Onza Canis 29er Tire

Canis

The CANIS combines low rolling resistance and perfect grip. Its profil makes him wild as a wolf and reliable as your neighbor’s dog. That makes the CANIS XC and All Mountain riders’ best friend.

Cayenne_Pepa   All Mountain Rider [Jun 30, 2017]
Strength:

~ High-volume 2.25" tire that rolls wicked fast
~ Sub-700g weight
~ Supple Skinwall casing is very cushy
~ Excels in loose, dry and dusty conditions
~ Great cornering tire

~ Requires higher pressures, for optimum results(> 25psi+)
~ Swiss Pricing

Initially, I thought this tire would not be enough for the rough, desert trail conditions I ride in. I was wrong. Pumped to 32psi - this tire measures a generous, 2.32" on my digital calipers... wider than an equivalent Maxxis Ikon 2.35" inflated to 28psi. These tires need higher pressures, due to the dual-durometer casing. Otherwise, you get unpredictable steering, lack of precision and a squirmy, wandering tire at pressures reserved only for Plus tires. At 2.25," the tire is at the lower spectrum of high-volume comfort and compliance. The retro-90s skinwall gives my bike the Nino Schurter WC look, without dumping thousands on A. Dugast sew-ups and DT Swiss carbon tubulars.

Remember - keep the pressures on the high side, and this tire will wow the crap outta you. Great for Marathon XC and all-day, Trail epics...

Similar Products Used: Bontrager XR4 2.35"
Maxxis Ikon 2.35"
Hutchinson Squale 2.30"
Michelin Wild Rock'r 2.30"
Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.35"
Continental Trail King 2.40"
OVERALL
personaX   All Mountain Rider [Jun 05, 2015]
Strength:

Grip, rolling resistance, weight

Thin sidewalls?

This review is for the 2.25" tubeless ready version. I have it on the rear on my full suspension bike, 30mm internal width carbon rim, set up tubeless.

I've done 200km of XC riding with this tire and so far been very pleased with it. The weight is great and rolling resistance is quite low. The best feat is however the grip. It hasn't been very wet in here recently, but on drier trails the tire hooks up extremely well. I've been able to clear 2 steep uphills for the first time with this tire mainly because it didn't slip once on the climbs.

The sidewalls are a bit thin but let's see how they hold up. Tubeless set up was a breeze, they didn't leak sealant through the sides at all.

I'm giving these 4 chilis and if I can get over 1000km of riding out of these without problems then I'll upgrade the rating to 5 chilis and will be buying another one for sure.