Schwalbe Thunder Burt 29er Tire

Schwalbe Thunder Burt 29er Tire

The tire development goal was to combine the best of Racing Ralph and Furious Fred. At less than 400 g, the weight is almost exactly in the middle. With its many small lugs Thunder Burt is close on the heels of Racing Ralph regarding grip and in terms of rolling resistance its even better than Furious Fred.

[Jun 12, 2016]
Jim in Colorado
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Low rolling resistance
Better than expected traction
Really tough -- stood up to significant sidewall abuse

Traction when wet
Braking

Outstanding rolling, better than expected traction, have used them on rides/races with many rocks, had some sidewall encounters that I expected would result in a flat, but it keeps going. Does best on hard pack and rocks. Adequate on loose-over-hard.

Not good for wet -- once wet, traction on rocks or roots is very low until it dries out.

Locks up easily under heavy braking, but that is to be expected with a fast-rolling, low-knob tire. But it brakes better than a Maxxis Aspen.

Maxxis Aspen, Maxxis Crossmark, Specialized FastTrak, Racing Ralph

OVERALL
[Apr 12, 2014]
Ty FAulk

Strength:

Light

Not strong, even with SnakeSkin. Not any more tubeless ready than a non-tubeless ready tire, extremely narrow.

I looked at this tire cause I wanted a fast tire that was really light. I heard there were problems with punctures, so I bought the SnakeSkin version. I was also excited cause it was tubeless. So, first off, I tried to get the tire to inflate tubeless... The beed is not like a tubeless tire... Its loose. And even harder to inflate than a non-tubless ready tire! Secondly the rubber is not strong even with snake skin. 20 minutes into my FIRST ride it was punctured...
Third, I was VERY narrow! I have ridden 2.1 tires and this thing is not 2.1....

Maxxis Aspen is the old faithful....

OVERALL