Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29er Tire

Surprisingly lightweight, the Schwalbe Racing Ralph TL Ready 29 is made for exactly what it's name says -- racing. It's Schwalbe's most successful race tire ever, and it's fast enough that you'll wonder if you're on Furious Freds, though it's far more durable. In comparison to the Rocket Ron, this tread pattern that's designed for flat-out speed means that its ultimate grip is less, but not by much. When you lay into the turns, an increase of open space through the transition knobs allows them to dig in and grip the trail. The secret to optimizing the Racing Ralph's performance wherever possible with regards to grip, durability, and rolling resistance is Schwalbe's Pacestar Triple Compound rubber. Its cornering is outstanding thanks in part to the soft rubber compound and to the U-shaped tread blocks on the shoulders. They're angled 20 degrees or so towards the outside of the tire, with siping that doesn't quite divide the block, creating the "U". These siped U-Blocks can deform easily and mold over the trail surface, working to counteract the lateral forces when you're cornering hard.The tire is designed to be tubeless ready (TL), which means you can say goodbye to pinch flats. A tubeless system allows you to run less air pressure, again enhancing the grip of the tire's tread. Better traction, less vibration, and no flats lead to a great ride. It's necessary to use a liquid sealant within the tire to seal the bead seat and to quickly seal thorn or debris punctures on the trail. The Schwalbe Racing Ralph TL Ready 29 is available in 29 x 2.25" or 29 x 2.4" widths.Tubeless 101: The Why and the How Explained.

cdadaa   Cross Country Rider [Jul 23, 2015]
Strength:

Weakest sidewall and tread of any tire I've ever used.
Price.
Requires a tube.

Weakest sidewall and tread of any tire I've ever used. I've had to do countless internal patches. Sealant ooze's through the sidewall they are so thin. I question these as tubeless (Rocket Ron included). They can't handle any sharp rock conditions without severe cuts on the sidewall and even the tread surface. In reality I paid $96 for a tubeless tire that requires a tube. Remind me why tubeless tires good? I will never buy Schwalbe's again. This is the first time ever I've written a review but felt compelled to do so to advise others.

Similar Products Used: Rocket Ron tubeless?? (with identical review), Rapid Rob tubeless (a little better), Nevegal, tubed
Jimmy Lewis   [Sep 06, 2014]
Strength:

Incredible cornering and climbing traction for such a fast rolling tire

Superior lack of rolling resistance

Light weight

Sidewalls are a bit thin and may be prone to flats. (But if you want a very lightweight tire, then this shouldn't matter to you)

Let me start off by saying I am an OCD freak when it comes to mountain bike tires. I have bought and tested about 8 of the most popular 29er XC tires on the market and the Shcwalbe Racing Ralph is by no doubt the greatest 29er tire I have ever had.

I ride in SoCal where loose gravel over hardpack is common in all the trails around here. Having a front tire that grips well in the corners is essential here, if you want to prevent a wash out. Of all the tires I have tried the Racing Ralphs by no doubt deliver the best cornering capabilities. It is a very confidence inspiring tires for when your going fast down the trails and encounter a sharp flat corner without a berm. These tires literally bite down on the dirt.

It gets better! These tires hardly have any rolling resistance!!! Of all the tires I have tested out again these were the fastest ones. It almost feels like a smooth and fast road bike tire made for the mountains! It's also very lightweight (which may not be practical if you're riding rough trails where you can encounter jagged rocks). However if you're a climber that wants to go as fast as possible with minimal rolling resistance and need superior cornering traction at the same time the Racing Ralphs will not disappoint you! I am shocked to see that such a lightweight and fast rolling tire can also provide such amazing cornering traction.

I am a dedicated XC racer and have won many races using these tires. I refuse to ride with any other tire!

nicolasswid   [May 25, 2014]
Strength:

Weight
Rolls fast
Grip in hardpack

Grip in loose
a bit fragile on rocky condition

This is a very good tire, light, rolls fast, sidewalls are flexible and tire is very supple, runs well at low pressure. It's predictable. People s say life is short, I think it's OK but the tire begin too look worn quicly due to the layer of soft gum wearing, but the tire keeps rolling. Had the snakeskin version which I recommend for tubeless, as it hve only a few grams more, and the sidewalls keeps flexible. Even with the snakeskin, it's not a tough tire, and not the ideal on rocky trails, had a few holes, I had to change for something beefier.

alonso   [Nov 15, 2013]
Strength:

light and cornering, good for rocks and roots

not to fast, weak material

it is a very good tire but .......

