WTB ExiWolf 29er Race 29er Tire

ExiWolf 29er Race

A big, high air volumeTire for your 29er MTB. Ideal for wet and loose conditions whereTraction is at a premium."Race" levelTire features a lightweight casing and folding bead, plus DNA rubber. For 700c (29er) wheels claimed 825 grams

David   [May 17, 2013]
Strength:

this tire was a huge improvemant over my stock Kendas. the WTB's traction is amazing, corners extremely well even at high speeds, take offs are faster, downhill over large rocks is a breeze, takes sand and rock gardens extremely well.

a little heavy but not noticable when riding at all in fact I go faster than with my previous much lighter tires.

you can't go worng with this tire its amazing.

Salem Biker   Weekend Warrior [Jun 09, 2009]
Strength:

Much better then the Bontrager XDX that came with the Gary Fisher Cobia. Been riding for 15+ years, not a novice rider here... Went with a Cobia to stay away from Hydrua-leak breaks. Front and Rear, the rear I have no complaints. I have seemed to lose a little bit of traction, but that is only once in a great while on a very hard climb, or roots that are slightly wet. So, they have good grip in the rear. Run at 40 pounds. The fronts are OK, but still like to wash out in loose stones and dirt on hardpack berms. My training route has a great high speed down hill, that I have ridden 100's of times on the 26 and took it as fast as I dare. Now, I am scared of that corner on the 29er.

Cornering high speed on loose stones and sandy berms BITE, well actually they don't Bite, they wash out. I have tried some different tire pressures, but no improvement. I am actually considering turing the front tire around, and see if things improve. Has anyone had any luck on front tiers that they have turned around for better traction?

I would like to try a WTB Wierwolf, but not in a 2.5 size. I will wait to see if they make a 2.2 size. Also, I would love to see deep front tire treads. No one makes any 29ers with front deep treads. Why Not?

I would like to say, if WTB, decreases the diametere of the 29er tires so they can get deeper treads, it is a combination that would really help. Probably be the hottest selling 29er front tier, because no one is satisfied with 29er front wheel steering in loose conditions.

The Tire Manufacturer that can come out with a " Front ONLY" Tire that can corner, will corner the market on front tires... (pun intended)

Ben   Cross Country Rider [May 05, 2008]
Strength:

Cushion, strength, dry traction, lightweight

Poor in deep mud

I have ridden this tire in the regular and race configuration. This is not a do everything tire as it doesn't have the lugs for deep mud and crud. However, if you ride a mix of terrain and want a fast and durable tire, the ExiWolf is a winner. I read one poster's comments about there being better tires out there now. Well I've tried those "newer and better tires" and let me tell ya', newer does not equal better!

I'm 200#, was riding some Panaracer Rampage on my Monocog and felt like they were a good tire for a rigid bike, then I switched them to my Rita and they sucked! Went back to the ExiWolf on the Rita and it was love!! I think folks look at tires as being good or bad based on conditions, but there's more to it than conditions alone. You also need to look at rider style, terrain, and bike configuration.

The ExiWolf is the right tire for someone who is riding a hardtail, wants a firm rider (laterally), without losing the cush of a 29er. If I rode an area that gets muddy in the rainy season, I might switch out to a more lugged tire, but once things dried out I'd be back on the ExiWolf, it's a superior ride for roots, rocks, and firm conditions.

Similar Products Used: Exi Wolf, Rampage
Anthony   [Jan 29, 2007]

I originally bought my 29er with Ignitors. When I swapped out the rear tire for an Exiwolf, I immediately noticed a huge difference. More grip, less squirm and overall much better feeling, especially since I am 250+ and put a ton of weight on the back. Works great in the snow.

No complaints, I would give it 5/5 except that the Panaracer Rampage is just too awesome.

Similar Products Used: Panaracer Rampage, Maxxis Ignitor
Stefan Griebel   Cross Country Rider [Dec 21, 2006]
Strength:

High volume, fast rolling, tough casing. Can run ~20-23 psi and never pinch flat.

Heavier than most. Not a race tire, IMO.

