubber than a rampage, sturdy casing. it's worth the weight for 'aggressive xc'. i'm 6'4, 200, and prefer long rides(3+ hrs, 20+++ miles), technical terrain and trying to ride fast enough to scare myself. if you're similar, you'll probably love this tire.

Similar Products Used: rampage, xr, ignitor, weirwolf, exiwolf, crossmark, motoraptor, nanoraptor