GranvilleGravel   Racer [Aug 06, 2013]
Strength:

Relatively light, decent all-around tire for different conditions.

Two flats during an important race! :(

I've been racing these tires in NUE 100 milers for several years, running them tubeless for the last two years. I typically get a pair to last for a whole season and haven't had any major issues until the latest race. In the Wilderness 101 -- known for its bountiful rock gardens -- I tore holes in both the front and rear on the same high speed, rocky descent. Having only one tube, I was SOL until another good soul threw me a tube. I think I will still trust these for "regular" races, but switch to something heftier for the W101 next year. The first set I ran tubeless weren't specifically made for that purpose -- it took a good amount of sealant to get the sidewalls to stop bubbling air. The newest pair are tubeless specific, but these are the ones that ripped one the rocks. Not sure if they tried to make them lighter or if I just had bad luck on these newest ones.

Matthew Glagola   [Jun 14, 2013]
Strength:

Good grip, light?

Tire is vulnerable to punctures and sidewall tears

I love the tire except that like other reviewers have noticed, it takes a lot of sealant to make them seal up, the sidewalls are weak, and really, I've destroyed a couple of them well before the tread wore out. That's not good.

Adventurer   Weekend Warrior [Mar 05, 2013]
Strength:

Low rolling resistance, light and fast.

Very dangerous tyre. I had the tyre roll off the rim at 40kph and was lucky to be alive.

I got this tyre with my recently purchased Giant Anthem 29er. At first I thought the tyre was fantastic with the speed, grip on the dirt (dry) and low noise on the asphalt. I jumped a kerb and got a pinch flat. Not something I've had before, but put it down to thin tubes. Thicker tubes (Schwalbe) & got another one on the rocks. Tyre pressure at 30psi. Anyway I tried out the tubeless system using Stans NoTubes and found that the tyres would stay up a day and then go down. I put this down to the loose tolerance - the tyre literally falls on the rim and the thin walls of the tyre. I went back to tubes on a ride due to a deflation, carefully drying out the casing and rim, (an yes it was dry and yes the tube was properly inserted) All was good until one high speed run down hill and a slight nudge on the gravel. The tyre popped off the front rim at 40 + kph and I rolled several times, luckily into a grassy verge. These tyres in my books are extremely dangerous and should be removed from the market. Never have I had such an experience and hopefully never again. The next day I bought some Kenda Nevegals and can say my confidence improved 100%.

Michael   Weekend Warrior [Mar 02, 2013]
Strength:

Lightweight, great grip, no tear issues so far!

None yet- after reading reviews just waiting for a ripped sidewall...

I recently bought a bike that included these stock. I had demoed a few other bikes, all with tubes (I wish shops would demo tubeless!) and was frustrated with all the tires I used- either they bounced all over the place, I got pinch flats, or both. These tires (tubeless) have been a key component of making my C'dale flash 29er a blast. Providing a bit of suspension and great grip. I run the front at about 26 and the rear about 32 psi. On one of the first rides I got a bad puncture probably from a nail, and new to tubeless, threw in a tube to ride home. Then I brought the tire to the shop to complain, and with fresh stans, they showed me that the tire was basically good as new.

Recently rode with too little pressure in the snow. Felt great, although I also felt the rims touch a few obstacles. Still have not had a burping issue, although my pressure in front is sometimes in the low 20s by the end of a longer ride when I haven't added Stans in a while.

These tires leave me feeling fast, confident, and in control climbing, cornering, and braking. Only tire I've ever preferred was a Continental Mountain King 2.2, which saved me from pinchflats in Moab. Also really liked the panaracer XC Fire Pro (2.1?), but with less stiff sidewalls and a tube, they were a pain to deal with- pinches too frequent and very hard to get on and off rim. Tubeless is so great!

Similar Products Used: S-works renegade (no fun) Conti Mountain King 2.2 (great, used with tube) Panaracer XC Fire Pro (good, glad not to have it anymore)
Jes   [Feb 26, 2013]
Strength:

Grip and speed and light?? You get what you pay for. And tubeless ready.

Pricey

This tire will handle everything but the most brutal rock gardens where more meat is needed. If these aren't grippy enough for you then it is probably pilot error. Pull up on the bars and you can climb a tree.

292beach   [Jan 22, 2013]
Strength:

lite tires

I tore the front tire on my second ride with these. The replacement has been better so far.

I would spend my money elsewhere.