Stans NoTubes Crow 29x2 29er Tire

Crow 29x2

Features a much stronger bead design than other tires on the market making it the only folding bead tire recommend for tubeless use. It features a soft & supple 120 TPI casing, large air volume (a real 2.0), fast rolling, and very light. Intended for low pressure use, 20-40 PSI maximum, this low pressure gives such traction that tread is almost not needed. The Crow tire will spin much faster due to the low tread height. Making it one of the fastest spinning tires.

Gobiking   Cross Country Rider [Mar 20, 2011]
Strength:

Light, fast, and great traction!

What an incredible tire! The only limitation to this tire would have to be on an absolutely wet and soggy course. Otherwise, with a 29er they are the way to go! Extremely light, durable, and great traction. These tires will surprise you.

lkosl46305   Racer [Dec 31, 2008]
Strength:

great traction rolls fast

rode today in a snow storm and never had traction issues.these things hooked up and never slid or washed out.I've used kenda karmas which I love but for under 500 grams these are the best tires out there period

Similar Products Used: kenda karma
srwings   Cross Country Rider [Jul 28, 2008]
Strength:

- These tires roll very nicely.
- Your hard tail will feel like a full suspension bike with these tires at the recommended 25 psi.
- Did quite well hooking up on hill climbs with loose rocks and inch or two of dust.
- Does very nicely in rocky descents.
- One of lightest tires out there. My 29er Crows weighed in at 450 grams each. By comparison the Specialized Fast Trak Pro 29er tire weighs in at 590 grams.
- While the Crows are semi slicks they will do ok for the occasional mud hole or wet hill climb.
- Excellent loose gravel tire. They float nice and roll fast.
- Work great on dry secondary roads.
- The Crows are superb in hard pack to slightly moist but firm soil.
- Excellent on dry fire roads and gravel.
- Will perform nicely on asphalt if your race course includes some of that.

Limitations:
- I'm not too good when it comes to cornering and the Crows did nothing to improve my confidence. Some of it me and some of it the tire, I suppose. I've never gone down on the Crows but I have had times when the tire started to wash out without much warning.
- These are pretty much race tires given that they are best suited to a more narrow range of trail conditions than a more knobby tire. But if you are looking to get the best possible race time when those conditions exist this is your tire.
- I maintained two complete set of race wheels. The Crows on one set and another set with a Rampage on the back and a Fast Trak on the front. Sort of a hassle dragging two sets of wheels to a race and then stewing over which set to use. I gave up and just decided to run Fast Traks.
- I wish Stans made a version with some knobs on the side.
- Consider running a Crow on the back and a knobby up front for looser conditions.

Crows are a niche XC and endurance race tire that will serve you well under the right trail conditions. Give these tires a shot if you are willing to do everything possible to get on the podium.

Best used for: XC and endurance racing on tracks where there's not a lot of hard cornering in loose soil.

Anecdotes:
I used these tires for a 13 hour endurance race and they were perfect for the event (dry to tacky trail with no hard turns). Side wall hits were my main concern during this race since there were a number of sharp, abrasive rocks. The sidewalls survived all the rocky hits no problem. I'm very glad I used the Crows.

I also took the tires to Panama with me for two weeks of riding on 4WD roads. It was the dry season so traction was excellent on the clay soil. I put a small hole in the sidewall while screwing around bunny hopping sharp curbs in the city. A tire patch and Stans sealant fixed that though. Despite taking that sidewall leak, the Crows really impressed me during fast descents over baby heads. During an all out one mile gnarly descent of nothing but loose sharp rocks I fully expected to puncture the Crows but they held in there no problem and allowed me to descend much faster than I would have on another tires.

Similar Products Used: Rampages, Fast Traks, Exiwolfs, Ignitors, etc.
Rob   Racer [May 20, 2008]
Strength:

Light and fast.

Like all tires it is not for all conditions.

This is a great tire for hardpack. It can handle rocks, but other tires are better for those conditions. It will spin out on hills when you get out of the saddle if it is loose and you do not pull up on the bars. I would not even think of riding it in med. to deep mud. Some light mud is fine.

Use it for what it was made for and you will love this tire!

Similar Products Used: Python
Adam   Racer [Aug 14, 2007]
Strength:

Fast!Fast!Light,low rolling resistance

It is a race tire so it is not as durable as others

I run this tire in the rear and have done 6 races so far and love it.You just have to be aware that it is a race tire but suprisingly it hooks well!I think i already mentioned it is fast!

Similar Products Used: About all 29er tires nothing quite the same
Andrew   Racer [Apr 10, 2007]
Strength:

Fast rolling, remarkably good traction for such a slick tire

cuts easily

Fast rolling and remarkably grippy for such a low-profile tread tire. Light, fast grippy - what more could you want? Well, if you race or ride anywhere with rocks, look out. I cut a sidewall on this thing very easily.

Similar Products Used: all.
Todd   [Apr 05, 2007]
Strength:

Very light tire with minimal tread for fast rolling hardpack.

Weak sidewalls, too expensive.

I bought these tires thinking they were a perfect match for the Leadville Trail 100. The light weight and minimal tread looked perfect for the mostly fast rolling course with a mix of pavement/hardpack/and some loose stuff. I found out at mile 52 on the way down from the turn around that I had cut the sidewall. The Stan's No Tubes sealant was not able to fill the cut and I had to install a tube. Bottom line is they would probably be fine if a side cut was impossible due to the conditions. Definitely would not race LT100 again on these.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Jones
Warren   Racer [Apr 03, 2007]
Strength:

Very low rolling resistance and rotating weight

HORRIBLE traction in wet conditions and while braking. WEAK sidewall. $$$Fitty Bucks!Per tire!!

My first race of the season was on an 8-mile lap course that contained forest roads, soggy singletrack, and a ton of loose and embedded rocks. I had these imitation tires mounted on Bonty Race 29 wheels with Stans rim strip and sealant - about 21 psi. The only section that these tires were of ANY use at all was on the fire road. These were the worst tire choice I've ever made. Traction was non-existant. Three miles into the race a loose rock torn a two inch hole in my sidewall. DNF

The only use for these tires in a racing situation would be in a race where ZERO braking was required - like an uphill time trail.

Similar Products Used: Never used anything this bad
Bruce Brown   Cross Country Rider [Mar 04, 2007]
Strength:

Lightweight race tire with surprising grip. The two I own are both sub 500 grams. Can be used tubed or tubeless.

Not the best tire when the combination of extreme dry, off camber and steep is mixed together.

I used these in 4 races last season which including some mud, climbing, sand, leaves and buff singletrack. They were champs for the courses I used them on and I have no complaints. It is surprising how much grip they actually provide in spite of the visual of such low profile knobs. The only course I pre-rode last year where they were not good was at 7 Oaks in Boone, IA. I went down hard a few times as they washed out too often. Obiously, I decided to use another tire for the race. However, they were champs on the other courses I rode. No tire is perfect for all conditions, but these can be the right tool for the right course and conditions.