Specialized Fast Trak LK Control 29er Tire

Specialized Fast Trak LK Control 29er Tire

High-end competitive XC performance - Hardpack to Intermediate conditions. The best mountain bikers in the world need a large volume tire that rolls super fast, and the Fast Trak LK (with a 30% reduction in knob height from the original model) is that tire. The large footprint with reinforced side knobs hooks up in the fastest turns without slowing down a rider like Christoph Sauser.

• Casing: 420/D1 for 15% improved cut resistance
  • Bead: Aramid
  • Compound: 60a
  • Butyl wrapped bead = 2Bliss Ready
  • 29" x 2.0; psi 35-65

[Apr 01, 2015]
woodensword

Strength:

Affordable, Grip like hell, fast rolling, good all rounder, excellent in breaking, controls well

Not bad in mud, but not the best

I have been in the game for a couple of years now and it is only recently that I saw the light and converted to the truth of a Single Speed,never to return to the lie of gears I once knew :-). When it came to tires, I had my fair share of rubber on my bikes. The time came for some replacements on my SS and it just so happened that the Specialized Fast Track Tires met my limited budget. I must admit that I was a bit skeptic at first. The grip surly looked a bit more for road biking than mountain terrain. I poped then on and away I went. Boy was I surprised.

On the tar road to the woods/bush was a dream. Good grip and easy rolling. Now for the African woods/bush test. Loose gravel: makes way like Moses parting the red sea. Hard ground: reminds me of a nice tar road, can't tel the difference . Thick sand: speed over it like a desert demon. Uphill: no slipping, solid grip. Tree roots: chop them like an ax, surprisingly stick to them well. Mud: not the best for mud, but did not fall or get stuck once. Long grass: no problem. Lions, elephants, cheetahs and rhinos: did not catch me yet:-)

Final verdict: By far one of the best tires I ever had. Will stick with them until they are discontinued or I'm discontinued.

[Aug 13, 2012]
machine4321

Strength:

Decent price
Great grip in the rear
Set up tubeless easy

Didn't like it as a front tire.
Could be wider

Used as a front on short notice for a race. Tired worked well but I never felt very confident on it. Switched it to the rear and I think it's incredible. Not once did I lose grip when climbing.

For the price it's a great mid level tire. Might even try an sworks next.

Haven't had it long enough to comment on the wear but it's holding up ok so far.

Schwallabe rapid rob
Schwallabe racing ralph

[Mar 30, 2012]
Bob

Strength:

Fast roller, good corner grip, good braking. excellent transition from straight to cornering. Runs well tubeless with Stans. Very durable and long lasting.

Not the best tire in the mud

Very good racing tire, especially on hard pack and loose over hard. Handles rocky, technical sections well too. Fast roller, excellent cornering and braking. Tried the S Works version, but was getting too many sidewall cuts. That problem was eliminated with the Control. A bit heavier, but worth it for the sidewall durability. I highly recommend this tire for racers and experienced, aggressive cross country riders.

Bontrager Jones XR

[Jul 10, 2011]
acesEPIC

Strength:

Fast Trak LK Control 29 x 2", 2011 generation, 2Bliss ready
Fast rolling on road & on the dirt. Sidewall durability seems similar to Schwalbe Nobby Nic 29x2.2" (2011 generation).

My tyres weighed 625g & 622g. Of course, the lighter one is on the rear...

Oh BTW, early testing is with blasted tubes! I'll drop 200g each wheel when I take out the tubes & substitue STAN's!

Well this isn't a DH tire with super aggressive side knobs so these won't do that well...

At full battle rattle, I'm 185# & an aggressive XC rider type. I like technical rock gardens, & technical steep climbing challenges. I usually ride to my local trails, so spend some time on the road. Hence an off road tyre that isn't a dog on the road is important to me.

In order of traction ability from high - lesser:
Scwalbe Nobby Nics 29x2.2", SWork / Control Captain 29x2", Fast Trak LK Control 29x2" I'd suppose the Schwalbe Racing Ralph's would be similar to the Fast Trak's, albeit after spending $80+ for the RR's.

I just came off the Nobby Nics, which produce gobbs of traction & weren't too bad on road either. I'll probably save the NN's as my mud tires. Since its dried out around here, I wanted to goto a faster XC tyre. I had good success with the Swork Captain's & 26" SWork Fast Trak LK's, I figured to try one step racier & ordered Fast Trak LK's & one Renegade Control 29x1.95 for hard pack racing.

Wow! Talk about the evil laugh with a grin ear to ear. I start out at 30# on the road ride to my trails, then lower to about 23 - 25# for the dirt. What they say is true, in that you can run a racier low knob 29er tire & still get more than amble traction. In fact, the Nobby Nic 29ers are overkill for traction. The Fast Tracks are very fast on road, of course, that translates over to the dirt too.

I went a little heavier/durable than SWorks level for the Controls, because I wanted the more durable sidewalls. These Fast Trak LK Controls appear to have sidewalls comparable to the great Nobby Nics. Specialized listened to the prior complaints about sidewall tearing with SWork level. I see that as a non issue with this current iteration. The thicker sidewalls of the Controls allow me to run down to 20# & not pinch flat & that is thru rock garden's, yes sir!

So for about $55/tyre minus whatever your good guy discount is, these tyres are a great value for what they provide in steep climbing & cornering traction. Breaking traction is good, but who needs to slow down when your flyin'...

You might as well benefit from all the R&D the Big S can put behind their equipment. You can get a little more from your $$. Put these on the front of an SWorks Epic 29er with Renegades in the rear, oh yeah...

26" SWork Fast Trak LK's,Schwalbe Nobby Nics 29x2.2, SWorks Captain 29x2.0