Schwalbe Rocket Ron 29er Tire

Schwalbe Rocket Ron Tubeless Ready Tire Evo 29er: This super light ?Rocket? answers almost every demand at one time: Incredible grip with extremely low weight and fully loaded with all the latest technology ? 127-Evo-carcass, TL-Ready...

JIMSLICK   [Feb 08, 2014]
Strength:

Light weight, good traction, low rolling resistance

A bit pricey

I really can't understand people having so much trouble with this tire and giving it such bad reviews. Although I have the snakeskin tubeless ones and I don't know if the other reviewers have this exact tire or not and also I never use anything but my hands to mount or dismount aramid bead tires as I think it is real important to use the drop center of the rim to your full advantage so as not to over stretch the bead. Mine are tubeless on velocity blunt rims and I really like them.

Jerry   [Feb 02, 2014]
Strength:

Rolling resistance, transient cornering, predictability, weight.

I have the Rocket Ron HS 438 this is a great tire for all round riding
It has very good climbing and cornering traction
Cornering transient behavior is also very good. Traction at various lean angles is consistent, and there is no waiting/hoping for the tire to achieve bite with the side knobs.

Festusjrf   Weekend Warrior [Jan 08, 2014]
Strength:

Light, fast acceleration, straight line grip on hardpack

Very difficult to seat and keep in place, cornering traction is poor (side knobs fold over.)
very flexible side walls
does not run true wobbles

I have been riding tubeless for 10 years now and have to say this is the worst tire yet.
These came on my Air9 Carbon on Mavic Cross Max ST.I have to slow way down to corner as the side knobs fold and dont maintain traction. I tried to like them but on the first ride the tire (at 28 PSI) released air and I had to pump it up again. Back home I took it off cleaned rim and tire and tried to reinstall, several attempts with pump failed despite soapy water and cleaning. Gas station compressor did not work I ended up using a CO2 cartridge to seat it. Changed pressure to 32 one ride and the tire wobbles again and runs untrue with a bounce.
Long story short I tried to like it but the ride quality is poor due to low cornering grip and the constant reseating.

cnb   Cross Country Rider [May 28, 2013]
Strength:

very light, incredible grip

will not stay on the rims; sidewalls very thin and porous

I got two tires with a new 29er (Trek with Mustang rims). After a couple weeks of leaking Bontrager Super Juice like crazy, the rear tire would not stay on the rim even at 10 psi when set up tubeless (don't know if they would have stayed on the rims with tubes); even after a couple weeks of feeding them with Super Juice, they would still leak fluid out of dozens of tiny pores on the sidewalls; the sidewall cords were not completely covered with rubber - VERY thin. All in all a very scary tire. I replaced both. I think they stretched so that the beads were much bigger in diameter than the rims. When I first converted them to tubeless, they were reasonably hard to mount on the rims - like normal tires. But after a couple weeks they could be pulled off the rims with my index finger alone - no lever necessary. When I inflated them, they would blow off the rim at 10 psi, even when the wheels were off the bike. Two bike shops had no better luck when they tried to mount/inflate them. I've since used both Bontrager and Specialized tubeless ready tires on the rims with no problems whatsoever.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager, Specialized
bquick   [May 19, 2013]
Strength:

light weight

Used them with tubes. I don't think that it has stopped a single puncture vine yet. Riding them on rocky trails wore the tread down way too quickly.

Expensive tire that wears out quickly. Not resistant to punctures.

mtb_bkr   [May 29, 2012]
Strength:

grippy on hardpack

Everything else.... Weak sidewall, sketchy on rocks, expensive

I blew the sidewalls off 2 of these tires out last year within in 6 rides. This year, I bought a 29er and they came on it. My first ride, slowly riding uphill on a double track, the sidewall blew again!

