Specialized Purgatory Control 2Bliss Ready 29er Tire

Specialized Purgatory Control 2Bliss Ready 29er Tire

[Dec 17, 2013]
steg211

Strength:

Traction, low rolling resistance, tubeless setup, weight.

Sometimes slips but hooks up again quickly.

Have this tire on the front of my Stumpjumper and I really like it.
It has low rolling resistance but still hooks good up front.
I've used it on hardpack and light mud. I will say it sometimes slips in fast corners. But so far has always caught traction again before i have time to get my foot out to catch myself. Never had it completely wash.
I'm 210lbs and ride aggressively.
I run about 23psi in it up front.
I might try an Ardent next just to change things up.

OVERALL
[Jan 22, 2012]
mtnbiker72

Strength:

Big volume, Tubeless Ready, Good Rolling Resistance, Rear Traction

Front Traction

My bike come with a Control and S-Works version of this tire. The only difference that I can tell is the more supple (and thinner) sidewall on the S-Works. Otherwise they perform very similarly.

On the back, this tire does very well as an all-around tire. It gets good traction in conditions from dry to slightly wet but does clog up in heavier mud. But it's not designed for heavy mud so that is not a criticism. Rolling resistance is surprisingly low for such a knobby tire, much lower than a comparable Nevegal.

Up front the tire is not quite as good. Its cornering is not confidence inspiring as the tire drifts up front while the rear hangs on. This causes understeer. I plan on replacing the front with a Eskar soon.

I'd give it a 5 for the rear and a 3 for the front