This is my favorite tire for rough and rocky conditions. I rode the entire Colorado Trail with Exiwolves front and back without getting a single flat. You can pump 'em up to 50 psi for a faster feel, or leave 'em at 25psi for a cushy ride. At low psi, these tires climb up dry rocks and roots like they're made of sticky rubber! They also seem to wear quite well, and I've gotten probably 1000 miles out of a pair. The only negatives I can think of are the extra weight (well worth it for a tire this tough), and the tendency to wash out on high speed, sandy corners.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Jones XR, Conti Vapor Pro, Kenda Klaw XT, Nanoraptors, Moto raptors
Slim Pickens   [Dec 21, 2006]
Strength:

cushy, tough, fast rolling, cheap, good grip on rock/wood/dirt, lots of volume for frames w/o much tire clearance

heavy, packs mud, mediocre traction in loose conditions

This tire is voluminous but it fits in a fairly narrow frame. The short knobs concentrated on the crown mean the widest point of the tire is further from the bottom bracket than most, and it fits easily where a nevegal won't.

Similar Products Used: nanoraptor, motoraptor, nevegal, acx, klaw
GlowBoy   Cross Country Rider [Dec 20, 2006]
Strength:

Big volume -- until the recent advent of the Rampage, Resolution, Nevegal and WeirWolf this was THE biggest 29" tire. Fairly low rolling resistance. Um, that's about it.

If things get wet this tire will slip and it will pack up. Both will happen in a hurry. Sketchy side knobs. Heavy.

This tire became VERY popular when it came out a couple years ago because it was bigger than anything else available in the 29" world. Other than the volume and cush, the only real performance advantages are low rolling resistance and decent straight line performance in dry conditions. Just don't try to corner too hard in that dry stuff or you're going down, thanks to the lack of decent side knobs. Now that we have the Rampage, my Exi is headed for the classifieds.

Buy it if: well, don't buy it, period. Regardless of your intended use, there are now better choices available. The WeirWolf LT reportedly has comparable dry grip with bigger volume and lower rolling resistance. The Rampage grips at least as well overall with FAR better cornering and comparable rolling. The Nevegal reportedly grips better in all conditions and only rolls a bit slower. All three of these tires are as big or bigger than the Exi.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager XR, Bontrager ACX, Kenda Karma 1.9, Kenda Klaw, Kenda Khan, Maxxis Ignitor, Panaracer Rampage, Schwalbe Black Jack 1.9, WTB ExiWolf, WTB Nanoraptor, and too many smaller 700c tires to count.
Z   Racer [Apr 04, 2008]
Strength:

Very good volume for a SS rigid setup. Great traction in most situations. Very durable casing. Works awesome with Stans tubeless setup in the thorny cacti environment I ride in...no flats! knock on my woody

Heavy but it's a trade-off, lower profile side lugs but I have not experienced too much reduced cornering

Weight weenies suck it! If you drink beer and ride a rigid single speed purple warrior do you really need to care about another pound of weight. I don't...heck, most of us probably carry extra weight in our gut we don't think to complain about. The volume is awesome and the tire is super durable. I ride in a very rocky, thorny, cactus plaqued area and have never had a flat running stans... awesome tubeless compatibility by the way. For reference I'm 6'3" 200lbs and race the single speed class getting outstanding results with this tire...I've had flats with every other tire I've used...not this one KOW

Similar Products Used: IRC Notos-weak-donkey side walls...I've blown out 2 in less than a season...Bontrager Jones...not as beefy casing=more flats
Fleas   [Nov 07, 2007]
Strength:

Good cush.
GREAT braking.

Limited lateral traction.

I have only used this tire on the front for more cushion with the rigid fork. I rode the same 10-mile loop - once with the Ignitor, once with the Exi.
These tires were FANTASTIC under straight-line braking. They are not exceedingly heavy for their size.
As compared to the Ignitor it replaced, it has better braking, but less cornering. When it does start to let go, it is very predictable. I had plenty of time to correct my line, but I could not ride the same line as with the Ignitor. The characteristics in mud are also very predictable.
The additional volume made the tree roots feel quite small, which is why I bought them (and that I got them for cheap). I don't shy away from anything that's lower than my front axle and these tires made me feel like I could just plow over stuff.
It's great for cush., great for braking, good for cornering.