I've replaced them with the Maxxis ikon, and I am loving those tires..

noot   Weekend Warrior [Apr 29, 2012]
Strength:

Great traction on anything but mud.
Very light by any standard. Extremely light considering the great traction.
Fast rolling

Weak sidewalls
Expensive... but worth it

First of all, don't give this tire a bad rep because it's weak. It warns you right on Schwalbe's product page:
"This is an out and out competition tire! Puncture protection and durability are limited!"

If you didn't listen, don't blame Schwalbe.

That said, for my trails this tire is fantastic. I use it on the front of my 29er with an Ikon in the back. Most of my trails are rooty dirt, with few rocks. I do a few weekend runs to the rockies where there are significantly more rocks, but still mainly rooty singletrack.

I'm 220lbs, usually run 25psi rear, 20psi front on Flow rims, only tubeless.

I haven't had one flat. My friend was running the 26x2.4's and got a dime-sized hole on his rear tire landing on a pile of sharp rocks. I wouldn't use this as a rear tire.

Traction is great. Weight is great. On the trails where I live, it's perfect for everything except the sticky mud that shows up in low spots a few hours after a long rain has stopped, but most tires clog up in this stuff.

The light weight makes acceleration noticeably easier than a heavier tire (especially on SS). Low rolling resistance. If you haven't had a tire this light and live in an area where you don't have to worry about sharp rocks, I highly recommend picking one of these up for the front. For the rear I'd stick with the Ikon or a Racing Ralph.

Yes they're expensive, but I don't think there's another ~500gram tire on the market with anywhere near this much traction. The low weight spoils you.

Similar Products Used: Schwable Hans Dampf, Maxxis Ikon (front and rear), Bontrager crap, Fire XC pro (26), Maxxis Crossmark (26)
xrodie   Racer [Apr 25, 2012]
Strength:

Excellent grip in all conditions. Light. Roll fast. Superior grip in corners. Easy set up with Stans. I run them between 16 and 24 PSI depending on the course. I weigh 78kg

They are sold as a race only tire and they do wear fast, but not unreasonably fast for a race tire. I've had mine on 4 months. Front tire has minimal wear, rear tires side knobs are ok, centre knobs are worn about halfway, but that might be a good thing for rolling on hardpack. Sidewalls on the rear have wear with threads starting to show from scuffing rocks.

The majority of my rides (70 %) have been on very rocky terrain, with the remainder on hardpack and loose over hard.

There are tires that have better grip, but they will weigh 50 to 100% more. My rating considers the lightness of the tire and the race light purpose. For a lightweight race tire these grip almost as a larger knob tire would. If you're rolling over rocks you shouldn't have much trouble for wear, but be careful about scuffing rocks with the sidewalls.. these can take little of that, but not a lot.

I do wish they were cheaper, but you get what you pay for. Race tires are expensive, so compared to other expensive race tires these are a good value because for grip they outperform most other race tires of the same price. I figure I'll get 160 to 180 hours of hard training and racing out of these, not withstanding an odd hard hit that would take out any race tire.

Mark McClanahan   [Apr 17, 2012]
Strength:

Lightweight, low rolling resistant, way better than Ralph for cornering and grip. Setup tubeless easily with Edge carbon wheels.

Very thin and delicate. Good for light trails in Michigan. Would not last 2 rides in Colorado.. I have lived both places.

Would only use for Dirt road riding and some light XC course racing.

Mellicent   Cross Country Rider [Apr 11, 2012]
Strength:

Lightweight but note the weaknesses

Paper thin sidewalls, soft knobbies, extremely hard to seal tubeless, constantly burps sealant

These tires are dangerous. The paper thin sidewalls are not durable and cause the tire to burp air and sealant in hard cornering and on roots and rocks. I bought them to replace a set of Hutchison Pythons that I had zero problems with but were worn out. The last straw was bunny hopping a log and when I landed, the front tire rolled and lost nearly all air. I went down hard due to the loss of front end stability. Luckily my shop is giving me a credit for these overpriced ($90 a piece????) thin dangerous tires. Buyer beware. BTW - I installed Tubeless Ready Maxxis Ardent and Cross Mark tires and they have been fantastic.