WTB Nano Raptor 29er Tire

The Nano Raptor 29er is a XC racing specialist with a round-profile, micro-knob design and large supportive casingThat will help you powerThrough any rough racecourses and roll withThe punches on longTrail rides.The elevated centerlineTread rolls quickly on asphalt and hardpack, whileThe numerous working-edgesTrack predictably in loose over harkpack conditions.The Nano Raptor is a popular choice for shortTrack XC races, dirt jumping and urban sessions. Aramid bead DNA rubber compound Wei

Wasmachineman NL   [Jun 06, 2012]
Strength:

Pretty much an good allround tyre

No anti flat layer.

This one came standard on my Z29, It works great in the mud and on forest soil, Not so great in loose sand though, Ive ridden one flat with this tyre, it was an thumb tacker that got stuck in my tyre, Its an good tyre but because of the flat protection I did not rate it 5 chillis'.

rnseltz   Weekend Warrior [Dec 09, 2011]

Came stock on my bike. Took off the nano up front immediately. Now riding a captain control on the front. Have been running the nano in the back for over six months and have been waiting for it to wear out to replace. On Monday, got a side wall cut. Just converted both wheels to tubeless using the stans kit and put the old front nano on the back. Ran the nano today at 25psi and it was a different tire. Gripped well and didn't feel squirrely like it used too. Trail had everything from sand, gravel, sharp shale, rock gardens, stream crossings, big rocks....

Happy now to keep riding this tire, but won't replace it with another nano.

Bottom line, run at a lower pressure tubeless and it doesn't suck as much.

aaronutah2   Cross Country Rider [Jul 30, 2011]
Strength:

light, fast, sets up Stans tubless.

poor traction, wears very fast.

Nearly as as fast and light as the SB8 but worse traction on loose over hard pack. DNA rubber chucked off fast. May work in softer soil. Utah trails tend to bullet hard dirt peppered with half exposed rocks and sprinkled with gravel. Disappointed.

Similar Products Used: SB8, Maxis Ardent, WTB Prowler, Continental MTN King
JamnJames   Weekend Warrior [Mar 30, 2011]
Strength:

Tough, Fast

Heavy

Bottom line is I have this on the back of my SS 29er and won't be taking it off. I love it on hard pack! More grip than any of the other XC tires I have tried, but still fast. When it gets super tech I do need a little more when I torque down. I attribute some of this to my chain stays being too long, but my Nano Raptor inherits some of the blame also. Look this is not for wet leaves. Its not for 2" of mud. Ride these in the summer.

5-chili's for value because you can get these at a steal every so often.
4-chili's for the rating because nothing is perfect.

Similar Products Used: Ignitor, Racing Ralph's, Small Block 8
Heathrow   Cross Country Rider [Mar 20, 2011]
Strength:

rolling speed, looks

none so far

great tire for some street and most trail surfaces.

Similar Products Used: maxxis holy roller, cst caballero
BeerBikeBerm   Cross Country Rider [Jan 03, 2011]
Strength:

Reminds me of a mini Weirwolf LT: great compromise between traction, volume, durability and weight. This is no "obsolete classic". Does very well tubeless on Stans Flow and Arch rims.

Has excellent traction in ONE direction, not so great in the other direction.
Ex) When I run it on the rear, climbing traction is merely acceptable until I run it reversed, at which point it is incredible. But in reverse, the braking and cornering traction is terrible.

On the front only good for racing or casual riding. It washes out quickly (although I have always been able to catch it as it happens early).

No, most companies do not condone tubeless on their tubed tires, with good reason. But some tires end up working VERY well tubeless, and this is one of them (at least for me, 140lb, aggressive XC).

I've run them tubeless on SS rear, front with 100mm fork, front rigid, geared hardtail rear. While front rigid is not a good match, it does excellent on geared, and pretty good on SS. Best of all, it continues to last, and has tough casing that works well with my tubeless setup. I've bottomed out about 30+ times so far and have even picked a carpentry staple out of the tire: no flat, it sealed.

Does XC very well, holds it's own on rougher shtuff.

For reliability, durability and quite decent performance, 4 for value.

I rate this in terms of dry XC riding, so considering this:
4 for overall. What keeps it from a 5 is the uni-directional performance on the rear. You can either climb, or brake, your choice1

Similar Products Used: for 29er lower volume XC: Kenda Karma 1.9, Maxxis Ignitor 2.1, WTB Prowler SL 2.1
OSnap   Cross Country Rider [Mar 11, 2009]
Strength:

Fast rolling tire - light - longlasting

well in mudd and wet roots they are lame...but so is everything else

I like this tire more than the fasttracks and crossmarks - for me it I seemed to get a little better traction out of these and they seem just as fast. However I wouldn't use any of these tires for a front tire.

Also the treads on these tires have lasted a lot longer than I would have ever thought - I've been running these off and on for 2+ years (I ride about 3-4 times a week) and they don't show much wear at all. That's why I gave the good Value rating

Similar Products Used: Specialized fast track, maxxis crossmarks and ignitor
tbaier   Weekend Warrior [Feb 16, 2009]
Strength:

Loves the hard stuff.

Runs screaming at even the mention of mud.

I like this tire a lot, but you just have to be careful of the conditions you use it in. Running one on the back of my Salsa El Mariachi and its great for road and HARDPACK. I was very impressed with the traction while climbing even compared to much knobbier tires like the Rampage and Ignitor. I don't feel like I lose anything (except weight and rolling resistance!) when I sub it for a Rampage when the conditions permit.

Unfortunately the trial I most often ride borders water so there are small sections where streams cross and its ALWAYS muddy - even when the rest of the trail is a dustbowl. I can usually make it through these sections with the Nano but the problem is when I continue to ride down the trail, they have a hard time shedding the mud. They'll stay gummed up even at a decent speed. The tight knob spacing really hangs on to it. I don't expect a tire like this to have much traction in the mud, so it doesn't lose points for that.

If you have the right conditions, these are great light, fast tires that can be had for pretty cheap.

abosch   Cross Country Rider [Jun 18, 2008]
Strength:

Fast & light

traction & hard cornering

Great deal for a good tire. If you are looking for a 'meatier' tire, go elsewhere. If you are looking for a fast and light cross country tire, this is it. In dry conditions of sunny California, it's great.